post your chicken coop pictures here!

Here is our coop, my hubby designed and built it into the former granary stall of our old barn. It was quite an expensive undertaking that is for sure, but it's super-safe, easy to clean and insulated. (note, it's not completely finished as we still need to add the nest boxes in the wired-up opening to the left side) but since our chicks are only 10 weeks old we still have about another month to go I am sure.

Looks great, but get that heat lamp out of there. At 10 weeks old, they don't need it, and it's too close to the roosting bars for safety. Feathers are highly flammable, and all it takes is one over excited chick to set everything on fire.

Here is our coop, my hubby designed and built it into the former granary stall of our old barn. It was quite an expensive undertaking that is for sure, but it's super-safe, easy to clean and insulated. (note, it's not completely finished as we still need to add the nest boxes in the wired-up opening to the left side) but since our chicks are only 10 weeks old we still have about another month to go I am sure.

Very Nice! I think you'll find that most chickens start laying around 20 to 25 weeks old.

Quote:
We saw an ermine (white winter coat on a stoat/short tailed weasel) by the house in November a few years ago. I have NO question that it could get through a 1" hole. I expect they are like cats, if the head fits, so will the rest of the body.

Quote:
I got mine from Amazon, it is good quality. Affordable only because of the free shipping. Longer rolls than at the big box stores and cheaper.

Here's the latest picture of my coop.. it's coming along.

Looks fabulous!

Quote:
X 2 on the heat lamp!!!! They are 6 weeks past needing any supplemental heat for the rest of their lives (yes even in Wisconsin). And before you raise another batch, check out the Mama Heating Pad brooder thread. WAY better than heat lamps for a lot of reasons.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update

Last edited:
If there are very many of the Least weasel around there is no point in trying to fence in the run. Ill get rid of the chickens before i spend a fortune on 1/2 inch hardware cloth and silicone caulk to seal every gap.

There is still a point, as there is a point to every predator boundary... Having large opening wire is like leaving the gate and front door wide open, while having a random crack or hole is like having a secret entrance or not locking a window...

When I leave my house I don't always check to make sure every window is closed and locked, but I always close and lock the front door, the same logic applies here locking the front door still offers a degree of security over leaving it open even if there are other entry points... Same with deadbolts on entry doors they fortify the obvious entrance and thus do offer some security even through a rock through a window will easily allow entrance...

There is always going to be a choice to be made on how secure you choose to be vs cost or what not, everyone plays that game, but on the same note you are only as secure as the weakest point...

Just joined the commercial farm camp. I installed a thermostat comtrolled exhaust fan in the 2x2 window. I was working in the coop yesterday and the birds were all walking around with mouths open. You could see they were too hot. Still have to wire it properly but, for now, it has an extension cord so they have air. It made a significant difference and since it is blowing out there is no draft issues. It probably wont run in cold weather but the ventilation in place should be adequate for humidity control.

Still in the building process of my Woods-style chicken coop, but it's enough to get the chickens out of my shop and into the coop. Still have to build the top window, paint, and lots of trim work to do. Looking forward to being done with the building process soon. My daughter seems to enjoy them as well :)

Be careful with that exhaust fan... As I'm sure you're aware, but for those who may not be... it is going to also be sucking up dander and dust which will coat blades, housing, motor, grill, etc. over time. This in turn will cause the motor to overheat, and could potentially cause a fire. Just be aware and have a schedule to clean it every so often.

Greetings and welcome to BYC @exalted512 ! Glad you joined us and EXCELLENT choice of design! Not sure where you live (cold/hot extremes) but hope you've made provision for covering/closing/sealing those side windows if/when needed. Your daughter is awesome! She sure looks to be enjoying herself immensely! Funny... she's more interested in the pine chips than the chickens
lau.gif
Aren't kids great?!

Thanks! No provisions yet, but I intend on doing something. I live in central Texas so it rarely freezes here. I'm more interested in something that'll block rain from getting inside. Haven't figured out exactly what I'm going to do yet.

She petted all the chickens when we put them in there. She was on to bigger and better things when these were taken, haha

Back
Top Bottom