post your chicken coop pictures here!

Oh they are
So glad you posted about the hawks and fencing the run's roof. BYCers are always saying how important it is to fortify our coops/runs from predators no matter from what angle they come!

We are dealing with a LOT of predators -- but the birds are definitely an issue! Hawks, owls, ravens, eagles... all will jump on the opportunity if handed to them! We went for a thicker metal mesh but a lot of people here just do string every foot or so. They say it works to deter the birds of prey, but I'd still be wary.

Good job, but open up those eave spaces for ventilation. The way the windows are placed will not provide sufficient air movement.

Do those windows look glassed in to you?​

Yes, the one on the side is clearly glassed as you can see the reflection in it, but the second part is also valid as the placement won't allow for good air movement even if fully screened... There needs to ventilation low and high to create proper air flow through the coop with placement of the roost taken into consideration as to not be in the draft between two vents... A roof jack on the high end of the roof would help a lot in that design with some smaller vents near the floor...

Last edited:
Yes, the one on the side is clearly glassed as you can see the reflection in it, but the second part is also valid as the placement won't allow for good air movement even if fully screened... There needs to ventilation low and high to create proper air flow through the coop with placement of the roost taken into consideration as to not be in the draft between two vents... A roof jack on the high end of the roof would help a lot in that design with some smaller vents near the floor...
Hmm. In mine I have vents near the top, and the door open to the run. Is a 12*18" door enough to allow for air movement?

Hmm. In mine I have vents near the top, and the door open to the run. Is a 12*18" door enough to allow for air movement?
Probably not. If you ever walk into the coop and it feels stuffy you don't have enough ventilation. With a chicken coop, you are not building a miniature house. You are building a shelter from wind, rain/snow, and predators. It needs to have a LOT of ventilation to exhaust all the moisture and ammonia emitted by the birds each night. Ventilation should be placed as near to the roofline as possible, and should be on opposite walls for maximum air exchange above roosting level.

Hmm. In mine I have vents near the top, and the door open to the run. Is a 12*18" door enough to allow for air movement?

Probably not. If you ever walk into the coop and it feels stuffy you don't have enough ventilation. With a chicken coop, you are not building a miniature house. You are building a shelter from wind, rain/snow, and predators. It needs to have a LOT of ventilation to exhaust all the moisture and ammonia emitted by the birds each night. Ventilation should be placed as near to the roofline as possible, and should be on opposite walls for maximum air exchange above roosting level.

In addition to that, if you stick your head in the coop and can smell ammonia you don't have enough ventilation...

Ammonia and hot humid air both rise, thus the need for vents at the high points or else both get trapped at the high point with no where to go, this is what you want to avoid trapping the baddies...

iralc oT
To clarify, I have 2 vents each on the opposing shorter sides of the coop, and one in the door, all near the top (appx 4 ft). I also have the 12x18 hen entrance on the wall opposing the real door with the window in it. Does the combination of the hen door low and the 5 vents high provide enough ventilation. Pics are earlier in thread but I'll repost one.

Back
Top Bottom