post your chicken coop pictures here!

Well I lost one of my birds due to the cold this year it was 16 degrees out i think and I open the coop and she was froze solid by the time I went to let them out in the morning.

I have to agree, I doubt the cold killed her. If it was indeed the cold that killed her, why not any of the others? She had something else going on that killed her during the night and by the time you found her, her body had adequate time to lose all its heat and be in rigor mortis.

Just your average backyard evening.

Quote:
My chickens, in a 10x20 converted stall (open with hardware cloth covering above the 4' level on 3 sides) in an old barn see -20F and have no heat other than what they make.
Quote:
Beat me to it Joe. The bird died, then froze, not the other way around. I had one die 2 years ago in March, not yet 2 years old at the time. Fine at 8 AM, dead and still warm at 11 AM. Had I not needed to leave and lock them in the barn, I would have found her frozen later in the day.

My chickens, in a 10x20 converted stall (open with hardware cloth covering above the 4' level on 3 sides) in an old barn see -20F and have no heat other than what they make.

Beat me to it Joe. The bird died, then froze, not the other way around. I had one die 2 years ago in March, not yet 2 years old at the time. Fine at 8 AM, dead and still warm at 11 AM. Had I not needed to leave and lock them in the barn, I would have found her frozen later in the day.

My bantams stayed in an open wire coop with plywood roof in a garage with 7x8 door always open with free access to an outdoor run and only lost one in 4 years. She was on the bottom of the order, always picked on and it gets below zero for a week each winter. My guess is she was injured and couldnt get out of the wind or died from injuries and froze. Didnt find her til spring because she was covered in snow. I was also using steel pipe for perches then and a few lost some toes to frost.

Chickens are much more likely to be killed by heat than cold as long as they have a way to get out of the wind and roost on a wood perch. Its only been in the 80's and even with much vetilation and exhaust fan they pant a lot.

You know, its kind of sad but this is the most active forum im on (7 total) and all my posts are off topic now but i cant find a forum as active as this discussing breeds, eggs, grandchildren feeding flocks etc.. My coop and run are now a permanent extension of my pole barn and will not be modified any time soon but i will be playing with breeds, collecting pretty eggs and enjoying many mob sessions with my grandchildren in the future, all of which i like posting pictures and talking about.

Anyone on a forum like that?

You know, its kind of sad but this is the most active forum im on (7 total) and all my posts are off topic now but i cant find a forum as active as this discussing breeds, eggs, grandchildren feeding flocks etc.. My coop and run are now a permanent extension of my pole barn and will not be modified any time soon but i will be playing with breeds, collecting pretty eggs and enjoying many mob sessions with my grandchildren in the future, all of which i like posting pictures and talking about.

Anyone on a forum like that?

YES!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/693812/the-old-folks-home

You can't be off topic on a thread that has no topic. And you don't actually HAVE to be an "old folk" to participate (even though both of us fit that description).

Back
Top Bottom