post your chicken coop pictures here!

Hes HUGE too.  Love orange kitties...  even orange and white....  Is he a good mouser?
deb

He is a big boy, and a TERRIBLE mouser. The only thing he is really good for is snuggles.
1f61c.png

Quote:
Lol.... they are all good for something. I wont have cats again.... Not for not liking them its because I do like them that I cant have them. They last about 5-10 minutes outside here... and I dont care for keeping them locked in the house.

There is somewhere on BYC a woman who keeps a cat in the coop and run... or was that a dog... I been here five years read too much it sometimes gets muddled....
lau.gif
old.gif

deb

Hi all!nice coops and discussions! I have been locked out first for days due to a bug on the site.Thankfully the Support Team go me back on today. Withdrawal sucks!

I finally got some updated pictures of my work in progress. Here you can see where we will be putting a fold down cover for bad days and hardware cloth cover for pretty days. Here is a clean shot of the front and the gap will run all around the coop and covered with HCloth for good ventilation. This here is our home built garden area that will run beside the coop. Started filling it in. The floor of the coop has a 3" gap covered with hardware cloth for floor vent. I want to add cinder block around the bottom to plant herbs and chick friendly treats. Later this fall we will build a second coop like this one for our intro coop and bantam or broody birds. I want to add a water troth or collection barrel for rain.

Last edited:
Just your average backyard evening.

Ha Ha too cute!What breed is the cat?

It's part Creme Point Ragdoll, part mutt.
He is incredibly complacent and the Chickens aren't concerned with him at all. He herds them more than anything.

This one was several weeks ago when the chicks were even smaller.

Hes HUGE too.  Love orange kitties...  even orange and white....  Is he a good mouser?
deb

He is a big boy, and a TERRIBLE mouser. The only thing he is really good for is snuggles.
1f61c.png

Lol....  they are all good for something.   I wont have cats again....   Not for not liking them its because I do like them that I cant have them.   They last about 5-10 minutes outside here...  and I dont care for keeping them locked in the house.

There is somewhere on BYC a woman who keeps a cat in the coop and run...  or was that a dog...  I been here five years read too much it sometimes gets muddled.... :lau   :old

deb

Adorable cat! We used to have a huge orange tabby cat and he was the friendliest thing. I can't remember if he was a good mouser or not but I don't think so. All he cared about was laying around getting loved on LOL they say orange male cats are the friendliest (and laziest :p ). I believe it. Our current cat is teeny, only about 9 pounds, but she's an excellent hunter. But she's also long haired unlike the other plus gets matts from being outside so she's not allowed out now. Or at least we try. We originally wanted to keep her indoor only then she started sneaking out so we started letting her out but catching her when she snuck out. Then we kept her inside this winter and now she occasionally goes out again. But right now she needs her rabies shot so she's not allowed out. Complicated history with her. LOL she turns 6 in August. She loves being outside and our particular area is safe and she doesn't go far anymore but she does get matted and is so tiny so I'm trying to keep her in more at this point and its mostly family that lets her get out. She has a lot of matts right now so we'll probably have to shave her. We've tried cutting them off when she only had a few but now there's too many/some have stuck together. She doesn't let me brush her so it's hard to catch them right away. We're either going to have to go to the vet or shave her ourselves. And then i guess not let her out. Long haired cats are a whole different game. But ANYWAY. Very long story a teeny bit shorter, some people build cat enclosures for their cats, from tiny ones using a crate or those wire storage cubes, to bigger ones like a chicken run or cage, etc. As well as cat tunnels. I have thought about building both but not sure I will. May just screen in the deck or garden though. Similar effect. Some people also just fence in their yard and/or add coyote rollers at the top. Some people even walk their cats on a harness or leash. All safe alternatives to being entirely free range while still allowing the outdoor benefits. However as I said, my area is pretty safe so I don't worry (though some argue vehemently that there is no such thing as a safe outside area for cats besides the above mentioned alternatives) but for me now it's less the dangers and more the matting. I actually did purchase a harness a while ago and a couple months ago I got a cat jacket harness thing.

http://www.kittyholster.com

It's supposed to be much more comfortable and harder to escape from.

I plan on taking her on walks eventually. So far I've only tried it on loke twice and she hated it but you're supposed to slowly work with them and encourage with treats etc. Hoping she learns to like it. Or at least learns it's the only way she goes out lol

Some people also just fence in their yard and/or add coyote rollers at the top. Some people even walk their cats on a harness or leash. All safe alternatives to being entirely free range while still allowing the outdoor benefits. However as I said, my area is pretty safe so I don't worry (though some argue vehemently that there is no such thing as a safe outside area for cats besides the above mentioned alternatives) but for me now it's less the dangers and more the matting. I actually did purchase a harness a while ago and a couple months ago I got a cat jacket harness thing.

http://www.kittyholster.com

It's supposed to be much more comfortable and harder to escape from.

I plan on taking her on walks eventually. So far I've only tried it on loke twice and she hated it but you're supposed to slowly work with them and encourage with treats etc. Hoping she learns to like it. Or at least learns it's the only way she goes out lol

NO more enclosures because I wont be having any more cats. thats me thats my choice. I would do Coyote rollers to help protect my goats and chickens.

And Yes I have investigated all fence forms and strategies. But bottom line I am tired of living in a fortress and having to guard everytime I open the door. If I want to fling the door open wide have the screens open too I dont want to have to contend with anything more than an errant chicken occasional lizard and flies.

I used have a Cat Nazi room mate between the two of us there were eleven cats LOCKED IN the house... so no more.

deb

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom