post your chicken coop pictures here!

Greenhouse coop.6x8, screen top door,screen back panel 1/3 top,2/3 peg board bottom. Shade cloth on 1/2 roof top southern exposure. I have changes planned for colder weather. Right now they free range my acre lot during the day and get cooped up around 10pm.I have a large tub of cool water outdoors in the shade for daytime, and a 5 gallon pail with nipples for night.The door is open all day. I have room for storing the feed,and shavings.

This is the start of my new hen house. I have the floor in and will start framing the walls in a few days. The hen house will be 10' x 12' I will build a run out the back when the hen house is done. The run will be 16' x 16'. I have 17 - 5 week old pullets and one cockerel No bantams they are all heritage breeds. How big do the nesting boxes need to be?

In the back ground you can see the temp enclosure for my girls.

The floor boards are reclaimed lumber from a 100 year old barn. I originally was going to build the whole floor on some piers I scored off CL 9 of them for $10 but I wanted to have it secured so a big wind could not just blow it over so I poured the 4 corner piers and used the CL piers on the other 5 positions. I have been scouring CL for weeks picking up materials either cheap or free so the materials I have gathered are going to determine the construction for example I have 32 - 4x6x8 foot I also have some 1x12 rough cut doug fir planks so it will have board and batten siding. I have one very long dual pane door panel that will be used in the upper section of this barn style building sitting horizontal and hinged so I can open it in summer months for added ventilation. I also have 3 other vinyl dual pane windows that open and 2 large vents for the gable ends. For the roof I have some metal roofing bought cheap off CL. I will continue to add pictures as I go one stage at a time.

Mike

Last edited:
Here are some photos of my coop. Built with reclaimed & scavenged materials. New fencing & a few new boards (for main frame). Hopefully NOW my hubby will stop asking why I'm such a pack rat!
Nice, but needs more ventilation above roosting height. Also, those roosts are a bit narrow in diameter. Should be at least 3 inches diameter or more for dual-purpose breeds. Also, the rungs on the ladder roost are too close together. The higher up birds will poo all over the ones on the lower roosts.

justcallmepenny, that is a fine coop you've built there. Great that you used mostly re-purposed material, too!! One thing you might want to consider if adding some 2x4 welded wire to the lower 3-4 feet of the fencing along with a 12-24 inch apron of it around the edges...so that a dog can't chew through the hardware cloth. Looks really nice...I'm envious. ;)

Ed

Lookin' good, Mike. I like the shady area, too!

Ed

Thanks the whole area where the coop and run are was thick vegetation like you see in the background so thick you can't walk through it. It took about 3 days to clear dig out brush stumps and flatten the area with my tractor. I have a commercial chipper and the pile of chips from clearing is 5' tall and 10' around. I also had to take out 2 dead trees and 2 other trees that were weak and ready to fall. I should have shot a picture of the area before I cleared it. The site has large Maple trees around it and gets random shade and sun during the day.

Back
Top Bottom