post your chicken coop pictures here!

Mike, once you get the coop and run built that's gonna be really nice with the maples around it. Building the coop with plenty of ventilation? Big windows? I think I'm a ventilation nut...just seen too many nicely built coops with too little ventilation built in to them.

Those sonotubes... I'd been thinking of cement blocks, but seems the height I want will take several to a stack if I go with 4" solid blocks so the sonotubes are interesting to me.

Ed

I think so Ed I have 2 large vents for the gable ends and 4 windows that will all open. One window is actually a door panel that will be mounted horizontally near the top the shape will be similar to the Loopy Coop but I am using different sizes. I have a simple cad drawing I will post of the front so you can get an idea of what I have in mind. No one answered my question about how big my nesting boxes need to be and how many the coop can probably support 25+ chickens but I am starting with 18.

Thanks Mike

Well had to do some fast dr work and separation of some of my birds. The smaller birds in my big bird pin were being hurt so 2 came out and sprayed with scarlet oil until wounds on tails heal up and 4 out of my small bird pin were removed when I found a new addition dead and another weak from lack of food.
3 of them went into the separation pin and the 4th came inside to sit with the younger babies until she is stronger.
I pray the rain let's up long enough this weekend to complete the coop and run. I have a feeling it's a crowding issue.
1f62a.png
1f625.png
1f622.png

Well had to do some fast dr work and separation of some of my birds. The smaller birds in my big bird pin were being hurt so 2 came out and sprayed with scarlet oil until wounds on tails heal up and 4 out of my small bird pin were removed when I found a new addition dead and another weak from lack of food.
3 of them went into the separation pin and the 4th came inside to sit with the younger babies until she is stronger.
I pray the rain let's up long enough this weekend to complete the coop and run. I have a feeling it's a crowding issue.
1f62a.png
1f625.png
1f622.png

Don't I know about crowding!

My wife's sister sent her this today. I thought it was worth sharing for those looking for a way to help keep their chickens cool in hot weather. Confetti Treat Ice Wreath - Help your Chickens Cool Down with Frozen Fruits and Vegetables http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2013/05/confetti-ice-wreath-help-cool-your.html
Mine probably wouldn't eat that they are really picky of certain things I tryed giving them green beans before all they did was take it from me and drop it and take another. And then I tryed the lettuce and cabbage and they don't even touch those. And they won't eat worms unless the rooster finds them for them.

Last edited:
I think so Ed I have 2 large vents for the gable ends and 4 windows that will all open. One window is actually a door panel that will be mounted horizontally near the top the shape will be similar to the Loopy Coop but I am using different sizes. I have a simple cad drawing I will post of the front so you can get an idea of what I have in mind. No one answered my question about how big my nesting boxes need to be and how many the coop can probably support 25+ chickens but I am starting with 18.

Thanks Mike
The ventilation sounds good, @Gundawg . Regular nest boxes I'd probably do 12x12x14 (width-depth-height). Definitely look at Opa's rollout nest box, though, if you think you'd like a roll-out type of nest box...I will definitely be incorporating these into my coop...one day.<sigh> They help prevent egg-eaters and also keep the eggs cleaner. Six nest boxes of either type should be sufficient for the numbers that you mention.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/287684/new-rollout-nest-design-picture-heavy-edited-1-21

Ed

Mine probably wouldn't eat that they are really picky of certain things I tryed giving them green beans before all they did was take it from me and drop it and take another. And then I tryed the lettuce and cabbage and they don't even touch those. And they won't eat worms unless the rooster finds them for them.

As I just got this today from my sister-in-law, I haven't personally tried this yet. I do however feed them lettuce, spinach, kale, chard and other salad greens I grow with no problem with the ladies devouring them. Maybe I'm lucky that I don't have fussy eaters.

Back
Top Bottom