post your chicken coop pictures here!

As I just got this today from my sister-in-law, I haven't personally tried this yet. I do however feed them lettuce, spinach, kale, chard and other salad greens I grow with no problem with the ladies devouring them.  Maybe I'm lucky that I don't have fussy eaters.

Mine are just spoiled like that everytime they see me they are jumping on top of eat other trying to get to the pen door first to be the first one to the door to see If I have any treats. And so I have to be very carful not to step on any feet when coming into the pen and then once in the pen they are still all huddled around me waiting for me to give them something and there feeder is right here they eat the food they just do that. So I give in an go get them something.

Mine probably wouldn't eat that they are really picky of certain things I tryed giving them green beans before all they did was take it from me and drop it and take another. And then I tryed the lettuce and cabbage and they don't even touch those. And they won't eat worms unless the rooster finds them for them.
Chickens eat what their bodies need. My hens have different appetites for different foods depending on laying cycle, molt, broodiness, illness, etc. For 5 years none of my chicken breeds touched banana. One day I picked off a tiny piece for one of my Silkies and she went nuts for it. All the others came rushing to see what was so delicious -- all it took was breaking off little pieces for them to eat a whole banana! Fresh green beans are too firm for my Silkie beaks. For greens or produce I give them softer small cut-up cucumbers, cantaloupe still on the rind, or blueberries in a bowl.

As I just got this today from my sister-in-law, I haven't personally tried this yet. I do however feed them lettuce, spinach, kale, chard and other salad greens I grow with no problem with the ladies devouring them. Maybe I'm lucky that I don't have fussy eaters.
Because I have smaller beaked Silkies in the flock we cut up greens like chard, romaine, spinach, salad green mix, etc, in small chopped pieces and serve on a paper plate and they pick and choose the little pieces they all want. Longer leaves don't appeal to them and would just impact their crop anyway.

Mine are just spoiled like that everytime they see me they are jumping on top of eat other trying to get to the pen door first to be the first one to the door to see If I have any treats. And so I have to be very carful not to step on any feet when coming into the pen and then once in the pen they are still all huddled around me waiting for me to give them something and there feeder is right here they eat the food they just do that. So I give in an go get them something.

My DH knows the chickens will come running looking for treats so he doesn't go out the door without a handful of mealworms, berries, or something to hand-feed the chickens. For some reason chickens get really spoiled eating out of your hand even though they might have a bowl full of the same food already. It's cricket season and I've got to set out some cricket lures in the veggie garden to catch them for chicken treats!

I try to stay with typical farm stuff (in bags) so i take the kids out to feed them some whole corn. At first the turkeys didnt show any interest bjt now they eat out of my hand and go after it like the chickens.

This is what happens. They see me through the door window and come running out to the run, gobling and clucking. I go into the run and they mob me. This is because, unlike my bantms and other previous birds, i handled these from the start and they got used to me. Im giving the rooster a chance to be a docile part of the experience but the first aggressive act toward humans will be the last. I have a 'no rooster rule' because of noise and danger to the kids.

Last edited:

Given the hardware cloth is over a cattle panel, I really don't think a raccoon, dog or coyote will get into the area. If they dig and hit the buried hardware cloth they would not likely get through it.

Bruce, I don't believe there is cattle panel over the ends of the run...just hardware cloth.

Ed

That was my understanding as well.No panel under the cloth in places.I only use hardware cloth for a window and vent cover though. All my fence is welded but I know not everyone can do this.

I'm afraid I have roos... I know that hens get a large floppy comb but since some do and some don't have it, I'm concerned. Any help? They are 4 months old.

Last edited:

This is what happens. They see me through the door window and come running out to the run, gobling and clucking. I go into the run and they mob me. This is because, unlike my bantms and other previous birds, i handled these from the start and they got used to me. Im giving the rooster a chance to be a docile part of the experience but the first aggressive act toward humans will be the last. I have a 'no rooster rule' because of noise and danger to the kids.
:) Looks like you have a good dedicated crew to help with the chickens!!!!

Ed

This slipped by me. Nice setup. What size is the coop...it looks smaller than 4x8?

Ok, here's the "critique"...
big_smile.png

Do you have any larger predators around? Big coons, coyotes, neighbor dogs? Some 2x4 welded wire fencing would really enhance the security.

Ventilation... Where are you located and are their larger windows on the other sides of the coop?

On most elevated coops the roof is close to the chickens' heads....summer sun can turn a tin roof into a radiant broiler. Is there anything (plywood?) between the metal and the coop? Even a thin sheet of plywood would help a lot. Also, when rain runs off the roof it will be landing on the nest boxes...you might want to insure that the box is waterproofed as well as it can be...basically the hinge area at the wall of the coop.

Looks like some good workmanship involved here.
smile.png

Ed

Quote:

Quote:
Ah, I didn't catch that. I agree, the ends would be better protected with stronger wire down at predator level.

I'm afraid I have roos... I know that hens get a large floppy comb but since some do and some don't have it, I'm concerned. Any help?

Yes, age is very important. If they are all the same age, yes you have some males. If the ones with the big combs haven't started crowing and are under 12-16 weeks, they will be crowing soon. If the ones with a small comb are pushing 20 weeks, they are likely girls getting close to laying.

Yes, age is very important. If they are all the same age, yes you have some males. If the ones with the big combs haven't started crowing and are under 12-16 weeks, they will be crowing soon. If the ones with a small comb are pushing 20 weeks, they are likely girls getting close to laying.
Hmm, I've no experience at sexing chickens but your comments and the photos make me think there are four pullets and two young cockerels? Definite difference in combs!!! So basically, for birds with this type of comb and of the same age we could be pretty sure of the sexes by this difference?

Thanks for posting this.

Ed

Back
Top Bottom