post your chicken coop pictures here!

Once they are old enough that the cockerels' combs and wattles start to grow more than the pullets, yes. In my LIMITED experience, a female chick of a given breed may grow a bit faster than another and their comb might be a BIT bigger, maybe a little pink especially after exertion but those 2 birds @NanaNeen
 posted clearly have much larger combs and wattles. If there was a side shot of them I would think the hackle and saddle feathers would also be telling. I don't know what breed her birds are but POSSIBLY White Rocks. If so, the combs on my 1 Y/O WR hens isn't even close to those of the suspected males she posted. 
They are white leghorns. All purchased at the same time on March 4th. Little tiny yellow puffs of cuteness. ALL supposed to be pullets...

Last edited:
Once they are old enough that the cockerels' combs and wattles start to grow more than the pullets, yes. In my LIMITED experience, a female chick of a given breed may grow a bit faster than another and their comb might be a BIT bigger, maybe a little pink especially after exertion but those 2 birds @NanaNeen
 posted clearly have much larger combs and wattles. If there was a side shot of them I would think the hackle and saddle feathers would also be telling. I don't know what breed her birds are but POSSIBLY White Rocks. If so, the combs on my 1 Y/O WR hens isn't even close to those of the suspected males she posted. 

I can't see any differences in their feathers or tails, some bodies are slightly larger though.

Just finished (aside from some trim details) my homemade coop, built for 5 hens in Decorah, Iowa. First time I've built anything this complex. No real plans, just made it up as I went. I utilized features that I liked from various coop designs.

Just finished (aside from some trim details) my homemade coop, built for 5 hens in Decorah, Iowa. First time I've built anything this complex. No real plans, just made it up as I went. I utilized features that I liked from various coop designs.

Very Nice! I'm going to assume you have a vent on the other end like you do above the nest boxes and that you have roost bars on the inside for them to perch at night.

How many put water and food inside their hen house? Due to the possibility of mice and other critters our hen house is free of food and water. My chickens have access to food and water in the coop. They have a small door way that they can access at any time. The coop is fully enclosed so they have plenty of room to roam (40 x 40)

I am proud of my idea for this.. I keep critters out by suspending the water and feeding dishes from the ceiling of the coop.. sounds crazy but it works. I got every thing from the dollar store..
water jug drilled a hole in the lid and then put the nipples (from the hardware store) through the bottome.. The feeder used a plastic plate and a jug from the dollar store and drilled holes in the bottom so that the food would filter out when needed. (see the pic) at night when the girls retire up to the roost we raise up the feed so the passers by - ground squirrels, prairie dogs can't reach..
sounds silly but it works..

the advantages are they don't hop on top and leave poopy cause it is a bit unstable..food stays clean.. and clear jugs so I can monitor easily when to refill the feed.. and I can adjust the height as the girls get taller :)

ground squirrels out of luck..

Just what ever you do try and keep the kids from handle the roo, I have heard that Roos can become agressive being chased to be held and have all of those hands coming at you. And so if it ever does that take a broom and swat it at him every once and a while and it will show him your the boss and he shouldn't ever become agressive.

That is why i have a no rooster rule. I will continue to try to get his trust but the instant he makes any aggressive move he is dinner.

As to the toms, i havent seen any aggression yet or mating efforts. The turkeys tend to stick together and are very friendly. The toms will have to be butchered as soon as i get a funnel large enough. My wife wanted some turkey eggs but the farm stores make no effort to sex them because most who buy them butcher them.

Back
Top Bottom