post your chicken coop pictures here!

I just got some buckets, dowels, and little 2 foot wood strips to try making some mouse traps. Hoping it works. Considering also getting some lids (forgot today), cutting a hole in the top with the hole saw, and making a similar thing to the Best Mouse Trap Ever traps. Was my dad's idea. Figure it'd work the same as having wire and plastic at the top, being all plastic there's no way they could get up, and then i wouldn't feel bad killing them.

And i can understand wanting pre made stuff and usually it is easier, heck i order my dog food online usually because it comes straight to the door, no hassle. Well, also because no store around carries the brand i feed, but still. We alternate brands so occasionally I will pick up one up at the store. But delivery is just easier. But anyway, my point is that so i do get that. And for big projects it's easier but personally for me,for something as simple as just drilling 2 holes in the side of a bucket with a drill (or a really sharp knife) I'd rather just do it myself and to me it's easier and faster than ordering a trap that then had to get delivered. But to each their own. I'm considering trying both traps.

All I know is the trap should be around $5 or $6 or less (maybe free if you have the stuff laying around, i had no buckets or dowels and chose to buy a strip of wood for the ramp), so for me I figured I would try it.

I just got some buckets, dowels, and little 2 foot wood strips to try making some mouse traps. Hoping it works. Considering also getting some lids (forgot today), cutting a hole in the top with the hole saw, and making a similar thing to the Best Mouse Trap Ever traps. Was my dad's idea. Figure it'd work the same as having wire and plastic at the top, being all plastic there's no way they could get up, and then i wouldn't feel bad killing them.

And i can understand wanting pre made stuff and usually it is easier, heck i order my dog food online usually because it comes straight to the door, no hassle. Well, also because no store around carries the brand i feed, but still. We alternate brands so occasionally I will pick up one up at the store. But delivery is just easier. But anyway, my point is that so i do get that. And for big projects it's easier but personally for me,for something as simple as just drilling 2 holes in the side of a bucket with a drill (or a really sharp knife) I'd rather just do it myself and to me it's easier and faster than ordering a trap that then had to get delivered. But to each their own. I'm considering trying both traps.

All I know is the trap should be around $5 or $6 or less (maybe free if you have the stuff laying around, i had no buckets or dowels and chose to buy a strip of wood for the ramp), so for me I figured I would try it.

Your traps will probably work well. Years ago in younger days I tackled a lot of DIY projects but seems like in my old age it's faster and easier to just get things purchased ready-made. I used to enjoy DIY but these days I prefer to relax for a change. Show us your project photos when done!!!

Who all here has a rain collection system I just made one yesterday and so far it has been working great today I raised it higher up on a stand so it will have more water pressure. So far so good

I got a little more done today. I was not happy with the rafter connection at the top so I had a choice make collar ties or cut the rafters and install a ridge board and after seeing a coop with chickens roosting on the collar ties I decided a ridge board would be best. So I re cut all the rafters and removed 3/4" from each and ran a long 2x4 ridge board. I then cut in perlins to hold the metal roofing and set the monitor on. I will be working on the lower rafters next. I have one more window to frame in in the rear and add all the siding pelins.

Ignore the use of my bucket truck that is not really correct use of the machine but it is rated for 350# and the monitor framing was less than that so I used it.

Mike

Who all here has a rain collection system I just made one yesterday and so far it has been working great today I raised it higher up on a stand so it will have more water pressure. So far so good

I would love to do a water barrel. Our tap water is so disgustingly mineralized that I'm afraid the spigot would get eaten away by the heavy mineralization buildup. We have to use bottled water for human and chicken drinking because the tap water is so disgustingly smelly with chlorination and gets gritty buildup on all the spigots around the property. How's your water quality in PA?

I got a little more done today. I was not happy with the rafter connection at the top so I had a choice make collar ties or cut the rafters and install a ridge board and after seeing a coop with chickens roosting on the collar ties I decided a ridge board would be best. So I re cut all the rafters and removed 3/4" from each and ran a long 2x4 ridge board. I then cut in perlins to hold the metal roofing and set the monitor on. I will be working on the lower rafters next. I have one more window to frame in in the rear and add all the siding pelins.

Ignore the use of my bucket truck that is not really correct use of the machine but it is rated for 350# and the monitor framing was less than that so I used it.

Mike

Mike, you're killin' me with the tools you pull out of your toolbox!!!! It's looking very good. When you get through ironing out the wrinkles and get yours built come on down here to 'Bama and I'll *let* you put one up for me.<GRIN>

Ed

Quote:
Or San Diego I'll let you put one up here too....
pop.gif

I would love to do a water barrel.  Our tap water is so disgustingly mineralized that I'm afraid the spigot would get eaten away by the heavy mineralization buildup.  We have to use bottled water for human and chicken drinking because the tap water is so disgustingly smelly with chlorination and gets gritty buildup on all the spigots around the property.  How's your water quality in PA?

We have our own well where I live every person on my street has a well of there own so we don't have town water where it's all mineral and chemical. And town water it taste fine but I would prefer our water from our own well.

Mike, you're killin' me with the tools you pull out of your toolbox!!!! It's looking very good. When you get through ironing out the wrinkles and get yours built come on down here to 'Bama and I'll *let* you put one up for me.<GRIN>

Ed

It is an old truck I picked up off CL a few years ago for very cheap but it is not licensed for the road any more. I have a ton of trees and we live in a very wet climate so I am constantly trimming and cleaning gutters on 3 big buildings. I am a retired power lineman so running it is second nature for me it beats using a ladder. I can clean all my gutters in a day now where it used to be a week long job up and down ladders and that is not safe. I also clean 2 chimneys and put up & take down the Christmas lights with it. My neighbor went in half for it so neither of us has much money invested.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom