post your chicken coop pictures here!

My roosters start crowing and by proxy my hens start stirring between 2am and 3am just waiting for enough light to get going for the day and honestly it's perfectly normal for chickens to be awake and ready to go 2-3 hours before sunrise... Same with many wild birds in my area, about 3am the songs start coming from the trees...

Song birds are ok during the early morning but my DD has Mocking Birds that twitter loudly in the trees all night long all through the night every day of the week that I never get any sleep at her house.  I'll take my quiet chickens over any song bird any day of the week ;) !

Since I normally go to bed between 3am and 5am those morning song birds can be highly annoying if the windows are open and they decide to perch on the gutter, roof or in a tree right next to the window... My birds make a lot of noise, but between being contained in a building and the lack of windows facing the house you can barely hear them inside the house most of the time...

I rarely hear songbirds singing...would love to. I live in the country and have plenty of them around me, it's just that part of my hearing is bad and has been for a long time. Sure would be nice....

Ed

those pictures are awesome
ya.gif

Since I normally go to bed between 3am and 5am those morning song birds can be highly annoying if the windows are open and they decide to perch on the gutter, roof or in a tree right next to the window... My birds make a lot of noise, but between being contained in a building and the lack of windows facing the house you can barely hear them inside the house most of the time...

This is how close our coop is to our kitchen sliding door and our girls are quiet compared to the noisy songbirds. My least favorite birds are house sparrows - they aren't as musical as other birds and have an annoying loud steady chirp - they are mean and like ganging up and chasing off other wild birds. We have to use a chicken treadle feeder and nipple valve waterers to keep the little moochers away and STILL the sparrows come to annoy us! These non-indigenous sparrows are also mean to other birds by kicking out eggs out of other bird nests and killing the parents if they want the same nesting spot - ornery species!

my chicks are still in the brooder, this is there third week, I plan on introducing them to the coop in a few more weeks. once they have all there feathers. boy are they growing fast

They should be fully feathered and ready to go outside with no heat by 4 weeks.

I have a hen that's going to be going also if she dosnt start laying hard shelled eggs. She eats the same stuff as everyone else. We have two green layers glad you got some eggs how is the rain is it still raining down there all the time,

The very occasional soft shell egg isn't a concern but if that is all she lays, I think there are internal problems. My fav BA started that this past spring (at 3.5 years) after being a stellar layer for 3 years. One day a few months ago she wandered away and didn't respond when I talked to her, very unusual. I finally found her under the pool deck clearly not in good shape and found she had a large lump in her abdomen. I nursed her with antibiotics and nutridrench and she came back.

Long story short, she hasn't laid since and probably couldn't. I THINK she has a tumor or other growth in her shell gland. She's been her happy self since then so I am ignoring it. When she goes, I am going to do an autopsy to see just what that mass is.

They should be fully feathered and ready to go outside with no heat by 4 weeks.

The very occasional soft shell egg isn't a concern but if that is all she lays, I think there are internal problems. My fav BA started that this past spring (at 3.5 years) after being a stellar layer for 3 years. One day a few months ago she wandered away and didn't respond when I talked to her, very unusual. I finally found her under the pool deck clearly not in good shape and found she had a large lump in her abdomen. I nursed her with antibiotics and nutridrench and she came back. 

Long story short, she hasn't laid since and probably couldn't. I THINK she has a tumor or other growth in her shell gland. She's been her happy self since then so I am ignoring it. When she goes, I am going to do an autopsy to see just what that mass is.

She is healthy she just seems to get an egg in her and then she just pushes it out no matter where she is. But on some days she will set in the nesting box and doesn't lay anything anyways. So everytime she lays it goes to the dogs because I can't sell soft eggs. And I can't afford to keep paying for feed for a free loading slacker. Since I am a kid I don't have any source of income to be able to keep paying for feed for the slackers who don't lay.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom