post your chicken coop pictures here!

Quote: Geez, sorry to hear about that! If I had to worry about bears my coop would be built out of reinforced cinder block!
ep.gif

There is very little construction that will keep a determined bear out. Except the addition of hot wire.

Even Welded wire.

Livestock guardian dogs will help...

Talk to your deparment of forestry to get some pointers on bear deterrents.

deb

There is very little construction that will keep a determined bear out. Except the addition of hot wire.

Even Welded wire.

Livestock guardian dogs will help...

Talk to your deparment of forestry to get some pointers on bear deterrents.

deb

You're right about determined bears. In the mountains behind us people's fences are no deterrent keeping bears from climbing to go swimming in the backyard pools. Several times every Spring the rangers are relocating young bears out of people's yards. Still, it's not unusual to see a wandering wildlife of some sort coming down the street -- deer, fox, bear, coyote, possum, and city raccoons think the golf course are their personal property. We might be citified folks but still have chicken predators. My DD is in the city but her property butts up against a nature preserve trail and in addition to our critters she also gets mountain lion, lynx, rattlesnake, skunk, rabbits, rats and mice. It's amazing what night cam photos capture! She wants a cat for rodent control but in this neighborhood it would just become a wildlife meal! If neighbors keep their dogs in the backyards overnight, the pets disappear -- even the big ones. When I stay over I don't go out after dark!

Quote:
Yes, it is, TY! The attached run has to come off before it takes two men to move the coop on its heavy duty wheels. I think only a Grizzly would have the strength to tear it apart! Yet, surprisingly, it is very easy for us to unscrew two bolts top and bottom on each of 4 sides to disassemble or reassemble it. This is how it looks before assembling. There are some things I don't like about it but it was the model that was most closely to what we needed. I always liked the Barn Coop look and this was the biggest we could find that was easy to assemble -- the regular pine Amish Barn Coops were nice but way too complicated to assemble/build and this one came already mostly assembled - Chicken Condos is by Cove Products that build dog kennels so the heavy-duty wire is very sturdy on their coops -- multiple options/ accessories are available to choose from to modify their coops -- we custom-ordered this one to our size and run specifications and they were very accommodating. After we ordered our Barn Coop they came out w/ an all plastic Urban Coop which is a nice cleaning feature but I didn't like its looks:

https://www.chickencondos.com/?SID=efca78d3097978956fab950c55ac0c6e

Our chickens like to visit us in the kitchen too! LOL!

Our first coop was little enough that we could put a pop-up canopy over it to keep out the rain. We buried the canopy legs about 6 inches into the soil so it didn't para-sail away in the breeze. We still tarped the little coop but it didn't have gobs of rain water hidden in the folds when we had to lift the tarp to get eggs out of the nest.

This coop was built over a 20'x4' slab that was an old dog run. 90% of the materials was scrap that I had in my barn. I think it turned out half way decent.

Chickens look very content and happy! Think about reinforcing the run w/ sturdier wire over the chicken poultry wire. Stray dogs broke down our gate 6 yrs ago and attacked our chicken wire coop and would've killed our chickens if a Good Samaritan neighbor hadn't scared them off. Poultry wire is too weak to keep predators out. Cattle wire, chainlink roll, or hardware cloth or anything over the chicken wire will save your flock in future from city raccoons, possums, stray dogs, etc etc. We never knew we had city raccoons until we saw one crawl out of the street gutter at 2 a.m.! Your girls are so sweet and will thank you for the extra reinforcement. Your slab foundation is a good secure bottom -- we like ours for easy hosing down for cleanup once a week.

Back
Top Bottom