post your chicken coop pictures here!

Well, it's easy to see from the last three pages nobody's been building any coops recently...
pop.gif

Well, it's easy to see from the last three pages nobody's been building any coops recently... :pop
at least three feet of snow covers just about any piece of open ground in this area...sorry about getting off on the wrong subject...but a discussion about possible predators could be important to anyone building a coop...I wish I had known that 1 inch chicken wire will not keep weasels out...or Red squirrels...or black bears...before I had wasted money and time building a beautiful completely enclosed run for my first flock...out of 40 birds, maybe 12 survived the night time bear attack...it basically "Walked" through the chicken wire...somehow squeezed into the coop thru the pop door and tore everything up...birds included.

To be fair though, even welded wire might not have kept a determined bear out so I wouldn't blame yourself much. Only hot wire or extremely thick wire can stop a bear. Although welded wire would make it at least more of a challenge and cause some bears to reconsider. And you're right, people need to know it doesn't keep coons and other predators out

at least three feet of snow covers just about any piece of open ground in this area...sorry about getting off on the wrong subject...but a discussion about possible predators could be important to anyone building a coop...I wish I had known that 1 inch chicken wire will not keep weasels out...or Red squirrels...or black bears...before I had wasted money and time building a beautiful completely enclosed run for my first flock...out of 40 birds, maybe 12 survived the night time bear attack...it basically "Walked" through the chicken wire...somehow squeezed into the coop thru the pop door and tore everything up...birds included.

I am so sorry to hear about your birds! Yes, chicken wire is completely useless -- dogs mangled the chicken wire on our first little coop and we would've lost birds if not for a Good Samaritan neighbor who chased away the stray mutts.

I thought bears hibernated in winter months? In any event, all chicken predators suck!

I am so sorry to hear about your birds!  Yes, chicken wire is completely useless -- dogs mangled the chicken wire on our first little coop and we would've lost birds if not for a Good Samaritan neighbor who chased away the stray mutts.

I thought bears hibernated in winter months?  In any event, all chicken predators suck!
Thank you to all for the support! And yes! bears hibernate in the winter, but they wake up really hungry in the spring...I got smart, this time around and used welded wire for the whole enclosed run...all the Windows and my removable screen door have screen (to keep out mosquitoes and flies) and 1/2 inch hardware cloth. So far so good! After following every body on this site...I wish I could start all over again!!! So many great ideas!!

Thank you to all for the support! And yes! bears hibernate in the winter, but they wake up really hungry in the spring...I got smart, this time around and used welded wire for the whole enclosed run...all the Windows and my removable screen door have screen (to keep out mosquitoes and flies) and 1/2 inch hardware cloth. So far so good! After following every body on this site...I wish I could start all over again!!! So many great ideas!!

Oh, I know, great hints and advice from many on here! After our flimsy chicken wire experience we went with a dog kennel company that also made chicken coops and got such a heavy-duty setup that nothing short of a Grizzly can tear it apart -- unless a predator knows how to unscrew giant nuts and bolts and can manipulate carabiners! In our neighborhood, nighttime critters like feral cats, city raccoons, and possums are our primary concerns. Since we tore down the chainlink yard fence and erected blockwall fencing and made double and triple entry gates, stray neighborhood dogs are no longer a threat.

Back
Top Bottom