post your chicken coop pictures here!

Thank you for the advice! Once I get some money I'll definitely reinforce my fencing!

And both the human and chick doors have double latches that lock into place
smile.png

I plan on renovating periodically to update their space (building equity in a chicken coop? Haha)

Money was an issue for us too. In 2011 we started with a coop first with secure wire and locks. Then 2 months later we added 2 Silkies and a Leghorn to it. It was about 2 weeks later the stray German Shepherd tried to get at our girls but the coop and latches held - we would have lost our investment if the dog got in. Next we spent $$ on putting up a second gate so that if anything breaks through the first gate, it will have to tackle a second to get in. Having the 2nd gate keeps the chickens from street view too.

In 2012 and 2013 as we could afford it a little at a time, we got stepping stones to expand the patio around the coop and we got a canopy for shade and anchored the legs about a foot into the soil to keep it secure. The canopy tops keep ripping off every year so we get cheaper tarps with ball fasteners to tie them down to the canopy frame - still looks decent and a lot cheaper than a new canopy cover every year.

In 2013-14 we added extra low-to-the-ground lean-to's for the hens to dive under from aerial predators and to snooze in the shade. We even found a nice medium sized dog house at a thrift store and filled it with straw. I've seen the hens dive into it many times from the Cooper's Hawk. It pays to have a lot of low safety shelters for free-ranging hens. Along the way we've found carrying kennels for trips to the vet, indoor kennels to house injured or sick hens or new juveniles we quarantine before adding to the main flock. Everything is a little at a time as I'm retired on a fixed small income so it's been a slow expansion.

This year we finally were able to afford a heavy dog kennel with top to expand the coop for a run - welded wire kennel and not chainlink. So many people who had the chainlink says they're a pain to put together and the links come apart so we opted for the heavy duty welded wire kennel when it was on sale. Our girls go stir crazy if they can't come out as soon as they're awake and this way they will have a larger run area to move around til we let them out to forage. In 2 years we'll hopefully get a regular larger coop building to replace the small coop we have now. Little baby steps as we afford it but always with security in mind. After reading so many owners losing their birds to predators we have chosen to spend the money on security - safety latches, extra hard-wiring, predator-proof step stone patio around the coop, planks and cinder-blocks for lean-to's, and of course we started a garden to grow the cucumbers and lettuces the hens love so much! Our next project is to erect a 4x4' raised garden bed and fill it with dirt and a little sand for their dust baths - we just hope they'll use it instead of making holes to China in the middle of the backyard LOL

Having chickens is like a house - the work is never done!

This is our coop and run for 6 birds we will be getting next week. We ordered it from cconly it's the cc-78-r2 I believe with the raised run/coop. Went together pretty easy and seems to be very sturdy. My big 2 1/2 year old as seen in the picture climbed inside it and my wife need up half way in it to get him back out.
Instructions are ok but the video on YouTube help even more.

Last edited:
Sylvester017--

Can you post a pic of your coop, so we can maybe get some ideas?

Love my new coop. Built out of pallets.
love.gif

Hello - Sylvester017 here - Forgive me if I haven't listed everyone but I wanted to thank all who input about how to anchor my new coop ramp to the nesting box ledge. In the first picture below is my coop with the skimpy less-than-six-inch ramp that came with the coop - silly thing was useless and the hens kept knocking it down. The middle picture shows the old skimpy ramp next to the new wide ramp we built. The bottom picture shows the new ramp installed with a heavy block wall fence topper stone at the bottom of the ramp to hold it in place from shifting. I wish we could have secured the ramp to the nestbox ledge with hook-and-eyes or hinges but as you can see in the bottom picture the perch is very much in the way of the bottom of the ramp so that the ramp will not lift up past the low perch. The new ramp is easy to move out of the coop when we enter for cleaning. The hens absolutely love the secure feel of this non-shifting heavier ramp. It took them a couple days to check out the peculiar new addition but the Silkie had no qualms of using it the very first day.

Well this coop has BECOME US! We have been hammering away for almost 2 weeks now. Nothing is flat on my property so that makes every step more complicated. I was really hoping to be posting the finished product today but its still not done! We assembled the purchased coop that I got months ago which was too soon and now we have realized it is too small for our large Orpingtons. So we put it up on Craigslist and are going to build a custom coop on the outside giving them more aviary and play space to have. We focused a lot on predator proofing so we hand mixed 4500lbs of concrete so that means we had to carry by hand 75 60lb-bags through 2 gates and down 8 steps onto the hill. We are about to make our 3rd trip to Home Depot where we rent their pick up truck to buy more lumber because we need more lumber now that we are building our own coop. Here are the photos as it is, we are not done with the roof and you will see that in the last photo posted.

Its feels never ending....in need of words of encouragement...!

Here's the step by step on my coop up to how it currently sits. After my wife bought 5 chicks, we decided to take over an existing 12x6 raised bed garden. Once calculated, we made the decision to add 2 more chicks to the flock since we had 72 sq ft of run and I could make a coop with 28 sq ft. After reviewing many coop & run designs on this website, I jumped in with both feet and got to work. The front is 6 1/2' tall and the back is 5 1/2'. The framing is all done with 2x4 stained cedar. I will be adding 4" t111 paneling for the coop and some old windows that I found at my parents house.

Yes it's mine! I am in the middle of building a big shop for my business so I bought a tiny coop with the plan on getting 3 chickens. I went to get my chickens and decided to get 3 chicks and 3 ducklings. So there went the coop! I knew I had to build something else so I went back and got 8 more chicks! So now I'm up to 3 ducks and 11 chicks! We went back and forth on what to build and we decided to just buy a shed and build a yard to the side. I ended up finding a guy to come and build it for cheaper! We added the yard and there you go. I don't have the inside completely finished. I still need nesting boxes but here's what I have so far.
Love it!!! And I've heard that story before. Chicken math.
lau.gif

Well this coop has BECOME US! We have been hammering away for almost 2 weeks now. Nothing is flat on my property so that makes every step more complicated. I was really hoping to be posting the finished product today but its still not done! We assembled the purchased coop that I got months ago which was too soon and now we have realized it is too small for our large Orpingtons. So we put it up on Craigslist and are going to build a custom coop on the outside giving them more aviary and play space to have. We focused a lot on predator proofing so we hand mixed 4500lbs of concrete so that means we had to carry by hand 75 60lb-bags through 2 gates and down 8 steps onto the hill. We are about to make our 3rd trip to Home Depot where we rent their pick up truck to buy more lumber because we need more lumber now that we are building our own coop. Here are the photos as it is, we are not done with the roof and you will see that in the last photo posted.

WOW!! I think your coop is going to be fantabulous when it's finally finished (and when are they, EVER??!!)
he.gif
I'm jealous of all of you that can build these mansions for your ladies. I bought a little coop kit that I'm going to put together this next week...you could probably fit 5 of them inside yours...WAAaaa!! :) Best of luck and be sure to post a pic when all is said and done!

frow.gif
Goodneoss......All I have to do is look at these picts and I get excited....Getting ready to build my own small coop and absolutely love this layout. I have friends whoa are going to do most of the building so I'm hoping that they will do something like this... I want to see it when its finished!!!!! Can't wait to show these picts to my friends.....as a hint...LOLOL
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom