post your chicken coop pictures here!

My new coop! Still needs a bit of paint but the girls seem to really love it!
[/IMG][/IMG]

Originally Posted by crowcreek

I am still working on the run but it should be done in a week or two. The coop is done after May hours hard work by myself (hubby not into this). I have

I also added a three cubby exterior nesting box to the back side and a floor with a hole to go down, by ladder, to the bottom level and exit. The top is shavings and the bottom is sand. There will be a 14X16 hoop run attached to the side you see propped open. I already have hardware cloth going down into the ground from the sides of the coop as it will in the hoop run so the nine hens will have full access to the run. I will still give them yard time when I am home. We love on 5 acres but their favorite thing is to go into the horse paddock and dig around in there.
Who needs hubby? You do great work! I can't tell from the pictures, but make sure that no rain/snow can get into the coop. I'm wondering specifically about the nest box. Looks like rain could come down the roof and behind the hinged door. You might have figured that out already.

Who needs hubby? You do great work! I can't tell from the pictures, but make sure that no rain/snow can get into the coop. I'm wondering specifically about the nest box. Looks like rain could come down the roof and behind the hinged door. You might have figured that out already.

Thanks!
Yes I do have a temporary solution (gorilla tape, LOL) and it made it through one rain ok. I don't trust it though. Any suggestions?

Sylvester017 thank you! I am really happy how nice the gazebo looks. I got it because of the price, the fact it had a roof, and that it was big enough for me to inside with them. I think with two people I'll be able to move it. If that doesn't work then yes I'll have to unassemble and reassemble. Luckily it's all snap together, no tools. I am looking at the lucky kennel too. I plan on getting a 10x10 dog kennel and the roof as well. That will be their permenant run. Thank you for the hint on the chain link.

Oh, let me clarify - the Lucky Dog kennel we have is NOT the chainlink style but the square wire style in black like your nice Gazebo model.

The Lucky Dog chainlink models received a large percentage of bad reviews which is why we went with the square wired black model. The chainlink models were difficult to assemble, the chainlink was bent out of shape in the packaging, and ultimately reviewers said the chainlink came apart easily after assembly - of course the reviewers had dogs jumping on the chainlink to break it and chickens don't jump on chainlink but dogs can break chainlink from the OUTSIDE to get at the chickens inside - so we never got chainlink.

Here are pics of my coop from a repurposed 8' x 5' playhouse. I built and added the cupola for ventilation (it's a little cock eyed). My 7 girls will be sleeping there tonight and my son and I should have the run complete in a couple of days. Love those $1 cans of mis-tint paint!!!

Stainless Steel?!? Seriously?!? Man, I could probably pay off my house for the cost of that much stn stl hc.
Tell me about it! We have a large family run farm supply near us that blew away everywhere else on hardware cloth prices. We thought we were going to break the bank covering the run until we called them. Still pricey, but much better. Our coop is our coop for life, so we figured we'd bite the bullet.

I'll join in! Here is our coop - "Mother Cluckers".

Very nice! Great little above ground tunnel to get to the run.

Here are pics of my coop from a repurposed 8' x 5' playhouse. I built and added the cupola for ventilation (it's a little cock eyed). My 7 girls will be sleeping there tonight and my son and I should have the run complete in a couple of days. Love those $1 cans of mis-tint paint!!!

It is very cute ... but:
The roosts are too narrow for the birds' feet unless you have very small birds. 2x4 on the flat or 3" round fence rail are much better. Also, the top one looks to be too close to the wall, you should have 12" clearance for large fowl.

My eyes are cockeyed as well so the cupola looks great
big_smile.png

Bruce

Cool!

We were always on the lookout for a playhouse but most of the ones we saw were the plastic ones and too small to even be adequate as a child's playhouse let alone as a coop remodel!

Yes I do have a temporary solution (gorilla tape, LOL) and it made it through one rain ok. I don't trust it though. Any suggestions?
Isn't Gorilla tape the BEST? It is what duct tape should have been. I imagine it will handle a number of rainy days before the weather does it in.
As for a more permanent solution, how about either a piece of flashing or thin rubber under the piece of siding just above the lid and extending out maybe 4 to 6 "? Pain to get that T&G piece out to do it though
sad.png

Maybe a batten board can be used to hold down the rubber sheet or flashing if you caulk the top where it meets the roof so the water can't get under it?

Bruce

Back
Top Bottom