post your chicken coop pictures here!

Maybe gorilla tape is what duct tape used to be?......last roll of duct tape I bought seemed a cheap imitation didn't have much 'stick'.

My new coop! Still needs a bit of paint but the girls seem to really love it!
[/URL]

Very nice! LOVE the chicks all in a row!

Sylvester017 thank you! I am really happy how nice the gazebo looks. I got it because of the price, the fact it had a roof, and that it was big enough for me to inside with them. I think with two people I'll be able to move it. If that doesn't work then yes I'll have to unassemble and reassemble. Luckily it's all snap together, no tools. I am looking at the lucky kennel too. I plan on getting a 10x10 dog kennel and the roof as well. That will be their permenant run. Thank you for the hint on the chain link.

I have a 7.5' x 12' dog kennel that I just got predator proofed. Tin roof and wrapped for extra protection. I put a 2' apron around it. Nothing is getting in. Hang a knee high panty hose with moth balls on the back outside to keep snakes away. Easy peasy.
thumbsup.gif

Isn't Gorilla tape the BEST? It is what duct tape should have been. I imagine it will handle a number of rainy days before the weather does it in.
As for a more permanent solution, how about either a piece of flashing or thin rubber under the piece of siding just above the lid and extending out maybe 4 to 6 "? Pain to get that T&G piece out to do it though
sad.png

Maybe a batten board can be used to hold down the rubber sheet or flashing if you caulk the top where it meets the roof so the water can't get under it?

Bruce

Outside nestboxes are my worst nightmare for several reasons - leakage into the box getting the straw and hens wet, predator's easy reach to wiggle the lock and open the box lid (patient raccoons are clever enough to do this), and even with an overhang roof the wind can still drive the raindrops onto the lid and get water into the box. I suppose my fears are over-imagined but I have read reviews from people who have trouble with the outside nestboxes. I have no solution but a lot of helpful ideas are getting thrown out here on this thread!

I have a 7.5' x 12' dog kennel that I just got predator proofed. Tin roof and wrapped for extra protection. I put a 2' apron around it. Nothing is getting in. Hang a knee high panty hose with moth balls on the back outside to keep snakes away. Easy peasy.
thumbsup.gif

Wow, never heard of a snake deterrent in moth balls! How is it for chickens' lungs?

Maybe gorilla tape is what duct tape used to be?......last roll of duct tape I bought seemed a cheap imitation didn't have much 'stick'.

I don't even buy duct tape any more! Junk - the water leak stuff can't even keep the water from seeping out of my watering can or the leak in our hose! A roll of blue painter's tape got left behind by the contractor during our remodel that works better than any supposed duct tape in my tool box! Not that I'm suggesting using the blue paper tape - only that I'm saying the duct tape nowadays isn't any better than flimsy painter's tape! I got so desperate I used a sticky first-aid tape roll as a last resort - not the best but certainly no worse than supposed duct tape. Duct tape won't even stick to its own self!

Outside nestboxes are my worst nightmare for several reasons - leakage into the box getting the straw and hens wet, predator's easy reach to wiggle the lock and open the box lid (patient raccoons are clever enough to do this), and even with an overhang roof the wind can still drive the raindrops onto the lid and get water into the box. I suppose my fears are over-imagined but I have read reviews from people who have trouble with the outside nestboxes. I have no solution but a lot of helpful ideas are getting thrown out here on this thread!

I had the same worries, so I made my external nest boxes with a drop down front instead of lifting up the top. I don't have chickens yet, but it functions well and locks up tight.

Isn't Gorilla tape the BEST? It is what duct tape should have been. I imagine it will handle a number of rainy days before the weather does it in. 
As for a more permanent solution, how about either a piece of flashing or thin rubber under the piece of siding just above the lid and extending out maybe 4 to 6 "? Pain to get that T&G piece out to do it though :(

Maybe a batten board can be used to hold down the rubber sheet or flashing if you caulk the top where it meets the roof so the water can't get under it?

Bruce

Those are all very good ideas. I will look closely at it and see which might work best. I new this would take some figuring out when I built it but I just couldn't get the nesting box in any other way. I would hate for someone to inspect my coop up close. You can see several areas I had to put things together in an awkward way to make the top section flow to the new bottom section. The whole thing is put together with decking screws though, so I hope it holds. :D

I just bought this coop on Amazon for $199. It's 78" by 42". It will house three bantams. I know it's not homemade, but I think it's a cool design:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom