post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. elesandchickens

elesandchickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2014
    TN
    Love it!!!

2 people like this.
  2. elesandchickens

elesandchickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2014
    TN
    [​IMG]
    Also to those who suggested I make the roosting pole larger, I just put in a nice big plank of wood, wide side up, for them this morning! Thanks for the tip y'all! :)

3 people like this.
  3. farmal86

farmal86 Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2014
    [​IMG][​IMG]. Finally got my chicken tractor and run hooked up together. Coop is 12x6 run is 16x14. Only thing left is white paint to match the rest of the barns

4. caychris

caychris Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    Antioch Ca
    oh to have that kind of space.

5. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    [​IMG] Hey Ruca It looks really good. How many chickens?

6. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Yes, I'm familiar with the housing section. I just wondered about the design as a permanent coop. The floor seems to get pretty muddy and stay muddy in rain. Our chickens love to forage in rain for the earthworms that come out of the wet soil but they have a dry coop floor to return to after their foraging. Don't get me wrong, I love the A-frame housing for tractoring but never felt it appropriate as a permanent structure because of the soggy condition the floor would be in. Maybe move it under a canopy on a slab or paver stone floor during the heavy rains? Alas, we're too old to move a tractor around our yard anyway.

Your A-frame build seems to have a lot of room to it. I've seen some really small ones that even one chicken would find confining but you've given yours some room.

7. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    I'm with you about the sun destroying the outside paint. We covered our coop with a tarp and a popup canopy and these two take the severe sun damage and we just replace them once a year instead of watching the wood corrode on the coop. Also protects from wet rot too.

8. ruca3144

ruca3144 New Egg

Feb 4, 2014
    Carroll County, MD
    Linda - Thank you! We have 5 - 2 Buff Orpingtons, 1 Barred Rock, 1 Silver Lace Wyandotte, and 1 Ameraucana/Araucana/Easter Egger (we're not sure!). They are 6 weeks old

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  9. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    We had a motion sensor light that annoyed the heck out of us and the neighbors so we just have one light left on dusk to dawn - a 60-w equivalent bulb. It's amazing how light cuts down on night critter problems.

Love your roomy design so far.

10. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    AHA! They managed to get the Border Collie genes into an American variety to call them a shepherd - very clever and much needed.

They are great dogs and our particular Border Collie (an actual Border Collie) decided I was his #1 priority to monitor over any other farm inhabitant. As a 3-year-old I was missing on the farm and was ultimately found sleeping on the floor of a neighbor's coop on top of the Collie after I smashed all the neighbors eggs in the coop! No matter where I could've wandered over 25 acres he was always at my side! He had his priorities straight!

These herding breeds are tremendously eager to please and must have duties they innately understand (or trained) to channel the need to utilize their intelligence and energy. They are easily bored and become mischievous without purpose in their life moreso than any other breed.

You are fortunate indeed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by