post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    No - don't do outside-the-run coop. This is perfect! It's a chickeneer's dream setup. If you have foxes and the like in your countryside the more security the better. Even a dog can sleep through hearing or sensing a predator as our Rottweilers have proven to us and the breed is pretty aggressive and alert - but not if they're in a deep sleep. As dogs age they get less hyper/alert too. Dogs are great but not 100% foolproof security so the more security measures you have the better.

2. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Are those solar lanterns on the coop? I've seen some cool ones and have it on my Xmas wishlist!

You and the nestbox will get soaked in the rain and chickens will lay rain or shine! Extend the roofline with an added awning for more protection. Such a cute coop that an awning or extension will be crafted cute with your obvious talents.

Other than pebble rocks is there other security around the base of the coop to keep out digging predators? Even in the city there are night digging critters that love to get in a coop. We had 2 stray neighborhood mutts break our fence gate to get at our coop. A 3-foot paver stone walkway around the coop kept them from digging under.

3. ruca3144

ruca3144 New Egg

Feb 4, 2014
    Carroll County, MD
    Unfortunately they are not solar - I had originally bought some nice solar lanterns from Kohl's, but I liked these better. I'm going to try out some of those pillar candles that are on a timer.

Thanks for the great tips! We're first-timers so we definitely have a lot to learn! We did put hardware on the entire floor of the run but I like the paver idea too. We just happened to have a lot of extra stone that we had cleared out of some garden areas so we figured we'd use it around the coop.

4. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    LOVE your gabled Amish type coop on wheels. Do you move the coop around much to get a lot of use out of those wheels? I wanted wheels but then after seeing our wheelbarrow wheel go flat too many times (no holes in it just leaked air all the time - got tired of bicycle-pumping it) we wondered how long the life of those tractor wheels would last? We're too old to do tire changes so probably will go with a stationary setup.

Are you putting some type of awning extension at the roof line over the nestboxes for rain leak protection? If we get an Amish coop we will put a canopy over the whole coop for sun and rain protection. We didn't like standing in rain to collect eggs and some days the rain doesn't let up all day to allow a dry moment to go collect. We have a canopy over our little coop now and it works to cover (pun) so many issues - heat/sun rot protection, rain protection, nestbox leakage protection, shade protection and a place to sit under to watch the chicken entertainment.

5. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Your Ameraucana/Araucana/EE is an EE if you purchased it in a feed or hatchery store like MurrayMcMurray. Ameraucanas and Araucanas are only obtainable through private breeders or through hatchery brokers like MyPetChicken or CaliforniaHatchery that order them from private breeders. Otherwise you can consider it an EE if you paid less than $10 for it - hyper/skittish but very sweet alert birds and allow petting from chickhood to adults if not around other bully breeds that spook their gentle nature.

Ameraucanas/Araucanas/EEs are gentle birds and may be bullied by Heavy LF like mature RIRs, Orps, 'Lorps, BRs, and SLWs. As chicks/pullets these breeds will seem to get along but at full maturity around 18 months to 2 years old will begin to hassle the gentle EE. May I suggest in future you either get a minimum of 2 EEs in a mixed flock or get all EEs because they are not prone to broodiness, are lighterweight, easier on the feed bill, and lay big eggs very often. By age one their eggs are XL. EEs are gentle natured and not interested in flock politics so therefore get picked on - good layers shouldn't be stressed by bullies. We ordered 2 APA Ameraucanas but one sister died so we have one lone pullet left in the flock. Even the little Silkies chase the gentle soul around the yard poor thing. At least the Silkies aren't big enough to administer any harm to her.

RIRs, Orps, 'Lorps, BRs, and SLWs are considered dual purpose. These breeds are bullies and at the very least are pushy toward gentler or smaller breeds at maturity. This is not a slander at any particular breed as I love all chickens but just our experience. If you are looking for hardy free-range breeds to eventually use for meat these are the way to go but I wouldn't add a gentle EE to the mix by herself.

EEs/Amers/Arauc are not broody breeds so therefore have a better reputation of laying in winter. Only moulting stops Amer/EE egg production but then start right up again. Orps and SLWs will go broody and cuts into their yearly total egg output. RIRs and BRs have an excellent egg output and seldom go broody but as a Heavy LF are not feed economical - medium weight Dominiques are a barred variety more economical to feed with nearly the same egg output and can still brood their own chicks. We've had both BR and Dom and find the lighterweight Doms preferable in personality, economy, production, and calm flock integration.

We have steered away from heavy dual purpose Heavy LF since eggs and peaceable breeds is all we're interested in and dealing with broody breeds like Orps and SLWs is a real pain in the *** ! We got an egg layer Leghorn and would you believe SHE went broody on us too LOL! Never had this problem with our APA Ameraucana and our egg-seller friend prefers Amer/EEs as the best egg layers in her flock and she's had Marans, BRs, Leghorns, OEs, Comets, and various production hybrids and sexlinks.

Enjoy your breeds and in time you will find your favourite breed like we finally did.

Smiles

6. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    That is great! Love your security measures! And of course a lot of us are liking the coop too. The lighting is always a good idea around a coop as we discovered it kept more night critters away this past year. I love the 1800s look of your lanterns. I don't have a lantern yet as it's on my wishlist but I do have a Hummingbird solar light on during the night near the Hummingbird feeder which is also close to the coop. The solar light is in a potted vegetalbe pot and if it's going to rain I roll it under the popup canopy that's over the coop so the light doesn't get soaked. I don't like electronics or electrical apparatus left out in rain regardless of their supposed weather tolerance.

We wanted rock pebbles but the first time we let the chickens free-range the yard the rock pathway was the first thing they scratched at and slung everywhere! Having chickens is such a learning process as you go along. That's how we decided on the one-foot square paver stones instead. Easy to wash down around the outside of the coop too. We've since built a patio and raised garden bed around the coop all with paver stones. Took us 3 years and we're still expanding. The chickens like filing down their beaks on the bricks and paver stones. It somewhat keeps their toenails trimmed too so we don't have to manually trim so often. Only our 5-toed chickens need a lot of trimming on their back toes.

7. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Quote:
    P.S. Forgot to add that the egg-seller friend re-homed a bully Marans and BR. She also had a pushy Buff Orp in her flock but not as pushy now since the troublemakers were re-homed.

8. bruceha2000

bruceha2000 Chicken Obsessed

Apr 19, 2012
    NW Vermont
    You can edit your posts! Just click the pencil icon on the lower left.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  9. farmal86

farmal86 Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2014

Just finished building the coop a few weeks ago and have moved it twice. Coop isn't bad to move with the atv beings it on a boat trailer but the run is a different story. The tires are road tires rated at 1200lbs and I plan on putting four scissor jacks under it to take off the pressure when not moving it. I don't know how much I'm going to move it but I like the option especially with the winds i get in the winter.
    No over hang on the nest boxes but I guess there is always room for improvement. Im hoping the way I build them I won't have leaks or drafts. So far I'm very happy how the project has gone. My 15 10 week chicks seem to be very happy at this point

10. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Even with a good sealer to keep out rain/leaking there's still the issue of blowing rain into the nestbox when the lid is opened. Some days the rain never lets up and you just HAVE to open that lid to retrieve those eggs - the hens don't care if it's raining - they lay rain or shine LOL

Love those wheels but hate the way they deteriorate - especially since we have more heatwaves here than normal States!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by