post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. toofarout

toofarout Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2011
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Contiguous, NOT Continental. [​IMG] Everybody forgets that Alaska is part of the Continental United States.

2. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    LOL Okay - Wonder how it made it to contiguous when continental was the semantics used in the earlier decades since Alaska wasn't attach to the U.S. border anywhere.

3. caychris

caychris Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    Antioch Ca
    I used contiguous earlier [​IMG] when I was comparing finland I think.

4. sunnysideup2

sunnysideup2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2014
    Aiken

1 person likes this.
  5. sunnysideup2

Apr 27, 2014
    Aiken
    My coop is very solid and nothing could get in by breaking in. Could a fox dig under? the coop is sitting on 4 x 4's. I didn't think there were predators in my neighborhood, but a fox was killed (hit by car) right by my driveway. It goes to show you can't be too careful. I can't bury wire because the ground is full of gravel. The girls free range and are locked in before dark.

6. Latestarter

Latestarter Overrun With Chickens

Mar 18, 2014
    North East Texas
    A fox (or other predators) will attempt to dig under fencing or even boards at the base of a fence, but if your ladies are locked inside a "building" (with a floor of some sort I hope) you shouldn't have to fear a digger... Even if they did attempt to dig under the coop, they would still have to get through floor boards to get into the coop. I expect you'd notice the excavation before the culprit would have a chance to finish that attempt. Just as an aside, foxes, coyotes (and neighbor's loose dogs/cats) also "hunt" during daylight hours, especially when hungry or feeding pups/kits. It's always a risk we take when free ranging our birds, unless you're right there with them the entire time they're out.

7. clucknbell

clucknbell Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2014
    Ohio
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Latestarter

Latestarter Overrun With Chickens

Mar 18, 2014
    North East Texas
    Very nice! Those are some high livin' chicks [​IMG] Welcome to the thread, and [​IMG]

9. sunnysideup2

Apr 27, 2014
    Aiken

10. sunnysideup2

Apr 27, 2014
    Aiken
    There is no floor to the coop. I just out down weed block and shavings. The attached run is just grass. I think I'll attach hardware cloth as a flooring and cover it will soil. The chicken area is next to the house so I have good visibility. Of course there is still some risk to them being out. Their area is surrounded by privacy fence and they have plenty of shrub cover.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by