1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Back in the 1940's we never locked our farmhouse door and never worried about illegal entries. Now in the 21st Century we've got key locks on our Amish chicken coops LOL!!!

2. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    You definitely don't want to wait until something unexpected happens before doing the better reinforcements. Otherwise you'll be kicking yourself and saying "if only I had done that sooner." The worst part would be explaining to your child what happened. That's the part I hated with my kids - explaining what happened to their pet.

3. gilcamp4

gilcamp4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2013
    delaware
    we are making a new coop and can not free range, we have one coop out of an rv, which we will still use, I would like to know if anyone has a coop with run inside the chicken yard, our coop is 27' long and the yard is 30 by 30, I would like to put a covered run so they have a place to go in the winter like last winter they got locked in coop when it snowed, I would like a run little longer then coop and about 14' wide with wood up 3/4 then screen, put it on the side that will not be hit by wind. any ideas.

4. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Thank you for the kind words.

I get a couple gardening magazines from heritage farms from Oregon and Maine (once you get a magazine every other publication in the world gets your address). The varieties in these cold climate areas supposedly survive cold or snowy weather. You might find some produce that can survive the climate in your area. During the one or two weeks we might get frost I tarp my raised garden bed to protect my winter crops until the freezing nights go away. We had rock hard soil when we moved in 25 years ago. Today our raised garden bed is experiencing it's 3rd year of rich composted soil. The rest of the yard is still tough but the raised beds and container veggies all have good worked over soil. Every year I sterilize the garden beds and container soil (clear plastic bakes the soil). Then I add a bag of steer manure (our chickens don't make enough manure for a whole garden bed), a bag of organic Espoma veggie fertilizer, a bag of Vermiculite, a bag of Planting Mix (not chemically treated Miracle-Gro soil but some other brand of organic planting mix), and a gallon baggie full of finely crushed oven-baked chicken egg shells I saved for the year from our girls. The best darn one-pound-plus tomatoes grow in that raised bed!

Wow! you got me beat on the cost of eggs. We figured ours run us about $36/dozen! I like that you got the same breed for your flock. It really is the best way to go rather than trying to figure out which breeds mix well with what others.

5. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Whoa! That's an ambitious build!

I've seen videos on youtube where people shovel paths from the coop through the snow so the chickens have ground paths instead of slushy snow to forage.

Sounds like a good thing for the chickens to have a covered run and wishing you the best!

6. sammirae09

sammirae09 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2014
    Clarksville, TN
    exactly. it's crazy. i'm from the country where we didn't have to worry about that stuff and now it's ridiculous. i had to get a home alarm system and everything. i'm also getting a motion detector for my coop

7. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Quote: Therein lies the problem...I live on the east side of the state. Oregon's west side? Only wish I did live "over the hill" on the west side...they've got dirt! Everything on the east side of the Cascade Mountain Range is kitty litter....literally (no pun intended!) Over here on my side there's not much you can do unless you high-tunnel and bring in huge quantities of the 'gold' ... dirt. Here it's either logging, or free-ranging cattle on BLM land. [​IMG]

8. jtbass2756

jtbass2756 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Nash County , NC
    My Coop
    [​IMG]My BCM's took the longest time to take to the roost. In the brooder they were always trying to fly up on the tallest thing in there...move them to the kennel in the yard and put a two roost (two different heights....then they wanted to just cuddle together on the ground.! BUT,,,,they finally started taking to the roost and now, they do the fighting thing to see who gets what spot!!![​IMG]

9. jtbass2756

jtbass2756 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Nash County , NC
    My Coop
    Despite all the afternoon rains, my friends got the flooring in a a couple of pieces of the siding done. Then it poured again! Thunder, etc.
    [​IMG]

10. QueenBubbles

QueenBubbles Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2014
    Davis, CA
    Coop done, placed in yard:
    [​IMG]
    Day 2: it might do...;-)
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by