1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Swalah salim

Swalah salim Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2014
    mombasa .Kenya.
    what breed is my boy[​IMG]

2. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    It really turned out nice! But I hear you about modifications. When we looked at pre-fab store sheds we'd have to make so many modifications to make it workable for chickens that we just want to get a coop already built and delivered to the backyard. At 70 we have no health to build ourselves.

3. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

I'm a bit of a novice, but I'd say some sort of Modern Game or Asil. The "What breed is this?" threads might be a better place to ask though.

4. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Thanks for adding the clarification. I knew what I meant in my mind but sometimes what we post isn't clear enough.

Meanwhile I talked with a couple companies that have no problem modifying their coops to have flat side up perches instead of narrow side up. So many of these companies have beautiful coops but know nothing about chickens or people that need a full door instead of the little 4-foot hunched over doors they make.

Ezcleancoops.com have an alternate designed Amish coop where the end opposite the windows opens up with wide double doors for cleaning and you never have to walk inside the coop and has tilt out windows opening from the outside - but like with everything there is a drawback - the price was decent/comparable but the legs and walls just didn't look as well-built as the board-n-batton Amish pineboard walls and skids, and the perches were not flat-side up. I bet if it was dependent on a sale they'd fix the perches for us - after all they advertise "custom" coops. We like their design because its roomy to clean without needing a separate drop-down cleanout lid because the entire back has double doors opening to the entire coop and the perches and droppings tray are very easy to access. I still hate outside nestboxes with top-lid openings so we'd need to put that type of coop under a gazebo/canopy to protect from rain and maybe even some sun damage protection to preserve the finish. To modify the design to make a drop down door to an outside nestbox would mean a very low stooping down for us to collect eggs - just never can find the perfect coop even if you're willing to pay the $$$ for one.

Lancaster Amish coops have an extra tall Quaker coop with a taller door entrance and were good about the perch modifications and window modifications to open from the outside and just looked better-built than any others I've researched. Forgot to ask them if they would modify a double-door in the wall instead of a drop-down lid for the cleanout tray - it's the wall that has the narrow cleanout lid that drops down below and a ventilation drop lid above. We've got a couple years till we need one so will keep researching. The hunt is more challenging than the kill.

5. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Even if the owners don't like grapes, the chickens WILL! Ours go nuts for them.

6. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    That is one nice coop. What a nice DH!!

If you use the underside of the coop for chickens to access it may be difficult to retrieve broodies or sick ones from underneath. Do you plan to wire off the bottom of the coop?

7. Sylviesoph

Sylviesoph Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2014
    South West of England
    This is my brothers first attempt, he's an apprentice carpenter. I'm sure we've made mistakes but this is our start up coop. :D[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. l14m23

l14m23 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2014
    Oswaldtwistle
    [​IMG]

1st feed inside there new coop [​IMG]

9. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Cinnamon Queens? Lohman Browns? Red Sexlinks? Looks like good layers from the nestboxes shown.

10. l14m23

l14m23 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2014
    Oswaldtwistle
    There called warrens yep good layers get 1 egg a day off each of them [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by