post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. ozys5000

ozys5000 Just Hatched

Jun 19, 2014

Thanks a lot for all the comments ! You are definitely an active community !

To answer your questions - I'm located in Lithuania (guess you'll have to google that) in a rural area - so most of the materials I needed to build the coop were around me. The main part is made from willows. Not much to explain here - you just take some willows and weave them :) I used the ones which were left from cleaning a ditch - not really the best choise, but did the job. A predator proof hardware cloth is stapled underneath as well as breathable/watertight film, something like tyvek. Base/Floor is made from a couple of plywood panels I found in a dumpster, from very large crates or something.
    I have to say, I'm won't be keeping them during the winter here (it gets pretty harsh sometimes), they will go to my neighbor (I'm not living here all year round)

As for cleaning - there's a hatch in the floor - you open that and sweep everything. There's also an opening on
    the other side to access the nesting boxes.

I have 3 japanese bantams, 4 dominant cz and 3 of I'm still not sure what :D I guess they are Cream Legbars as they lay green eggs and have head crests. I'll post a picture later

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  2. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Don't feel bad. This is what I started with 3 years ago and still have today. We didn't have any say in the design as it was custom pre-built when we saw it at the feed store and they actually delivered it for us. It's a nifty design but made out of cheap materials so we tarp it from the weather and cover it at night when the chickens roost. We have the base set on paver stones with dirt left in the center. We've since raised the coop on planks leftover from our house remodeling so the base doesn't sit in water on rainy days - there's no pressure treated wood on this coop. It's as cheaply made as a doll house but thank goodness the hens don't complain. I've been through 8 chickens in 3 years and now left with 4 hens - and they only use it to lay eggs and roost at nite - the rest of the day they free-range the yard where we have lots of lean-to's, doghouse, and canopy for them to hide/snooze under. The coop's got to last at least another couple years before we can replace with something better quality.

[​IMG]

3. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    This is a new one - I thought I'd seen everything until now! How do you retrieve the eggs? Does the chicken door close at night to protect from predators? The hut looks like it belongs on a tropical island or outback somewhere. Very unique.

4. AnnHolden

AnnHolden Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2014
    pic of our girls' coup . [​IMG]
    :)

1 person likes this.
  5. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Nice digs. I put a 2-foot high 50-foot long rabbit fencing around my vegetable garden to keep the chickens out. A couple times they jumped or flew over the fence - we didn't yell or chase them but gently guided them out of the garden area and they got the message. They respect the barrier now even though they can easily jump over it (2 Silkies, 1 Buff Leghorn, 1 Ameraucana).

6. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    If you know my posts by now I always suggest a roof overhang or awning over the nestbox for the rainy days of egg collecting so the nestbox material stays dry when the lid is open. We had to put up a canopy after the first day we collected eggs on a rainy day when it wouldn't stop pouring. Set it up on paver stones so it doesn't sit on soggy or dewy grass or soil.

Nice coop build. Leaving it au naturale or staining it?

7. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Thanks heartsized - I knew there was a reason for not mixing them as my folks never had turkeys on the farm with all the other fowl we had like chickens, ducks, & geese. I notice in all the chicken sites that the turkeys are always in a pen by themselves. And it's not recommended for turkeys to graze a pasture just grazed by chickens before.

8. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Wonderful example to your kids to make this a family project! I don't believe you aren't a builder - you're joshing us right?

9. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Saw this coop on Westphalia Trading Co. but we don't have wide enough access for the size of it. I really liked all their coops.

10. jtbass2756

jtbass2756 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Nash County , NC
    My Coop
    Please do .....you will find that the group on here thrive on pictures and details.. it gives us new ideas and we like to share ideas also...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by