post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    LOVE the tilt-up windows in your coop. You don't have to go inside the coop every day to open and close them - just do it from the outside. Now why can't the Amish and other coop builders figure that one out?! Only about 5% of coop manufacturers use windows that open out. You also have the egg collection door opening from the wall of the coop instead of an egg box sticking outside the coop - Eggs-cellent - but I bet an awning or a flat shelf over the door will be helpful still during rainy weather or to set an egg collection basket on, etc ! Now if you keep your egg boxes level with the floor without a board across the front bottom of the nestboxes the nesting material will be scratched out and the eggs will roll into the rest of the coop to get broken. Or you can put a couple dish tubs or some plastic container that fits in each box with nesting straw inside to keep the eggs contained. Absolutely wonderful coop that I wouldn't mind owning!

2. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    I found out about the health issues with powdery products around chickens after I ordered my expensive 10-lb bag of pure White food grade DE and it sat unopened for 3 months and just gave it away when someone wanted it. I feel like I saved my chickens from a health risk in the nick of time but unfortunately not my pocketbook! I also found that my two feed stores don't carry the White high grade DE but the unfiltered/unrefined Yellowy or Grayish clay-filled DE - but it's moot since no DE is good for chickens.

I research a lot and get educated opinions before trying something new on chickens. Some people don't have the personality or "time" to research before they accept every snake oil suggestion on the internet for their chickens. This is why I love these BYC threads. I follow many of these threads as there is so much good chickeneer feedback who post research articles by experts on many issues.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  3. AnnHolden

AnnHolden Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2014
    yes white rock hens

4. PeckPeckChick

PeckPeckChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    South Bay Area
    Start with the price you paid to buy all the materials then add about $50-$200 for labor

5. Melabella

Melabella Overrun With Chickens

Jun 2, 2011
    May I ask what kind of paint you put on the floor here? Love the way your coop turned out!

MB

6. Latestarter

Latestarter Overrun With Chickens

Mar 18, 2014
    North East Texas
    Looks exactly like the Blackjack #57 I have in mine. or perhaps a similar product.

7. JONNIEGIRL

JONNIEGIRL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    Wow, it is really nice!

8. Melabella

Melabella Overrun With Chickens

Jun 2, 2011
    How do you like that for a surface? I have to power wash the new shed and white wash it with BYC Member Pigeon Guys whitewash solution to kill every creepy crawly that shouldn't be in there.. There is a pretty solid little ant infestation in there. Then I was wondering what I should put down on the floor. Glass board, paint, or was even thinking of stall mats.. I remember reading somewhere on here people weighing in on that. Have to do a search.

What is your favorite flooring that you have used for your coops?

MB

9. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Poultry Protector has been around for a while. It's a great hidden secret. My feed store only had one bottle we chanced to try a few years back. We came back to the feed store to buy their one bottle on the shelf and the clerk asked if it was any good. I wouldn't keep buying it if it wasn't I said. Next time I returned to the store they not only stocked several bottles of Poultry Protector but several other products from the same manufacturer. Poultry protector also comes in larger refill bottles but I've only seen those larger sizes online.

10. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    No flooring. Just dirt. Our custom pre-built coop came with an open bottom so we set it on paver stones and lifted it a little higher on wood skids leftover from our house remodel. I like the dirt because it makes for a softer landing when the birds jump to the ground from the nestboxes when not using the ramp. Amish coops come with an optional plastic floor liner that we are considering if we go with a Quaker coop next time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by