post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    LOL - Who cares even if they're classified in the Elephant family - they're still nasty no matter what animal family they belong to!

2. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    New chicks or old hens - for safety do quarantine for 30 days minimum from the main flock coop. I had a breeder who shipped 2 juveniles to me with feather lice and worms. I'm glad I used the quarantine method or I might've exposed my existing flock to the newbies.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  3. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Well while I've been babysitting my daughter's place she had visits from both oppossums AND raccoons this past week. God help us I hope there aren't weasels in the neighborhood too. I was picking up trash for almost an hour from the raccoon's mess. I weighted my daughter's huge trash can and so far two days later the raccoon hasn't opened it. I know it's been around because the dog has been sniffing it's trail. I just hope there isn't a confrontation with the dog. A dead oppossum last week was enough for me!

4. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Cool - Besides a thorough clean (I always clean items traded with other chickeneers) the only expense you'll have is paver stones to set the coop on and 1/2 " hardwire to reinforce properly. Nice of your uncle!

5. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    This chicken-chick website has a ton of articles and information. I especially like her research on not using diatomaceous earth in chicken litter or dust-bath dirt. Chickens are easily susceptible to respiratory issues and unknowing newbies and even old timer chickeneers liberally sprinkle powdered insecticide, Sevin, DE thinking they are doing their responsible effort to keep their chickens healthy not realizing that flying powders, even something as seemingly harmless as baking soda, can cause respiratory issues. My Leghorns were notorious for sneezing just taking a plain dirt dust bath so instead of using any type of insecticide powders on either the chickens or their coop, we opted to use OMRI (organic) Poultry Protector spray for lice/mite/scaly mite protection (directions on the bottle for both chicken and coop uses). This stuff like anything that is quality is not cheap but it WORKS and easier on the chickens' lungs if the easy directions are followed. We use it about once a month to treat each chicken and the nestbox and perch crevices.

6. jtbass2756

jtbass2756 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Nash County , NC
    My Coop
    Thank you so much for the information. We are building a coop out of recycled wood and there is going to be uneven coverage....to say the least but i'd like to seal the wood where it stands so that it doesn't continue to age... Was part of an old shed for years and years....probably around 50 yrs old. [​IMG] Still going to use a scrap of armstrong vinyl on the floor that will go up the wall a bit.[​IMG]

7. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Thank you SO much Sylvester017 for your post!! I recently purchased some DE with great reservations and I'll be takiing it back to the feed store today. I have OMRI Poultry Protector spray on my "list" to purchase which I'll do today. Thanks again!

8. SharkmanDan

SharkmanDan Chillin' With My Peeps

I had googled "deep litter method" and came up with several articles referring to it, but none as comprehensive, as the one I was referred to, by "The Chicken Chick".

9. jtbass2756

jtbass2756 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Nash County , NC
    My Coop
    You might save yourself a trip and call your source....I usually go to TSC but could never find it stocked. Finally asked and they said they didn't sell that much of it so the didn't re=supply unless asked. There is a place and label on the shelf....just no bottle! LOL But, I did go ahead and order some so I could have it if I needed it. I just wasted 3 weeks by not asking when I didn't find it the first time.[​IMG]

10. Demidog

Demidog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2014
    Macedonia
    We're going to convert our stone build shed into a coup with a run attached. We had actually already made one but ended up putting the dog in it so we can use more space in the garden for growing food. It's a big area and we're going let her out after the growing season. So we're going to make a run for the chickens on the other side. Anyway, until then we have made a tractor out of scrap in the garden. It looks like sh*t but looks aren't the priority. The main thing is it protects the chicks from the neighbors cat, who ate all my last lot of chicks, and other predators, and it seems to be doing the job! It's pretty heavy to move but with two people it's possible. I put some branches in for perches and a box to hide in, they seem to be enjoying it! I'v got 11 chicks in there just now, ranging from 1-4 weeks old, and they're all getting on great. I'm bringing them in at night under the heat lamp in my bathroom because they are still young, but it's hot during the day and they're fine out there pecking and scratching away the the ground. It's lovely watching them, better than TV! lol :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by