post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. junko

junko Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2014
    Rhode Island
    I used this plan but raised it off the ground 18" and made it half as tall: http://ana-white.com/2012/05/plans/shed-chicken-coop. The inside is still just empty with a temporary roost since they are too young to use nest boxes or a permanently high roost- they are sleeping in a pile on the floor even though they will sit on the temporary roost during the day! Here's the inside: [​IMG]

I insulated the ceiling and the sides but not the back since it's flat up against the house. There are two 8" square vents up high in the back, and the front eaves are all open with hardware cloth screen for ventilation. They already prefer going in there in the afternoon when it gets hot outside- it's definitely cooler inside than out!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Browse through the Learning Center. There are a few fantastic articles there, including one on the deep litter method.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  3. Melabella

Melabella Overrun With Chickens

Jun 2, 2011
    Happy Sunday everyone!

Beautiful here this morning in New York State. Heavenly!

Ok, Ive been looking on Craigslist for months now for a used coop or shed. Lately, Craigslist has been no bargain,, with prices almost close to cost on there! I would find a good shed at the right price, but then paying someone to move it at 3 to 4 dollars a mile ends up being close to a new one!

Well the other day I found a new ad listed very close to my home. Yeah! Shed only 2 years old, and looked in excellent shape. Poor people foreclosing on their home and need to get it off property by Wednesday. Their misfortune turns into my good luck. I felt bad about that. I did mention to them the only reason I could buy it was because of the price they listed as I am going to have to pay a shed company to move it and lay stone down for me and position it next to my existing coop. I still am going to have to pay $$ to build a run as well and for the modifications to the shed.

Here are my ideas so far..

1. More ventilation via windows, and a bigger vent than the existing one there.
    2. Nest boxes. The shed is 8 x 10, hence the 80 square feet and the 4 sq. ft per bird rule, so should be big enough for 20 chickens, but I don't intend to have that many..(HA ****** chicken math)
    3. I am so looking forward to being able to walk into the coop and stand in there! My current coop, (also bought from a yard sale/foreclosure), is one of those prefab 4 x 6 ones, and I can't tell you how many times I have smashed my head in there. I am dreaming of one of those poop shelves under the roosting bars for daily walk in, and scoop out and keep as much of the floor space open for those long winter shut in days and inclement weather days when the flock is stuck inside.
    4. I am also going to put in a wire door with 1 x 1 welded wire so I can keep the door open, but the flock in if I have to.

How high is ideal for roosting bars? Is it ok for nest boxes to be at ground level or should they be a bit off ground even though they should be below roosting height?

Have at it with the input with the photos, I am going over all your beautiful pictures and thank you all for sharing your ideas, and photos!
    What ever would I do without this site?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

What do you think? A bargain at $450!

MB

1 person likes this.
  4. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    WOW!!! You "done" good!!! [​IMG]That will make for an excellent coop for sure!! Wishing you well, and be sure to post pics as you progress on your journey through chicken land!! [​IMG]

5. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    OHHHH!!!! I'm so jealous. Fabulous buy. [​IMG]

6. Latestarter

Latestarter Overrun With Chickens

Mar 18, 2014
    North East Texas
    ^^^ What they said! You got a "steal!" [​IMG] That will make an awesome coop, and no more head banging (tongue in cheek) [​IMG] Now, on to your questions...

If floor space is your desire, and it seems to be, you could either cut out/alter a portion of wall and attach external nest boxes on one side, or build a "table" of about 2 foot height and place the best boxes up on that, so the chickens can walk underneath it and still have that floor space. Remember to put a sloped roof over the nest boxes too keep the chickens from roosting on top and pooping into them. Your signature states that you have what, 10 laying hens? So figuring 3 hens per nest box, you'll need about 5-6 (taking into account chicken math again:[​IMG]) which should easily fit down one wall. I don't know if you plan on doing broody hens and having chicks (your sig says you have a roo) so you might add a perch in front of the nest boxes (or extend the "table" out a little) and maybe a ramp for the future chicks to get down from the box. Of course when momma leaves, the chicks will follow and a 2 foot tumble to pine chips won't hurt them at all anyway.

Ideal height for roosting is basically as high as you can go and the birds can fly. As long as they have room to get up and back down. You could build another higher "table" (to hold an easily removable poop tray) on the side opposite the nest boxes, or for that matter right above them, and place the roost above that. You could put a ramp at the back going up to the table if some of your LF birds are too heavy to fly up to it.[​IMG]

On the doors, you can add a vertical "stud" splitting where the two doors meet and then only screen one side... If you want them to free range, you open the side w/no screen... if you want to keep them in jail, you open the screened side. It will also give you a much more secure way to close and lock the doors to keep chicken eaters out. Coons especially can use those talented hands to pull the doors open at the center and then crawl up and in through the gap at the bottom. [​IMG]

7. Latestarter

Mar 18, 2014
    North East Texas
    Sorry for the delayed answer JT... it doesn't state anything regarding safe for animals on the label or elsewhere. It's a roofing sealer after all... I went on the recommendation of others who have used it before me and had no problems (over YEARS of use). There's really nothing for the chickens to peck at/on... it dries "hard," just like any paint would... and it will be covered by bedding material which should keep their scratching and pecking interests occupied. It's water based, so easy clean up after application, and at 80 degrees, dried to a useable point in a couple of hours. There is minimal odor during application (I was worried about that so left the walls unfinished till after I applied it) and no odor at all after it dries.

I had a rainstorm pass through right after I finished applying it and ended up with a puddle of water on one side of the coop (before it had fully cured), and it did no damage at all... the water evaporated and the sealant hardened up just like the rest of the application area. No leak through any where. I have noticed that where a coop door scrapes it due to contact, it does wear through, but that would happen to anything... paint, linoleum, even tile over time... Just have to measure and cut then construct better to make sure there's no contact [​IMG]

So far, I'm 100% satisfied with the product and it has lived up to everything I've read about it when used in/for this particular application.

8. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

Simple solution, door that opens outwards. [​IMG]

9. Latestarter

Mar 18, 2014
    North East Texas
    I painted the sills as well [​IMG] so opening direction matters not... the bottom of the door rubs the sill in one spot, and that is where the coating has been worn through... Not a huge issue as the bedding will not be in continuous contact w/that spot. I could remove and cut/sand/plane that part of the door, or the sill, but... it's a CHICKEN coop after all, not a people home, so I'm not going to worry about that one little spot [​IMG]

10. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

Yeah, the mantra of all coop builders [​IMG]

I was making silly assumptions based on American cinema once again. Bad guys should learn to install outward opening doors on their hideouts, it would make it harder for the cops to kick in the door.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by