post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. JekkaLynn

JekkaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2014
    I have always had wild possums around the place I have lived and have never lost a chicken to one. I have lost chickens to coons and weasels but never to a possum.
  2. junko

junko Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2014
    Rhode Island

YES! I just finished my coop today. All that trimwork was a pain! The girls will be 6 weeks old on Monday so I finished it in the nick of time! It's 4x8 and the egg door is on the other side. It's a little dark-- I'll try to post a better photo sometime.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
    2 people like this.
  3. SharkmanDan

SharkmanDan Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, they are too steep. I pretty much knew that. And, too narrow. Tomorrow, I get out there, and start working on the next phase of the project. I designed inside storage, that will double as steps, kind of like a staircase, for each side, and lots of perching/roosting sticks attached. Those will not be an overnight incarnation, so, I'll use some more appropriate scrap, to build some more graduated step ramps, to get them by, until the new setup is ready.
    Also, below one of the nesting boxes, will be a grow out pen, enclosed in and of itself. That way, the new chicks, coming this week, will grow up, in the company of, but sequestered from, our current flock. I've been told that can make for easier acclimation, once they have grown to proper size.

Oh, and that's 8'x12' floor space. The nesting boxes are 2'x12' each. The whole coop, is 12'x12'+x10'H. For our flock, it's huge. But, we just got 13 more adults, today, and have two, 4 week old pullets, in a grow out pen, and 30 more chicks, coming Monday or Tuesday.
    Honestly, I knew nothing about coop design, or construction. My buddy, Travis, is a cabinetmaker/carpenter, and came over one day with an idea, that looked good on paper, so we went with it. It's kind of a learning process, for both of us at this point. He knows construction, and I needed a coop. It worked pretty well, but we are learning as we go, and working out the bugs.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  4. kenmlang

kenmlang Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2014
    They are not as aggressive as coons, but, given a chance, they will kill and eat your birds. They have to be pretty hungry to do this, but they will.
  5. collegegardener

collegegardener Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2014
    Russellville, Arkansas

My coop :) it was given to me. My uncle is the creative one who built it!
    1 person likes this.
  6. SharkmanDan

Very nice coop!
  7. SharkmanDan

Okay, ANOTHER newbie question, here. Being at the grand old experience level, of about 2-1/2 months, I have no clue about most common lexicon, regarding chickens.
    Your post was not the first I've seen reference the "deep litter" method. Being completely ignorant, I guess there are no stupid questions, but what is that?
  8. DoubleMM

DoubleMM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2014

Hello June,

Nice job.

Hope you can post more photos, inside and out.

I plan on adding a couple of wings on my coop to separate breeders and I like your concept and 4x8 size
  9. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    1 person likes this.
  10. SharkmanDan

Thank you. I tried Google, but never found that article. That's just the info I was looking for.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by