post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. bryanpocalyko

bryanpocalyko New Egg

May 28, 2014
    I live in lower New York, it gets cold here during winter. I was wondering if I should insulate my coop. Anyone have any thoughts?

2. Latestarter

Latestarter Overrun With Chickens

Mar 18, 2014
    North East Texas
    Greetings Bryan and [​IMG] and the thread!

If your birds are adults, you don't need to insulate the coop. They'll be fine right down to sub zero temps as long as you do one thing... prevent drafts directly on them where they roost. Ventilation is obviously still required and beneficial, but they will get chilled if there's any wind/breeze blowing directly on them, ruffling their feathers. You should also make sure their roost is wide enough for them to "stand" flat footed so they can lower themselves down and cover their feet with their feathers to keep their feet warm. They will also huddle together to share warmth if it gets really cold.
    However, insulating will make YOU feel nice and warm when it gets cold outside [​IMG]

3. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

One added effect of insulation is soundproofing. We don't let ours out before nine, so everyone gets to sleep in the mornings without getting woken by a cockadoodledoo.

4. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Bruceha2000 - the 3" was your idea but the redwood was my input - we saw them at the HD and Lowe's and they are nice and I believe bug deterrent as well. Tree branches are nice too if they are bigger than some of the skimpy ones I've seen in some of these coops that wouldn't hold up a heavy chicken for very long. Beg to disagree but I do not believe in roosts over the nestboxes as that chicken poop can shoot everywhere and I personally am not a fan of cleaning chicken poop from an area where my eating eggs are layed. Just me - Smiles :)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  5. donniek

donniek Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2014
    Central Arkansas
    I'm wondering if it would be worth the extra $100(ish) bucks to finish the inside of my small coop with plyboard interior walls, or if the painted framing and inside of the exterior walls would be OK as is? I'm imaging poo getting piled up on everywhere there is a flat surface.

Besides the expense, another concern I am trying to deal with is overall weight of the structure, so the less material involved the better off I am.

Thanks,
    Donnie

6. jacrowkieley

jacrowkieley Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2014
    [​IMG]

This is the outside of the coop, finally finished. :)

2 people like this.
  7. donniek

Jun 15, 2014
    Central Arkansas

That is great looking... very "country".

1 person likes this.
  8. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Sounds to me like you've already made up your mind what you're going to do. Nice to use us as a sounding board, isn't it? You figured out your own solution inside your own question LOL

9. donniek

Jun 15, 2014
    Central Arkansas

It may seem so, but I've looked at so many pictures of pre-fab units online, and quite a few on here as well where interior walls weren't used, so... aww shucks - I guess you're right. [​IMG]

10. jacrowkieley

jacrowkieley Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2014

We didn't put up interior walls. I wish we had bc I have to spend the extra time getting the poo & shavings out of all the nooks & crannies. I do like that we used linoleum flooring, that makes it easier & quicker for me to clean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by