post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Yes I was just referencing also but when I saw DE mentioned I just HAD to share. I bought some expensive pure white food grade DE (not the yellow or gray clay content) thinking it was going to be great stuff to use around the chickens. For 3 months I was waffling about using it because there were so many conflicting reports about whether it was effective or safe. What clinched it for me was the warning label of how you had to wear a mask and goggles to use it but I couldn't put a mask and goggles on my little chickens so I gave it away unopened. The person who's using it hasn't given any glowing raves about it so far - not a peep [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

@rubie , you're making me blush [​IMG] I did notice a flaw though, there's some mouse poop accumulating around the feed bins. They can't get into them, but that doesn't stop them from trying. I'm going to put in some rodent netting, I have a roll of it in the shed. But that's a "when I get around to it" thing.

3. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Quote:
    Funny you should mention that. I also have "enthusiastic diggers" ...I really have no explanation for why they do it, but around the perimeter of my run they tend to dig, dig, dig! My solution is to add a second 2 x 4 laid upright in between each post and screwed in, to add some "height" to the base. Then I'm going to get a dump truck load of sand and fill 'er in! Chickens....go figure!! [​IMG]

4. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Are you sure you want to use DE? It's just not worth the risk in my mind.

5. islandgirl82

islandgirl82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Maine
    Thank you! You must have, I find very few people recognize the Landseer unless they've actually had newfies. Yes they are amazing dogs! I got him as a 9 month old rescue and I was 5 months pregnant. I already had a rescued newf and was asked to take him in though I wasn't so sure a puppy was a good idea but wanted to meet him before making that call. I was expecting the typical bouncing puppy but the moment we met, he sniffed my belly and then just sat on my feet and hasn't left my side since.

6. PrimroseMom1

PrimroseMom1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA

Awwwwwwww. I've always had animals and I love them all. But, there are always one or a few that can bring tears to my eyes even thinking if them. That was my Maxwell. He passed 10 years ago and I am tearing up even writing this.

7. islandgirl82

Jul 4, 2014
    Maine
    Same here. Willie is 7 years old which is getting up there for a giant breed and I dread the day he moves on.

8. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    Well I hope you have him for many years to come! Many of ours made it into their teens (my Mastiff is 6 now and I feel the same way as I cram all the joint meds and salmon oil and other good stuff I can into his food).

9. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    This thread is a serious time suck, and a joy to behold! I've had so much fun looking at all the coops and gleaning ideas for mine. Makes me impatient for it to arrive!!!!

1 person likes this.
  10. islandgirl82

Jul 4, 2014
    Maine
    I had a Newfie/chow chow mix who lived to be 17 and he was a medical disaster so I have the hope of many more years with Willie. We take 4-5 mile hikes a couple of times a week and his joints are great but I know a little about his history and genetics and it's not so great. He's also allergic to everything which has been our biggest challenge so far but if that's the extent to his health problems from here on out then I'm thrilled to pieces. [​IMG]
    I know what you mean! All this eye candy is making it difficult to settle on certain features for finishing my own coop but then again, I think there will always be room for improvement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by