post your chicken coop pictures here!

I started to build my framework for my 4'x8' coop and my husband got MAD!!!!!

He took it apart and then told me that he would get it done later!!!!!
he.gif

Irritating MAN!!!!!
Oh the picture is where I laid the pieces out to get the picture after he took it apart..
frow.gif
Now my dh gets really irritated when he sees that I am doing the actual building..
rant.gif
.He would have a fit if he saw me using the recipricating saw on a ladder. So heavy that I couldn't hold it up thus NO level cuts.....BUT....no matter what I put together....he BEST NOT....take anything apart. Now, I will listen if he can tell me how I could make a more sturdy "whatever"....because I have no experience at building.. I sure have learned stuff the wrong way and have taken apart so so many things! LOL
duc.gif
However,, he just shakes his head and tries to tell me not to do too much. (he's really more concerned with my health problems) But he has been married to me for 45 yrs and he knows that when I don't get it done for me within a practical amount of time...(I think, since I was promised this would get done last March,
idunno.gif
, that I had waited an appropriate amount of time!! I waited until May, I think, and had chicks that needed a place)....I'm going to do it myself !!!!!!
tongue.gif
If he gets mad with what you've tried to get done....show him my coop picts...!! LOL
lau.gif

Last edited:
sounds just like my Husband.I need to learn some basic carpenter skills.I did get a cordless drill for Christmas.and boy that has come in handy.I was looking at a small skill saw.and was told YOU DON'T NEED THAT.When he sees me heading off to the coop.with wire.hammer and what ever else I think I may need.He comes a running.And asking me what are you doing.Than I hear I'll do that,In a irritating voice.HE does P~~~s me off.

Sad right... Mine disassembled what I had built... Guess what... He's talking about putting it all back like I had it to build 'HIS' ideal coop... :barnie
Maybe I'll just sit back and watch him do it all... :pop anyone want popcorn?

th.gif
Ok...........so no one told me how heavy a reciprocating saw is and how hard it is to use!! I only have 3 more post to trim (the tops)....have done 7 ! I can mark them all day long and since I am standing on top of a ladder and having to cradle that thing in my arm.
ep.gif
....I don't have a single level top
barnie.gif
...already thinking thru how to go back to get that right.! But WOW !!!! I had to quit for a few minutes and then I have to go finish before dh gets home at lunch or he will kill me! LOL Talk to you all later!!
DONE.........................!!
rant.gif

We used the cheap 6-ft bamboo stakes (bought them completely out at 99 Cents store) and my DH brought home a roll of Starbuck's paper cups and I used those instead of heavier flower pots to hold up our bird netting. We had to use 2x3's to hold the netting down at ground level because the smart wild birds go under the netting and fly around in the garden. The boards have to completely anchor the netting on the ground or else the birds find openings to get inside the netting.

BTW - it doesn't keep rodents like mice or rats out - they chew right through the bird netting like butter!

BTW - the Starbuck cups were plastic coated and lasted for several months through spring/summer.

@Sylvester017 Here's a pic of the mesh in use, I've installed it on the lower bottom to keep rodents out of the breathing space between the siding and insulation.
So basically it behaves like the 1/2 inch or 1/4 inch hardwires we've been discussing on these posts? Except of course 1/4 inch is lighterweight.

I can't afford a store bought coop lol...
lau.gif

I bought a custom-built coop in a feed store built by a private seller and the perch in it was stationary and we can't remove it. The little 4x6 coop had a lot of nifty design features but he used all cheap OSB planks, cheap one-inch poultry wire, and 2x2 strip for a perch AT THE SAME LEVEL as the nesting boxes so obviously a person who was handy at carpentering but cheap on materials and didn't know a whole lot about chickens. Still we are protecting it from the weather and it is serving well enough with a pop-up canopy over it for added protection. Can't wait for our home mortgage to be paid off next year so we can get the chickens a good quality home of their own. I absolutely love the pine board and batten Amish coops but our SoCal weather is way too hot for that much enclosure. Maybe we can use one of our house contractor's handymen to build us a custom coop so we don't have to pay shipping on an Amish. I can dream, can't I?
idunno.gif

Hahaha. I always build alone and probably build two structures by the time I'm done bec of redoing!! Lol. Part of the fun is figuring out how to overcome a problem. On my latest, the little blocks with stars are bec I cut the big posts on each side of the door too short. I cut 2 squares of about 2" to make up the difference, but it didn't look very good, so I bought the star squares from Lowe's to cover it up and I love how it came out. lol there were many such changes. So fun.
Some few people are talented at scavenging and coming out with great ideas and you are definitely one of them!

sounds just like my Husband.I need to learn some basic carpenter skills.I did get a cordless drill for Christmas.and boy that has come in handy.I was looking at a small skill saw.and was told YOU DON'T NEED THAT.When he sees me heading off to the coop.with wire.hammer and what ever else I think I may need.He comes a running.And asking me what are you doing.Than I hear I'll do that,In a irritating voice.HE does P~~~s me off.
I think we all have been married too long
lau.gif

My DH doesn't interfere any more and just comes running when I need a second pair of hands or need his strength on a heavy part of a build. I have pounds more patience than he does for projects or DIY assemblies so he's perfectly amenable to this arrangement - 18 years and counting!

I bought a custom-built coop in a feed store built by a private seller and the perch in it was stationary and we can't remove it.  The little 4x6 coop had a lot of nifty design features but he used all cheap OSB planks, cheap one-inch poultry wire, and 2x2 strip for a perch AT THE SAME LEVEL as the nesting boxes so obviously a person who was handy at carpentering but cheap on materials and didn't know a whole lot about chickens.  Still we are protecting it from the weather and it is serving well enough with a pop-up canopy over it for added protection.  Can't wait for our home mortgage to be paid off next year so we can get the chickens a good quality home of their own.  I absolutely love the pine board and batten Amish coops but our SoCal weather is way too hot for that much enclosure.  Maybe we can use one of our house contractor's handymen to build us a custom coop so we don't have to pay shipping on an Amish.  I can dream, can't I?   :idunno

Lol... I know what you mean... We have been getting supplies a little at a time and going to a near by construction area and they happily give me a few items here and there... We just got a full sheet of plywood for it...

Back
Top Bottom