post your chicken coop pictures here!

Another 6 hours today. Did porch, stepsn and stones.tomorrow i plan to do some more trim and to paint the interior. Sunday is the rest of the trim and the shingles. Monday caulking and touch up paint.

Too cold even at 65 tuesday for blackjack floor. So will work on poop boards and roosts.

Then i need to get supplies for the run and start that project.

Getting sick of this project.

It's looking great and you are on the home stretch. It looks a bit like a Woods style house that can be open all winter. I think it's a great design, intentional or not.

They aren't ridgeline vents. They are triangular pieces of plywood I haven't put up yet. I promised hubby I'd stay off the ladder when he's not home. The other "open" looking areas near the roof aren't either. Those are places with missing trim. Hopefully all to be tackled Sunday.

It is an open woods coop. :)

Propane guy came to fill yesterday. His last visit was the beginning of January. He said,'hey! That's new! Where'd that come from?" He loves it and thinks I should fill the acerage with them. Lol. No way. He also said he loves the colour. He's sick of red and white outbuildings. He also gets a hoot seeing the girls each visit and thinks my lav orp looks like a turkey!

I won't tell her he said that. She thinks her butt looks big as it is.

Last edited:
Chicks will grow quickly with skeletal structure first and then add on some girth/meat after about 6 months.  A chicken won't grow much taller after 6 months -- just fatter/meatier.  I can't remember what breed are your chickens are?
Hi Sylvester, I was told the little gray ones were Bantam's. I got one Leghorn two Plymouth Rocks the two black ones are a mix breed. The two reddish ones I'm not sure also got two smaller reddish ones that I'm not sure of. Got 12 hens and 1 rooster 13 total.

Another 6 hours today. Did porch, stepsn and stones.
tomorrow i plan to do some more trim and to paint the interior. Sunday is the rest of the trim and the shingles. Monday caulking and touch up paint.

Too cold even at 65 tuesday for blackjack floor. So will work on poop boards and roosts.

Then i need to get supplies for the run and start that project.

Getting sick of this project.

But it's so gonna be worth it. You're gonna have an amazing coop for years to come.

Last edited:

Just finished construction on the new coop. Perfect use for the last bit of yard where nothing seemed to grow anyway. 2 silkies and an easter egger call it home now.

Welded frame with ebony stained boards finished with linseed oil and wax for weather proofing.

Just finished construction on the new coop. Perfect use for the last bit of yard where nothing seemed to grow anyway. 2 silkies and an easter egger call it home now.

Welded frame with ebony stained boards finished with linseed oil and wax for weather proofing.

welcome-byc.gif
Cleatus, and welcome to the thread!
Very nicely done! Looks great
thumbsup.gif
Love the citrus
droolin.gif
wish I was in a little warmer area where I could grow some... Looks like a "mountain" in the background... where are you located? Makes me think tropical island sans Caribbean or south pacific someplace...
I'm sure the shade from those trees will help keep the coop and run area a little cooler for the girls
wee.gif
Will you ever be letting them out for yard free range time?

Couple of comments: You may want to tack some "cleats" onto that ramp so it doesn't turn into a "slide" and the girls have something for their little feet to grip when they go up/down... maybe 3" apart. I also don't see any real ventilation in the coop itself... without it, the inside will probably act like an oven in that tropical sun... Do you get tropical rains there? if so, aren't you concerned with leakage into the nest box area? It looks like a piano hinge on the top access. Perhaps you can extend the coop roof out some to help deflect some of the rain?

I see you've used chicken wire, and some will point out that you really should use hardware cloth (aproned out to prevent diggers), but if my guess on your location is correct, I'm sure it will deter your most likely predator threats (rats/cats). It also looks like the bottom of the enclosure is mounted on a solid foundation so digging predators shouldn't be an issue either.

Last edited:
No greenery. Wind all the time. Middle if the US prairie lands. About an hour nw of lincoln ne.

Looks like a FINE place to plant some wind break trees!

I am guessing you are not very fond of OSB..(hence bad word here). Thanks for the input. I will take all of that under advisement.
I can pick up a but end of a roll of Tyvek off of a job site. A lot of times they just wind up in the dumpster.
Right or wrong I think I will stick to my plan for now. If I have to start over, all I am is losing my time. One of things I am running short on the other is money to spend on this project. ( Cant work in cold/bad weather) I am willing to take the gamble. Some of my chicks are pushing 6 weeks old and are ready for this unfinished coop, And I have a ways to go on it (as you can see) Good weather this weekend maybe I can wrap it up (right or wrong).

As for ventilation, I have a front and side window, and I am putting bird blocks in the rafters, And I plan on putting a 6' x 1' vent above above the window that can opened and closed.
As for interior, I haven't figured out what I want to do with that. I would like to put up something rot proof, obviously. A few years back I picked up some 4x8 sheets of thin fiberglass for a project. But that store is gone now. I'm still pondering my choices on that.
I have plenty of plastic for a vapor barrier.50' x 20' 10 Mil. left over from my greenhouse. So I got that covered.
To bad drywall wouldn't work, I could get a truckload of off fall on any given day. No I am not a drywall hanger,Actually a Mason Tender. But they do just pitch the stuff. ( I wonder how log that would last,Hmmm?)

Guess I wasn't too subtle
wink.png

"If I have to start over, all I am is losing my time."

Well, see, that is the problem since you don't have a lot of time. I'm reminded of a sign on a 3rd level manager's desk:

"There is never enough time to do it right the first time but there is always time to do it over". Presumably an admonishment to not rush things. Extra humorous since this guy was in charge of a project that had a WHOLE lot of "no time to do it right the first time" going on.

You COULD use drywall but you have to seal it so back to the oil based primer. You wouldn't even need to tape it, the chickens won't care.
10 mil plastic - GOOD STUFF!

I do not have a problem with my chickens pooping on the walls. Just make sure the roosts are at least a foot from the wall they are parallel to. Mind you, my coop has totally untreated plywood (no paint, no stain, not PT) on 3 walls and really old painted wood on the back (it was a barn stall in a really old barn). I think if you do as you suggest, putting the 1xs up the wall from floor level, that will keep the material on the floor off the studs and exterior OSB (restraining myself
wink.png
). Plus, I think you could put the 10 mil up on the inside of the studs first and just leave it. I don't think the chickens will go after it, especially if it is stapled up tight. And if you decide later to cover the 10 mil with something, not a problem, no "do over" necessary and no time wasted now.

Nope. Need the view for work. Besides wind breaks cause snow dumps up here. Lol.
Just finished front trim and front roof.

Looks like I might be short half a pack of shingles. Ugh! Back to the restore on Tuesday and back up i'll go. Grumble mumble.

I got my Delaware blues today, 1 roos and 3 hens, they are hard to find, I found a man here in Delaware that raises them, we still have to get the yard fixed so much mud it is a mess, I will not let them out till we get so dirt put in and fill the holes the chickens made, god there are some big ones too.

Back
Top Bottom