post your chicken coop pictures here!

Just finished building this one. It replaced a smaller coop I may keep for chicks... or might sell, haven't decided.

You've had another coop replaced so you've had chickens before. What kind of predators do you get on your property? We're in the suburbs/city and get city raccoons, 'possums, and had to set glue rat traps first time in 3 yrs but there's one snooping around. That's ok, if he snoops around again the glue'll get 'im! The crickets get stuck in the glue overnight and DH has to remove the traps before dawn so the wild birds don't get stuck getting to the crickets! Still better than poison.

You've had another coop replaced so you've had chickens before.  What kind of predators do you get on your property?  We're in the suburbs/city and get city raccoons, 'possums, and had to set glue rat traps first time in 3 yrs but there's one snooping around.  That's ok, if he snoops around again the glue'll get 'im!  The crickets get stuck in the glue overnight and DH has to remove the traps before dawn so the wild birds don't get stuck getting to the crickets!  Still better than poison.

So far nothing of concern. Where we live its mostly predatory birds I have to worry about, but they dont even seem to be a problem. We live right near a huge field that is overpopulated with rabbits and prarie dogs which seem to keep the few coyotes and mass of birds happy. None of my neighbors have ever reported a coon in the area.

I have made sure my fence has no places for dogs or anything to get through and between my wife and I we are almost always home. Luckly we both have jobs we can work out of the house. I even let them run the entire yard most the day.

My smaller coop didnt have any openings besides the door so i wasnt aware of needing to make any. I do leave the windows open when its warm at night. I could easily add some if its a problem in the winter. It only houses 6 chickens, and gets cleaned regularly.

So far nothing of concern. Where we live its mostly predatory birds I have to worry about, but they dont even seem to be a problem. We live right near a huge field that is overpopulated with rabbits and prarie dogs which seem to keep the few coyotes and mass of birds happy. None of my neighbors have ever reported a coon in the area.

I have made sure my fence has no places for dogs or anything to get through and between my wife and I we are almost always home. Luckly we both have jobs we can work out of the house. I even let them run the entire yard most the day.

Oooohhhh.....

Hadn't considered the jack rabbits as a way to satisfy the coyotes and red tail hawks before they reach my coop and run. Been eliminating them in mass for pilfering my green beans.

I understand what everyone is saying, but personally I think it's helpful to get a little critique here and there! Though it can be discouraging to realize that after all the hard work you've put into something there still needs to be some adjustments, I think it's important to recognize what can be made better. Latestarter gave me some good info, even though there's not much I can do other than try to convince my dad of the hardware cloth. I'm new to chickens and have done my research, but still hope to learn as much as I can through experience and help from the BYC community. After all, I just want a safe and comfortable place for my chickens to live long, happy lives. :)

Hey Marissa, I was on a limited budget and able to purchase welded wire from Amazon for half the price then the hardware cloth, in my opinion is overpriced.

I used the welded wire to keep the large predators out and since I had chicken wire ( like you do) I wrap the inside to keep the Chickens secure.

As for advice: everyone has their share of chicken poop, just like opinions, it how use it that makes the difference :p:p

A quarantine coop I just put together this week for a new hen I picked up this week. It actually started out as a pallet table I built for my tractor for when I hand it parked for the winter and was having trouble keeping straw out of the waterer. Simplest solution ended up being that table and elevated everything, and it freed up some floor space as well. Didn't really need it in the tractor when it became mobile again, so I had pulled it out and sat it to the side with the idea of perhaps using it again next winter. But I needed the coop, so used that to build this coop. Its nothing fancy, but it should be solid enough to keep anything from getting into it, and I should be able to use it in the future as well.

A quarantine coop I just put together this week for a new hen I picked up this week. It actually started out as a pallet table I built for my tractor for when I hand it parked for the winter and was having trouble keeping straw out of the waterer. Simplest solution ended up being that table and elevated everything, and it freed up some floor space as well. Didn't really need it in the tractor when it became mobile again, so I had pulled it out and sat it to the side with the idea of perhaps using it again next winter. But I needed the coop, so used that to build this coop. Its nothing fancy, but it should be solid enough to keep anything from getting into it, and I should be able to use it in the future as well.

Most EGGcellent job.... I see your site inspector was giving it the once over.....
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom