post your chicken coop pictures here!

Here is our finished coop! Hubby took a week off work to design, build and complete it! Even added flower boxes for the front to make it look pretty.:) The coop is 10 feet by 5 feet. Small doors on both sides to access the nesting box area. Which now has a shelf splitting the area in half and allowing for more nesting boxes that we now have in there. (not seen in this pic) We also added (since these pics) the construction grade sand as suggested by many and it works great:) Loving our chicken and coop! Already have one laying!

Not even close to finished but it's starting to look like something now. I've been building it little by little when I get a chance ( which isn't often). My 6 birds have been staying in there though

Remodeling my chicken coop little by little.. my main coop is built out of a dog kennel that I had made into a horse stable but sold my horse to get chickens so I made it into a chicken coop...right now I'm working on the back wall and it's going to have an offset nesting box.....right now my nesting box is inside the coop so is taking up a little room...I'm gonna use that nesting box for the next coop I'm going to be building for the birds I'm gonna sell...

This is what I got started today before work...the nesting box opening for the chickens to get in is 1'6" the floor is 1'6" and the back wall is 1' so it has a 6" incline for rain to run off ..And the spacers are going to be placed every 1'2" so there will be three boxes

Last edited:
My setup so far...

My brooder box...sorry it's a bad angle but only picture I got right now...

My breeding pen..which has been remodeled since this picture..

The sides now have black netting for looks and shade..and protection from rain... But underneath the netting is chicken wire is just hard to see in this picture..

Front view...

Also now I have pvc pipe feeders abd those water bottles hanging are my waterers I made with poultry nipples....

At the moment I don't have a picture of my coop to share the only one I got is on Facebook and it's not letting be download it to post here...but I'll add before and after pics tomorrow after I put the new back wall with nesting box

Last edited:
Hello,

I have been lurking on these forums for quite some time now. I have to admit, almost everything my wife and I have learned, was from searching the forums here. I love this website, thanks for all of the help! Now we have established our flock and have a little experience under our belts, thought to share with y'all the fruits of our labor.

Our chicken coop is a two-level, open air design. built by my talented brother-in-law. It has 14 nest boxes, and one long roost. With a separate left and right section for two different groups. I know one group is Cornish Rock, the other are unknown brown chickens that we bought a couple months after brooding the white fatties. The run is secured with chicken wire from top to bottom with blocks of limestone sealing the bottom.

Our duck pond and run is our labor of love. It's approximately 3500 gallons with 1 8000 gph pump creating a small waterfall and a smaller 300gph pump pushing the fountain. Each pump has UV and mechanical filtration. The pond is lined with this fantastic liner made by firestone that carries a crazy-long warranty. The limestone was sourced locally from a quarry. Each one-ton load was hand loaded in and out of the back of my pickup. I put up the 4-foot horse fence by myself, in the rain mostly. We got a small metal shelter for the quackers recently, and they are finally using it when hailstones fall from the sky. We also planted two cherry trees, and two peach trees around the run for some future shade. The feathers and algae are driving me crazy, but I still feel its worth it.

Thanks for all your help!

Hello,

I have been lurking on these forums for quite some time now. I have to admit, almost everything my wife and I have learned, was from searching the forums here. I love this website, thanks for all of the help! Now we have established our flock and have a little experience under our belts, thought to share with y'all the fruits of our labor.

Our chicken coop is a two-level, open air design. built by my talented brother-in-law. It has 14 nest boxes, and one long roost. With a separate left and right section for two different groups. I know one group is Cornish Rock, the other are unknown brown chickens that we bought a couple months after brooding the white fatties. The run is secured with chicken wire from top to bottom with blocks of limestone sealing the bottom.

Our duck pond and run is our labor of love. It's approximately 3500 gallons with 1 8000 gph pump creating a small waterfall and a smaller 300gph pump pushing the fountain. Each pump has UV and mechanical filtration. The pond is lined with this fantastic liner made by firestone that carries a crazy-long warranty. The limestone was sourced locally from a quarry. Each one-ton load was hand loaded in and out of the back of my pickup. I put up the 4-foot horse fence by myself, in the rain mostly. We got a small metal shelter for the quackers recently, and they are finally using it when hailstones fall from the sky. We also planted two cherry trees, and two peach trees around the run for some future shade. The feathers and algae are driving me crazy, but I still feel its worth it.

Thanks for all your help!

Awesome build.... Love the double decker coop. I am in a small part of the Sonoran Desert and am aiming for a similar coop set up...

Blazing sun and organic material are big Algae promoters... If you can do a small pre filter that catches the big floatie stuff like feathers It might help with that.... something like a wicker basket you can pull up and dump the feathers out.... but I think you have the pump size spot on.... If you can find a way to do a bit of shade cloth to reduce the direct sun on the pond it might help with the algae bloom. Unfortunately with ducks you will not get clear water... But what I see is awesome. stocking with some larger fish that nibble on algae may be a help too... something the ducks cant eat...

deb

Back
Top Bottom