post your chicken coop pictures here!

Frame it out with a 2x4 and cut some chicken wire easy! and its will be vented use screws with washers to attach fench if you cant hammer inside there keep food in a mouse proof container in storage

Thanks Zig Man. I'll see what I can come up with. Are metal bins good for mouse proof containers? I know if we attracted more mice my cat would sure be happy, but I don't want a lot of them around. I was thinking with the coop being so large and only having two to three hens (I'm not sure if one is a hen or a roo, I'll have to get rid of it if it's a roo) I needed to make it smaller so in the winter they could heat it better with their body heat. I read (maybe on the thread?) that coons can break through 1/4" plywood which is what I think the coop I bought is made out of. I know there are coons in the general area, and I see foxes a lot so I want to make sure they will be safe. I was thinking about adding some insulation and then using pallet boards over the top to not only make it warmer in the winter, but also give it more protection. We have up -10 or colder for a couple weeks here. Do you think all of that is necessary?

Yes i tyvek everything then cover with ceder fence boards I am also in colorado I have bears I have my coops and runs electrified so nothing can get in at night i got a 8000volt bull fence charger I turn it off when I have groups free rangeing so they dont get shocked also I keep a 120volt light bulb in my coops on those cold nights to keep them from freezing

Yes i tyvek everything then cover with ceder fence boards I am also in colorado I have bears I have my coops and runs electrified so nothing can get in at night i got a 8000volt bull fence charger I turn it off when I have groups free rangeing so they dont get shocked also I keep a 120volt light bulb in my coops on those cold nights to keep them from freezing

Thanks again Zig Man. You have been a lot of help!!!

It wouldn't let me upload them a min ago..

here is a coop i just "threw" together yesterday. it is built out of some heavy duty pallets i picked up at work. gonna put some hardware cloth on the floor and add some wheels to the back legs,it's heavy! other than that so far i've only spent $4.09 on a box of nails building it!

here is a coop i just "threw" together yesterday. it is built out of some heavy duty pallets i picked up at work. gonna put some hardware cloth on the floor and add some wheels to the back legs,it's heavy! other than that so far i've only spent $4.09 on a box of nails building it!
LOL...wish you lived closer, I would get you to 'throw" together a coop for me!!

Started leveling the ground to start on our coop! Chickies are 1 week old so we have a few weeks to work. Was thinking of doing 3x4x4 is that big enough for 6 chickens? I ordered 4 from the hatchery, but since they couldn't guarantee that my Columbian Wyandotte was a pullet they threw in 3 of them hoping that I get a pullet out of the lot. So who knows I may have 3 hens and 3 roos or up to 6 hens. I live in town and can't have roos...so still debating what size I want to build. Also-6 is the limit in town so maybe I should just build for 6??? Any suggestions?
Also-I have a 12x8 dog kennel I plan to use as the run when they're not just free ranging the yard.

Back
Top Bottom