post your chicken coop pictures here!

age=knowledge youth=folly we do thank you for your knowledge it is great to have a site like this to help us newbies.. i did have to take my 2 silkie hens to the vet today she gave them a shot of antibiotic with dewormer in it they seemed to be doing better this evening when i put in the coop for the nite
So glad to hear you have a good vet. One that knows chickens well is worth gold. Our vet advertised for exotic birds when he first opened up but dogs and cats took over his practice. He loves it when we bring in a Silkie - she's a real celebrity in the office.

I got 2 juvenile sisters from a breeder and kept emailing that one didn't grow or eat right. I never suspected a knowledgeable breeder would send me juvies with worms. 2-1/2 weeks later the breeder finally answered my email to worm the chick but the chick was already dead!

I now have my hens on a schedule for worming w/Ivermectin (vet approved the way I use it), lice/mite organic prevention spray, and vitamin E oil (less heavy and greasy than vaseline or olive oil) for leg massages to prevent against scaly mite - very good practice w/ Silkies. They all get a drop ( NOT dropperful ! ) of Poly-Vi-Sol no iron children's vitamins 2-3x/week dropped on the side of their closed break away from nostril, and no more than a drop as high doses of vitamins is harmful to the liver and internal organs. There are chicken vitamins to put in drinking water and some choose that route but I personally like knowing every chicken got a dose as some drink lots of water and some not so much. All chickens are individuals and you start learning their quirks in time. We also use Organic Poultry Protector in the coop crevices as well as directly on the chickens per instructions. Nest box straw is changed almost daily (our girls love to sleep in the boxes at night!)

Chickens require maintenance just like any other pet but there are some people who think they are just dumb chickens - how WRONG! Every pet life is precious. Even my aquarium fish were individuals.

So glad to hear you have a good vet. One that knows chickens well is worth gold. Our vet advertised for exotic birds when he first opened up but dogs and cats took over his practice. He loves it when we bring in a Silkie - she's a real celebrity in the office.

I got 2 juvenile sisters from a breeder and kept emailing that one didn't grow or eat right. I never suspected a knowledgeable breeder would send me juvies with worms. 2-1/2 weeks later the breeder finally answered my email to worm the chick but the chick was already dead!

I now have my hens on a schedule for worming w/Ivermectin (vet approved the way I use it), lice/mite organic prevention spray, and vitamin E oil (less heavy and greasy than vaseline or olive oil) for leg massages to prevent against scaly mite - very good practice w/ Silkies. They all get a drop ( NOT dropperful ! ) of Poly-Vi-Sol no iron children's vitamins 2-3x/week dropped on the side of their closed break away from nostril, and no more than a drop as high doses of vitamins is harmful to the liver and internal organs. There are chicken vitamins to put in drinking water and some choose that route but I personally like knowing every chicken got a dose as some drink lots of water and some not so much. All chickens are individuals and you start learning their quirks in time. We also use Organic Poultry Protector in the coop crevices as well as directly on the chickens per instructions. Nest box straw is changed almost daily (our girls love to sleep in the boxes at night!)

Chickens require maintenance just like any other pet but there are some people who think they are just dumb chickens - how WRONG! Every pet life is precious. Even my aquarium fish were individuals.
i thank you for the advice on maintance ill start getting those supplies and i agree Every pet life is precious i too have fish and 3 dogs 1 cat

We are getting ready to start ours, we are using the Witchita Cabin Coop design modified to fit our space and needs. I am excited and we got to get a move on our girls are getting big fast! It has been inspirational seeing all the pictures of other coops.

We are getting ready to start ours, we are using the Witchita Cabin Coop design modified to fit our space and needs. I am excited and we got to get a move on our girls are getting big fast! It has been inspirational seeing all the pictures of other coops.
good luck with it my coop was an adventurebut had a great time buildng it

Here is my design and coop. Not painted yet but finished. The run will be around it at 3ftx10ft for 4 hens that will also have access to the large yard. Hope you all like. Came up with the design and doors, etc. myself.

looks good
I sure like the looks of this so far.....keep sending pictures...we thrive on pictures!!! LOLOL We all get ideas from each other. I'm sitting on go....waiting on them to get mine started....so are my almost 5 week old little EE !!! I want them out of my house! Right now I have them in a dog "yard" with plywood over the top of them during the days that are decent..otherwise they are in my back bedroom! Ready for them to be out!!!!
barnie.gif

I sure like the looks of this so far.....keep sending pictures...we thrive on pictures!!! LOLOL We all get ideas from each other. I'm sitting on go....waiting on them to get mine started....so are my almost 5 week old little EE !!! I want them out of my house! Right now I have them in a dog "yard" with plywood over the top of them during the days that are decent..otherwise they are in my back bedroom! Ready for them to be out!!!!
barnie.gif
Me, too jtbass2756!! And mine are only 2-1/2 weeks old...yikes! They are growing SO fast I'm going to start looking for some appliance sized boxes so I can rig up a safe, larger brooder box out on the porch. The porch has temporary "winter walls" up still, so the risk of bad breezes shouldn't be a problem. The only problem I'll have is how low the temp gets at night. Here in Central Oregon it's still getting down to between 37-40 at night. So I'm going to "up" the size bulb I'm using here in the house to a 150-watter and keep a close eye on how it does empty before I put them out...

but out they'll go...what a mess in the house!!
yippiechickie.gif
barnie.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom