post your chicken coop pictures here!

Chickens are smarter than you think. Call them whenever you have a special treat like "here chick chick" or make "kissy" sounds with your lips or whatever and when you get their attention sprinkle some wild bird seeds or dry mealworms and they'll start to associate your calls with food. After you get that established as a way to call them, eventually in a week call them again, toss the treat into the tractor and they'll go after it.

With ours we started herding behind them by waving our arms and gently saying "shoo, shoo" till they went into the coop which will always be their "safe" haven. We used to do that everytime the gardener started up the lawnmower and now they hear the machine and automatically meander into the coop on their own so we can close it. Chickens are creatures of habit so whatever method you want to use just associate pleasant treats with herding into the coop. Don't get frustrated. Keep it up every day and they'll get the hang of it. Just don't move fast or chase them and always use treats during the learning process. Sometimes it helps to have a gentle 2nd person to help herd them in the right direction but soon just one person can do it with treats.

Thanks for the tips!

Last edited:

Working progress, corrugated panels and wire are next.

You're welcome! I love people who pamper their girls!

Do they get some free-range time? Chickens are foraging mobile creatures and can get most of their nutrition from just a backyard. They will get very bored and dull w/o that stimulation even if it's only for a few hours. They even love to forage in a light rain to get those tasty earthworms.

If you're concerned about aerial predators, we set up low lean-to's on cinder blocks for our girls to dive under - even found an old dog house at the thrift store. They will use them to dodge the aerial predators if there are 2 or 3 shelters set up around the perimeter of the yard. Our Cooper's Hawk hasn't got one of our girls yet in 3 years and they don't even have a rooster for barnyard alerts! Our jittery APA Ameraucana is so spooky she's usually the one to sound alerts. It's amazing how they understand each other's vocalizations - almost 30 sounds according to the experts.

Can you describe your lean to more? Or pics? I am a first time chicken owner and getting ready for the girls to go out to their new coop soon.. We have 2 hawks that live nearby all summer I see them and a bad @ss looking falcon that visits a lot.. Hard to spot but you def knows it's not a crow lol! Concerned about them.. We have 2 dogs, sheltie and a hound /mix rescue.. We have been showing the dogs the chicks but they appear way too obsessed with them.. (The hound mix is scared if it's own shadow) they look at the chicks like they look at their dog treats or bacon.. Tried to nip at then when in my hands.. Instinctual I guess

Sylvester017,
They DO get some free range time but only when I'm able to be there too watch them. Yes I AM afraid of ANY type predator getting my girls!! We have a large wire pen we put them in so they cannot have free run of the entire yard, yet are STILL able to peck around in the grass and dirt. Our yard, though huge is covered with landscaping, a pool, a large deck my husband built, etc. So I feel better having them confined where I can control what they have access to in the yard. I'm scared perhaps one of our plants for example could be harmful to them?? I also let them run around the entire lanai every morning before I give them their daily treat of some leftovers!! They LOVE rice and macaroni and cheese!! Lol I give them bread as well. This morning I gave them two slices of bread "whole" instead of cutting it up, thus they had a little fun pecking away at it together!! I truly am crazy about my girls!! Never having had chickens before, I have a lot to learn still!! I NEVER knew they'd be SO much fun!!

There is a lovely book either at Barnes & Noble or Amazon called "Free-Range Chicken Gardens: How to Create a Beautiful Chicken Friendly Yard" that has been more helpful to me than Storey's Guide on Raising Chickens 3rd Edition although that book is a convenient reference. The Garden one is more useful to me regarding safe vs toxic plants for free-range chickens because I garden veggies for them and need to know what veggie or parts of a veggies is toxic for them. I was happy to find I had no toxic trees, bushes, plants, or flowers that were harmful but had to keep them from the leaves of tomato plants. A very worthwhile investment IMO - not expensive in paperback and probably there's a download version from B & N.

Chickens love space but they love foraging much more because it is their nature. A pen is nice for confinement when you're away from home. A tractor is one way to move them around the yard but not one of those tiny ones - same problem about space and mobility for the chicken. A longer tractor run or one that is moved every couple hours is best. Just like we as humans go stir-crazy confined in a house 24/7 and like to go out for dinner or a day at the beach, so do chickens. Time goes faster with chickens so one day to us is like 3 days to them in a confined space - dull. That's why the sweeties get so excited when they see us for something different and some new thing to do.

There are many wonderful internet websites with info about diet, health, toxic vs safe treats (i.e. sunflower seeds are ok in fall and winter but not good for their liver fat in spring and summer - who knew? or that too much bread can cause diarrhea or that cooked brown rice is good as diarrhea food? or that cucumbers have an ingredient that works like an anti-inflammatory good for laying hens? etc). Just type in a 2 or 3 word search in Google or any Search engine and peruse those great informative topics of interest to you. Of course BYC is my first choice to peruse but not my only source.

Wow that's great information.. thank you. I'm SO sorry but I have no idea what you meant by a "tractor"?? We live in a housing subdivision in the middle of the suburbs so that type thing is like Chinese to me. I take them out to this enclosed pen in the morning or afternoon.. and they peck around at the grass, dirt, rocks, etc. We are looking into getting a canopy or something of that nature that will protect them from any aerial predators and thus then I can let them stay out most of the day and can keep an eye on them from the window as well as I will be in and out checking on them. I think that'll give them the best of both worlds. I just want them to be safe but happy and content chickens!! So I'm working hard to reach that goal. Oh and btw I made the cutest little video of them..and am going to try to embed it in here somewhere as I'd LOVE to share it. I hope I can get it to work.. I'm not the most "tech savvy" person that's for sure!! Lol I would love for you to see it though.. thanks again and it is a pleasure chatting here with you!! I'm in Riverview, Florida btw.. where are you??

Can you describe your lean to more? Or pics? I am a first time chicken owner and getting ready for the girls to go out to their new coop soon.. We have 2 hawks that live nearby all summer I see them and a bad @ss looking falcon that visits a lot.. Hard to spot but you def knows it's not a crow lol! Concerned about them.. We have 2 dogs, sheltie and a hound /mix rescue.. We have been showing the dogs the chicks but they appear way too obsessed with them.. (The hound mix is scared if it's own shadow) they look at the chicks like they look at their dog treats or bacon.. Tried to nip at then when in my hands.. Instinctual I guess

Our lean-to's are not fancy but protective. A long plank of flat board 6 to 8 feet long by 1-1/2 to 2 feet wide. Hardware stores will cut a 4x8 plywood panel in half for you giving you two shelters. We prop the plywood plank on cinder blocks positioned under each end of the plank. We use 2 stacked cinderblocks at one end and 2 stacked cinderblocks at the other end - or 6 square stepping stones per side. That's all. 2 or 3 of these go around the perimeter of the yard and/or against a building where chickens seem to like to gather for their afternoon snoozes. We had a leftover long plank of closet shelving that we salvaged and a small damaged bookshelf to use as shelters. We have a lot of wind so to keep the planks from sailing off the cinderblock bases we anchor with a brick or stepping stone at each top end of the plank (so the stones/bricks don't sag the plank in the middle). Of course we have a recycled dog house from the thrift store that was still in great condition that our Silkies like to hang out in - I'm looking at 4 chickens right now using one of the shelters and the dog house (afternoon siesta LOL). I plan to set up a large shelter in the middle of the open section of yard for them also - this one will have to be a bit more decorative being center view. Chickens will always cruise the yard not just to forage but they're checking out good future hiding places and bushes at the same time. The key is to have several scattered hiding areas around the yard. They will use low benches and tables for hiding too if they are positioned up against a wall, fence, or row of plants. My girls liked to snooze under a large stickery climbing rose bush that finally died after 25 years. I'll have to get another one after I figure where to plant it.

To keep mine out of the garden beds I use a 50' roll of 2 feet high green rabbit fencing to keep them out of digging there. A couple times when new they tried to fly into the area but I promptly but gently showed them out of the area and they respect the barrier now even though they can easily fly back in. You may want to use a 3 feet or 4 feet tall rabbit fencing to keep your birds from going way back into the property and just contain them within your view. To secure the fencing there are green stakes that will anchor the fencing and easily remove if you need to move the fence later.

As for dogs we decided not to invest in one. The hens are so adept at keeping themselves hidden in the free-range backyard for 3 years that we didn't find it necessary. Too expensive for vet bills, yearly licensing & vaccinations, training, food, housing, etc. Anyway, our spooky kooky Ameraucana is our barnyard alert and she chases stray cats out of the yard. She used to chase the wild birds too but has come to accept them as ok. We have a wildbird feeder that the Cooper's Hawk likes to frequent for easier prey than our chickens. We don't hatch chicks so there is no temptation for little chickie prey.

For dogs it's best to introduce puppies to chickens rather than the other way around. From puppies it is much easier to keep them around poultry and accept the birds as part of the "pack". Unless a particularly clever adult dog is easily trained they usually eye the birds as something to chase or down for sport. Stress is not good for laying hens or any hens for that matter LOL My friend has an incredibly intelligent little purebred dog that is protective of the flock but one incredibly stupid mixed breed that wants to dig into the chicken pen. I gently warned her that one day she will come outside to find her laying flock scared, injured, or dead but it's up to her to choose her action. You can't take unruly children to a dog pound but you can always send a dog back to one - sounds harsh? Not when the peace of my household is at stake - people re-home unruly bully chickens so why not re-home an unruly dog? As one wonderful BYCer said - read, read, read, research, research, research to gain knowledge about chicken behavior, housing, health, feed, treats, etc. I'm sure there is some info on training adult dogs around chickens as well. My daughter had to finally re-home an unruly shepherd mix after 6 months of expensive training in the $1000's - just one of many reasons I'm not a fan of mixed breeds. With purebreeds you can almost count on specific traits where it's not so easy with a mixed breed. That goes with chickens for me too. These are just my preferences and I'm sure there are many that will agree as much as disagree LOL.

Wow didn't mean to write a novel. Good luck with your girls! Chickens have been my most favorite pets up-to-date and we've had dogs, cats, budgies, cockatiels, parrots, ducks, geese, goats, cattle, horses, sheep, tortoises, and even a boa snake! Never had rodents like rabbits, guineas, rats or mice so can't speak about them.

Cheers!

Wow that's great information.. thank you. I'm SO sorry but I have no idea what you meant by a "tractor"?? We live in a housing subdivision in the middle of the suburbs so that type thing is like Chinese to me. I take them out to this enclosed pen in the morning or afternoon.. and they peck around at the grass, dirt, rocks, etc. We are looking into getting a canopy or something of that nature that will protect them from any aerial predators and thus then I can let them stay out most of the day and can keep an eye on them from the window as well as I will be in and out checking on them. I think that'll give them the best of both worlds. I just want them to be safe but happy and content chickens!! So I'm working hard to reach that goal. Oh and btw I made the cutest little video of them..and am going to try to embed it in here somewhere as I'd LOVE to share it. I hope I can get it to work.. I'm not the most "tech savvy" person that's for sure!! Lol I would love for you to see it though.. thanks again and it is a pleasure chatting here with you!! I'm in Riverview, Florida btw.. where are you??

A tractor or mobile coop is usually a smaller coop on two wheels that you can lift up by handles at one end and gently roll around the grass while the chickens are still in it. Some look like little coops on wheels while some look like little triangle huts that takes 2 people to lift and move - all have at least one nestbox for hens to lay their egg.

Our girls like the canopy for shade but it still is not low enough to the ground for aerial predator safety so much as the lean-to's are. We are hot so the canopies are more for protection from the sun. Watching chickens from a window or our sliding door doesn't mean we'd be quick enough to stop a hawk attack is why we use so many shelters for the girls to be predator savvy themselves. Smart girls if we owners are just as smart to give them that protective option.

Yes, as you noted, I am in So CA where it is usually dry and hot for most of the year. We only get about 3 months of cool, rainy, or frost weather. Twice in 26 years we got a fast melting snow on our city block because we are close to a mountain range. During summer or over 90's we set up the backyard with an Orbit Mister and the girls often forage under the spray under the canopy.

I'm retired and not at all technologically savvy. My DH has to help with my photo posts. I can maneuver the web but when it comes to understanding all the symbols and signs he has to help me.

Working progress, corrugated panels and wire are next.

How nice to have space for those foraging, mobile creatures we all know and love as "chickens". Only cold or inclement weather and laying eggs or roosting for the night is all the coop will be used for. Most of the day is fun scratching, foraging, and moving around. Lovely setup.

Our lean-to's are not fancy but protective. A long plank of flat board 6 to 8 feet long by 1-1/2 to 2 feet wide. Hardware stores will cut a 4x8 plywood panel in half for you giving you two shelters. We prop the plywood plank on cinder blocks positioned under each end of the plank. We use 2 stacked cinderblocks at one end and 2 stacked cinderblocks at the other end - or 6 square stepping stones per side. That's all. 2 or 3 of these go around the perimeter of the yard and/or against a building where chickens seem to like to gather for their afternoon snoozes. We had a leftover long plank of closet shelving that we salvaged and a small damaged bookshelf to use as shelters. We have a lot of wind so to keep the planks from sailing off the cinderblock bases we anchor with a brick or stepping stone at each top end of the plank (so the stones/bricks don't sag the plank in the middle). Of course we have a recycled dog house from the thrift store that was still in great condition that our Silkies like to hang out in - I'm looking at 4 chickens right now using one of the shelters and the dog house (afternoon siesta LOL). I plan to set up a large shelter in the middle of the open section of yard for them also - this one will have to be a bit more decorative being center view. Chickens will always cruise the yard not just to forage but they're checking out good future hiding places and bushes at the same time. The key is to have several scattered hiding areas around the yard. They will use low benches and tables for hiding too if they are positioned up against a wall, fence, or row of plants. My girls liked to snooze under a large stickery climbing rose bush that finally died after 25 years. I'll have to get another one after I figure where to plant it.

To keep mine out of the garden beds I use a 50' roll of 2 feet high green rabbit fencing to keep them out of digging there. A couple times when new they tried to fly into the area but I promptly but gently showed them out of the area and they respect the barrier now even though they can easily fly back in. You may want to use a 3 feet or 4 feet tall rabbit fencing to keep your birds from going way back into the property and just contain them within your view. To secure the fencing there are green stakes that will anchor the fencing and easily remove if you need to move the fence later.

As for dogs we decided not to invest in one. The hens are so adept at keeping themselves hidden in the free-range backyard for 3 years that we didn't find it necessary. Too expensive for vet bills, yearly licensing & vaccinations, training, food, housing, etc. Anyway, our spooky kooky Ameraucana is our barnyard alert and she chases stray cats out of the yard. She used to chase the wild birds too but has come to accept them as ok. We have a wildbird feeder that the Cooper's Hawk likes to frequent for easier prey than our chickens. We don't hatch chicks so there is no temptation for little chickie prey.

For dogs it's best to introduce puppies to chickens rather than the other way around. From puppies it is much easier to keep them around poultry and accept the birds as part of the "pack". Unless a particularly clever adult dog is easily trained they usually eye the birds as something to chase or down for sport. Stress is not good for laying hens or any hens for that matter LOL My friend has an incredibly intelligent little purebred dog that is protective of the flock but one incredibly stupid mixed breed that wants to dig into the chicken pen. I gently warned her that one day she will come outside to find her laying flock scared, injured, or dead but it's up to her to choose her action. You can't take unruly children to a dog pound but you can always send a dog back to one - sounds harsh? Not when the peace of my household is at stake - people re-home unruly bully chickens so why not re-home an unruly dog? As one wonderful BYCer said - read, read, read, research, research, research to gain knowledge about chicken behavior, housing, health, feed, treats, etc. I'm sure there is some info on training adult dogs around chickens as well. My daughter had to finally re-home an unruly shepherd mix after 6 months of expensive training in the $1000's - just one of many reasons I'm not a fan of mixed breeds. With purebreeds you can almost count on specific traits where it's not so easy with a mixed breed. That goes with chickens for me too. These are just my preferences and I'm sure there are many that will agree as much as disagree LOL.

Wow didn't mean to write a novel. Good luck with your girls! Chickens have been my most favorite pets up-to-date and we've had dogs, cats, budgies, cockatiels, parrots, ducks, geese, goats, cattle, horses, sheep, tortoises, and even a boa snake! Never had rodents like rabbits, guineas, rats or mice so can't speak about them.

Cheers!
maybe you should write a book about chickens you are very knowledgledgeable about them

Back
Top Bottom