post your chicken coop pictures here!

Love the dog. Is he/she an outdoor night watchman too or indoors at night? He/she would make a good match for day/night predators.

Raccoons, opossums, stray cats, rats, even hungry mischievous stray dogs are night predators and are never where you can see them and roosting hens will be too sleepy to notice anything to sound an alarm before it's too late.

We didn't have Raccoons noticed in our city neighborhood until about 15 years living here when we happened to catch one scurrying down a sidewalk storm drain before our car almost hit it at about 2 a.m. Thing was as big as a goat!  Ask around your neighbors what they've seen in their yards or streets at various times of the day/night. We talked to about 6 neighbors before someone actually confirmed info about seeing raccoons. We've seen dead opossums hit by cars occasionally on our suburban city street. A lot of birds of prey, skunks, opossums, and rodent-type animals live in the brush or trees along freeways, highways, and parks and many don't come out until dark. You'll never see them coming. Talk it up with your neighbors. That's how I discovered there was a resident Cooper's Hawk in the neighborhood and why we set up numerous low lean-to's for our free-range yard chickens.

Ah she comes in at night. Hoping her scent keeps the raccoons away. But if not, they get locked up tight at night, and I even put a brick in front of their coop door. :)

I am very new to this. Two adult girls Laverne and Shirley

that we were gift last Friday and then 8 baby chicks we now have for 10 days. Of course the big girls are outside in the run and coup and the babies in the house.
Our coup was already here attached to the barn and about 12 by 12 inside. We have added two perches from tree branches at different heights and today leaned
an old wooden ladder to the lower one. They seem to love that. Have a dirt bath outside made out of a big plastic barrel cut in half. Water and food inside hanging
from the ceiling and 10 boxes attached to the wall with straw for egg laying. So far 9 eggs starting Saturday afternoon. So hopefully I am doing okay. I am worried
sick over everyone and go out and sit by the big girls a few times a day (they are very tame) and just talk to them and they talk back. My son works for Chobani
Yogurt and gets all the free yogurt we can eat. Should I give them a bit each day or is that too much? Can I give some to the 10 day old babies too and if so
how often. I am In LOVE!!
welcome-byc.gif
. Looks like you have it going on. So cute.

I have a camper made into a coop and m waiting for a second one, then we will make a 2nd yard as we have all age peeps one group is 13wks, then 7wks now we have the new ones in house just peeping as I type, also have 19 hens and 2roos in coop

Judy,

Here are a few more images of the coop in progress. I will take some more in a few weeks for you (we are moving and the coop is currently in pieces).

As far as materials go, I was fortunate to have a friend who was tearing down his cedar privacy fence. All of the materials are re-purposed from his fence. I used the 2x4's and fence pickets to build this entire coop. The only items I purchased was door hardware, wire mesh and the metal roofing. Knowing I was moving, I made it modular; the four walls were built independently of one another, as is the 2nd level floor, wall, nesting box and roosting dowels. Not everything is shown in these photos, but like I said, I will post more once I get moved and have my chickens in there enjying life.
Coop dimensions are 4' x 8 and 4' high at the low end, 6' at the high end.

I will have a small enclosed run attached to the front of the coop down the road that will be 8' x 8'. As of now the coop is approximately 96 SF. I have (6) Chickens.

All the best,
Burnsey

Judy,

Here are a few more images of the coop in progress. I will take some more in a few weeks for you (we are moving and the coop is currently in pieces).

As far as materials go, I was fortunate to have a friend who was tearing down his cedar privacy fence. All of the materials are re-purposed from his fence. I used the 2x4's and fence pickets to build this entire coop. The only items I purchased was door hardware, wire mesh and the metal roofing. Knowing I was moving, I made it modular; the four walls were built independently of one another, as is the 2nd level floor, wall, nesting box and roosting dowels. Not everything is shown in these photos, but like I said, I will post more once I get moved and have my chickens in there enjying life.
Coop dimensions are 4' x 8 and 4' high at the low end, 6' at the high end.

I will have a small enclosed run attached to the front of the coop down the road that will be 8' x 8'. As of now the coop is approximately 96 SF. I have (6) Chickens.

All the best,
Burnsey
That is the cutest and I'm in awe with your recycling ability. Did you use a planner? The color in the boards are so stunning... I love your layout is great also. I would get the run done as soon as possible unless you are going to let them free range. Don't want them to get into pecking due to not enough room. Small space is great when the weather is bad or at night when they go to roost. If its cold..they need the smaller space to cuddle together for warmth.. It sure looks safe from predators! and very importantly....easily accessible for cleaning... I love it...love it ...love it.! But WOW what a lot of work went into this!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the complements! I'm in Colorado, and it's still chilly here so the girls will hopefully be fine with the smaller space for a few weeks to stay warm. I did not use a planner, however I'm an Architect by trade, one of the few who can actually swing a hammer
smile.png
. The colors are fairly natural from the old cedar fencing. I bought a few different color stains to accent the natural look and match some colors on my house. I built the coop in two (4) hour days...or so. It's a very simple design really. Only two screws in each corner hold the whole thing together. Upper floor, wall and all accessories are set-in-place and can be lifted out for cleaning. I wish it was not currently in pieces so I could do a small "how to" on this build. I think once I move in a few weeks and set her back up, that I'll take some good photos and write-up a DIY for those interested.

Thanks again for the input! And thank you to all of those who've posted their coops previously. I did a TON of research looking at your photos to get ideas!

Cheers!
Burnsey

Just picked this up off of craigslist. New family Chicken adventure begins. Going to give it a new paint job and a few additions. Can't wait to get he Hens!!

Back
Top Bottom