post your chicken coop pictures here!

OMG! That is awesome!! LOL!
welcome-byc.gif
Glad to have your.

Thank you. I'm not the handiest person, but I'm not totally inept. I just never spent much time, honing any skills. I've "been in the mood" to build something, for several weeks now. As we start moving towards raising our own meat birds, I have many more projects, that will help fulfill that desire.
I am so grateful, for a wife, who really not understands the advantage of, but really values good power tools. We'll be in a pawn shop, and she'll pick up a nail gun, and ask, "do we need one of these?" She's great about buying things we need, and has a vision for things which might be needed in the future.
When we lived in the city, and had a postage stamp yard (about 12'x20'), and needed a lawn mower, she tried to convince me to get a John Deere riding mower. I couldn't see myself using one, on that small of a yard. Now, we have acreage, and had to go buy one, and of course, that John Deere rider, would have been much nicer and better, than the 15 year old Troy Bilt mower I bought, when we moved here.
I need to listen to my wife more.....but don't tell her that!

It's great to teach kids to use tools at an early age, it's a skill they'll benefit from later on, and develops their dexterity. I had the neighbor's kids helping me with the coop all the time, the father was looking a bit horrified when I let their 9 year old son use a pneumatic framing nailgun, but it went fine. I never imagined a six and nine year old could actually be helpful, but they were.

Probably safer than a framing hammer and nails! You have to press the pneumatic nailer against the surface so unless you are in a darn big hurry you have a hard time hitting anything but what you intend to hit. Now with the traditional hammer and nail method, well let's just say I've never met anyone who has used that method and hadn't blackend a thumbnail or mashed a finger at least a bit.

Sweet!

My DGD has worked non stop (every moment I could) helping with everything from using the drill, hammer, nails, etc. She will be going home tomorrow but we had to go out to try out a new "curtain look". I had to laugh but now I will need to cut up some more strips to make it fuller. Thought I had enough to work with but I will need some more ...got to get the ends trimmed out even but hoping to keep the new ones from sleeping in the boxes. Had them blocked off but DGD thought these would work and be prettier!!

Probably safer than a framing hammer and nails! You have to press the pneumatic nailer against the surface so unless you are in a darn big hurry you have a hard time hitting anything but what you intend to hit. Now with the traditional hammer and nail method, well let's just say I've never met anyone who has used that method and hadn't blackend a thumbnail or mashed a finger at least a bit.

Sweet!

Hey......
post #4573

big_smile.png

Fabulous coop. Since you free range your flock give them a few scattered shelters for daytime snoozing or hiding from aerial predators. The trees will provide shade but also provide Hawks a vantage to watch your hens before swooping down on one. Have some doghouses, benches, plywood planks on cinderblocks, rose bushes or thorny evergreen shrubbery scattered around the open field so a hen doesn't have to run far to hide. A running hen in an open field is an invitation to a hawk. Our Cooper's Hawk visits once in a while but we have so much in the way of popup canopies, doghouses, low shelters, and shrubbery that he can be 5 feet away from a hiding hen but won't go after her - darnedest thing I ever saw. He seldom comes around any more. I think the neighborhood Crows have ganged up on him to keep him away. I didn't used to like Crows but they actually are quite useful here in the city - I wouldn't trust them to stay away from baby chicks however. I've seen them go after ducklings.

Back
Top Bottom