post your chicken coop pictures here!

Well I'm off to do some chicken shopping ... The local Tractor Supply Comp. Has a sale this weekend on all layer feed, feeders, waters, supplements, chicken toys... Time to stock up on a few 50lb bags of feed for less than $15. Each lol... Have fun with your birds today. I hope to post pictures of my babies outside in the coop and (cross your fingers), some of the new framework for the bigger one ...

that is my design for next build amd should hold 50+ chickens. It shoi of go underway next summer, when i get my show stock going.

I just clipped our birds wings (RIGHT ONES ONLY) for the fourth time. It's amazing how fast they grow back!

Quote:
We rescured a White Leghorn 3 years ago and were warned that because Legs are lightweight and nervous in nature that they were flighty and I hastily clipped our Leg's outer flight feathers. But she was never flighty nor ever wanted to fly out of the yard - are you kidding? - she wanted to stick around where the food and treats were! LOL I never clipped her wings again after new moult feathers came in and never again clipped any other successive breed added to the flock. New birds take their cue from the flock so if the flock doesn't fly out of the yard then they won't either - plus we provide a lot of shelters like doghouses, popup canopies, rose bushes, plywood planks raised on cinderblocks, for a multitude of hiding places for our open yard girls that they don't need to fly away for escape. They hide under all the shelters for their midday snoozes. Not having enough shelters in an open area is what causes a frightened hen to fly or "go over the wall" so-to-speak. Some jittery wilder temperament birds like Jaerhon, Lakenvelder, Fayoumi, Brakels, Gull-type breeds (like Campine or Friesian), etc, are usually difficult to confine in open areas and look for the highest vantage points - usually trees. However the more common layer breeds like Legs, BOs, RIRs, NHRs, BRs, etc, are not necessary to clip. They will stay in a confined yard especially if there are scattered shelters and always access to feed/water and occasional treats. All our neighbors have cut down their old trees so there's no temptation for our flock to roost in trees.

A couple years later we ordered two jittery jumpy kooky spooky klutzy APA Ameraucanas who as juveniles could fly long distances. And I was worried to lose expensive rare birds and contacted the breeder about clipping their wings because I really didn't want to mar their appearance or have them escape either. The breeder said they wouldn't clip the wings and it was for predator safety to be able to fly out of harm's way. Well we didn't clip those rare birds' wings and though they continued to flap, fly, or jump over into my raised garden bed, at maturity they settled down and knew where THEIR territory was to stay. Never lost any breed, adult or juvenile, to flight out of the yard or over the wall. Now these were all LF breeds. If I had flighty jittery bantams I might consider clipping wings since those little buggers want to fly high up into trees and over walls if there is not netting over their open pens. This is why we settled on flight-limited Silkies as our free range bantam breed - wing clipping was unnecessary.

Everyone who clips wings believes it is for a good reason or for fear their birds will fly away. May I ask why you all clipped your chickens' wings?

Last edited:
Very pretty.

Question - is the hardwire buried in the ground for predator proofing? Otherwise a paver stone walkway all around the base of the pen would be advisable.

And invest in a good umbrella for rainy days when raising the lid on the nestbox or add an awning over the nestbox. Damp bedding will be a health hazard. Collecting eggs from a nestbox isn't always convenient to wait until the rain stops. We had a hen that would've been an egg eater if we didn't collect eggs immediately every morning rain or shine.

A couple more cement stones to connect with your home sidewalk will help during rain.

A drop-down ventilation lid in one of the walls with hardwire screen is advisable for when temps or humidity gets really high. We had 100% humidity in a heatwave - flukey weather for our area - and had to open up the coop because the chickens were so miserable during the night. We took turns sitting by the sliding door watching the coop all through the night with all the doors and nestboxes open and still had to bring one chicken inside she was panting in such distress.

Other than some minor safety adjustments your coop is absolutely eye-appealing. If it were my property I would be so tempted to give the hens free range with all that lovely foliage to hide/snooze under LOL! Just gorgeous!

I agree with Sylvester017

I live in the suburbs and while the side fences are a pretty good height, the back fence is probably only 4ft.

When I brought home my first two bantams, I clipped one of their wings as I was worried that they may jump over the back fence. That was 18 months ago and sadly, while I lost one of them to an infection, the original bantam cochin is now matriarch of my small flock. I have never had to clip her wing since or any of the others that have either hatched here or been brought in as youngsters. None of them have been the slightest bit interested in leaving home and as Sylvester017 mentioned; why would they? They live in luxury
wink.png
If they sense danger they either run back to the coop/run or under one of the abundant pot plants I have in the garden.

I also believe that the cue is taken from the flock.

[PS. Because I am always wary of stray dogs or cats and aerial predators, my girls free-range is always supervised and they are never outside of the run without myself or hubby present. This is also a wonderful excuse for spending many happy hours in the garden with the girls
love.gif
]

that is my design for next build amd should hold 50+ chickens. It shoi of go underway next summer, when i get my show stock going.

Can't tell what the dimensions are but I would cut the 50+ down to 25+ because chickens if confined in that space will get really smelly no matter what deodorizer you use. If they are free ranging then that would be healthier and then you can think about more chicken math.

Lovely coop design and ambitious!

Can't tell what the dimensions are but I would cut the 50+ down to 25+ because chickens if confined in that space will get really smelly no matter what deodorizer you use.  If they are free ranging then that would be healthier and then you can think about more chicken math. 

Lovely coop design and ambitious!
the dimensions of tje individual coops are 10x10, and each run os 10x15-20 depends on material cost, this space will be more than efficient for 25 in each coop, ( note: there are 2) there will 2 industrial sized fans fpr good air circulation not to mention 5 open but covered windows per coop, if smell is an issue, then its because there is a metric ton of poop, and i need to get off my lazy butt and clean it, but i dont see that ever happening. I thank you fo r ypu input, that is a good factor to consider, one that i took deep thought on when drawing these blueprints.

Back
Top Bottom