post your chicken coop pictures here!

:frow [COLOR=800080]Hope you didn't loose any ladies !!   I had a coyote pack visit me back in the summer..lost 9 !  Broke my heart..Make sure your run (if you have a run) is Ft.Knox predator safe as well as the coop..You have to think like a predator....get down on their level..    With pitbulls, I might would put an electric wire around the base or about a foot up, or their noses/paws....light them up and you will hear them yelp!![/COLOR]:lau
So sorry to hear about your loss, I would be heartbroken too. Luckily the day the pitbulls came through I had a feeling that morning not to let my girls free range until later that day. Within an hour I had the 2 pitbulls on my front porch, I found the owner who lives several miles away. Those dogs were the sweetest I have ever met and I have 2 dogs of my own! I am no fool though, I have no misconceptions about what they would do to my chickens. I know we have coyotes near us, we can sometimes hear them howling at night. I am pretty sure I saw a bobcat one night also. We are working on beefing up our run now that the coop is finished.

We have a small steam about an acre away behind our house with a good tree line beside it. We have all kinds of varmits coming thru following it. Just killed a good size racoon the other night that was acting too friendly and just this am I saw a groundhog that was every bit as big as the racoon! LOL. Doesn't count all the normal kinds of wildlife!

My husband works at a autobody repair shop and got them there but you can go to any local spray in bedliner dealer and get them.

My husband works at a autobody repair shop and got them there but you can go to any local spray in bedliner dealer and get them.

We have a small steam about an acre away behind our house with a good tree line beside it. We have all kinds of varmits coming thru following it. Just killed a good size racoon the other night that was acting too friendly and just this am I saw a groundhog that was every bit as big as the racoon! LOL. Doesn't count all the normal kinds of wildlife!
We have a creek running the length of our property, it's like a deer super highway. We have skunks, raccoons, groundhogs, owls, hawks, porcupines and a few years ago we had a huge black bear hanging around but he hasn't been seen for a couple of years. I hate raccoons, I have someone who is supposed to come coon hunting and trapping, hopefully he does it soon.

We have a creek running the length of our property, it's like a deer super highway. We have skunks, raccoons, groundhogs, owls, hawks, porcupines and a few years ago we had a huge black bear hanging around but he hasn't been seen for a couple of years. I hate raccoons, I have someone who is supposed to come coon hunting and trapping, hopefully he does it soon.
frow.gif
That's exactly what this is...an animal supper highway!!
barnie.gif
We always have deer passing thru and have seen all of those things except the porcupines and black bear. Been told we have them! Just never seen them...yet. If I do, I would have some serious upgrading with electric current....or they would close down my chicken coop. I thought I would get my run fencing finished today with my dh's help. He meant well but it has had a heat index of 100 today! With the bugs and gnats crawling in every orifice that's not completely covered!!
he.gif
I'll go out and try to get some thing done in the am! I hate the raccoons also...they can get into anything!

unfortunately for our chickens there are 2 loose pitbulls that came to visit last week so they are going to be locked in the coop until further notice. I guess it was all perfect timing!

God how I hate irresponsible dog owners. It's bad enough fighting off the wildlife from our premises but irresponsbile selfish individuals are too d*#n lazy to keep their mutts confined! My DD and SIL have a rescue Pitbull mix who doesn't get along well with even another dog and loves killing critters that get into their yard yet she's sweet with humans. However my DD has a double gate at both sides of her property to make sure their Pit never gets outs. We have since put two gates on both sides of our property to keep out irresponsible neighbors' stray mutts. First year we had chickens for only a couple months when two stray mutts (one a German Shepherd) actually broke down our gate to get at our coop. Thank goodness we had paver stones walkway all around the base of the coop so they couldn't dig under and a good neighbor chased off the mutts. Gave the chickens a good scare though! Since that experience we've been putting $$$ into being secure secure secure and worry about making everything pretty later.

Syl, to get the chickens to use the "ramp" I sprinkled scratch the full length of the ramp.... they followed the scratch up and down the ramp... add some scratch when they are on the roost...

What's strange is that my girls used the new wider ramp when we first replaced the previous narrower ramp. But after a couple weeks they went back to flying or jumping up. Hey, whatever floats their boat is ok with me! I like to keep it there for the occasional times one or two girls will use it - arthritis eventually gets all of us LOL.

Back
Top Bottom