post your chicken coop pictures here!

We sent our sub zero cold out east for a bit and made it to 42* today, so I put in another 8 hours on the coop. I managed to trim out 3 windows, inside and out. I got the roof on, not the shingles, but the ply and tar felt, and drip edge. And the door is up, crooked, but I'll fix that next warm day.  And the upper giant windows

Phew. Worn out!

Last edited:
I'm thinking of building a coop similar to yours, did you build from scratch or did you use a plan? Did you use anything more on the floor other than ground, such as predator proof wire? What are your dimensions and how many chickens can you accommodate? What kind of cost should I anticipate. I will be building this spring, in Dutchess County NY. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I'm thinking of building a coop similar to yours, did you build from scratch or did you use a plan?  Did you use anything more on the floor other than ground, such as predator proof wire?  What are your dimensions and how many chickens can you accommodate?  What kind of cost should I anticipate.  I will be building this spring, in Dutchess County NY.  Any advise would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks
me?

Okay so far we have the front coop spit into two paddocks will split it into a third soon. In the back we have one finished and over halfway on the second section. The second and third section will be done about the same time. Then last but not least the paddock for the pheasants and quail. After that we should be done.

Here are some of my designs. The Knotty Bird Co

I've been watching your website with interest for a while. Your coops are lovely. You've even made some with pickup truck dimensions for easy transport. Because of Raccoon and 'Possum predators in our urban neighborhood we decided to go with thick dog kennel walls and metal coop/run roofs on our newest coop rather than 1/2" hardwire walls. Your little red coop would fit nicely inside a dog kennel run like Cove Products has but for us it would've been double expense to do so. Your designs are really nice and well thought out! It's nice that you're in SoCal and to have you posting on BYC!

Has anyone had any experience with battery operated chicken door openers? We don't want to run electricity in pipes to the coop, plus we don't feel comfortable running any cords/wires to the coop, so we looked into the battery type openers. We don't trust any type of automatic door openers so want something to use while we're home to keep an eye on its daily function - if it works to give us a couuple extra hours of sleep in the morning we want to try it. Can someone share their experiences or look at the following timer and give me feedback or recommend another brand:
http://www.backyardchickencoops.com.au/coop-accessories/automatic-chicken-door-opener/
TY

Does it also ring the bells when the door opens?
wink.png

I wish they had more info on how it works, I see NOTHING that I can use to figure that out. In any case, the only battery operated chicken door opener I have experience with is my PulletShut. I didn't buy their rechargeable battery pack since I had no electricity in the coop May 2 years ago when I put it in and wasn't sure if a west facing solar panel would be enough to charge it. I now suspect it would given the pair of 6V lantern batteries wired in series to get 12V I am using instead last a really long time. The first set were used and lasted about 6 months, replaced with the other 2 from the fluorescent tube "lantern". I figured after 6 months they would likely be pushing dead so I bought 2 new ones. That was last spring and they are still working. Clearly that door doesn't use much power.

I've got two heat lamps for night time and heated water inside the coop to help...
I hope we get some warmer weather to start some melting.

Snow is a good insulator.

We sent our sub zero cold out east for a bit and made it to 42* today, so I put in another 8 hours on the coop. I managed to trim out 3 windows, inside and out. I got the roof on, not the shingles, but the ply and tar felt, and drip edge. And the door is up, crooked, but I'll fix that next warm day. And the upper giant windows

Phew. Worn out!

NICE!

Back
Top Bottom