post your chicken coop pictures here!

Winds howled at 40 mph on my hill today. I managed the framework and painting on the run as well as the hardware cloth and trim on the peoe door.

Tomorrow, i'll paint the door trim, and until the wind gets unbearable again, work on the hardware cloth on the run and its second coat of paint.

So tired of this project!

Our new chicken coop is finished and full. We moved the big girls in late this afternoon after we fenced in the new coop to the run. We had fun just watching them exploring the new place. Now what do we do with all our free time.

That's going to pull water nicely, but you might want to put in some sort of exit for the water too, a length of pipe buried that leads to lower ground or something.
I thought about that but two things. I have a hill on one side,like I said, and the ground Is pretty flat from there on out till I get to the creek, about 75 feet away through the garden. I ain't digging that far and that deep. I have pretty sandy soil so I think it will drain OK. Sandy enough that I can walk in the garden right after a good soaking rain and just leave foot prints.

As for the leaving it a dirt floor? I haven't decided that yet. I guess if there is no reason to put down wood chips, why do it. Even tho I do have a good supply of it. About 18 yards worth. (I had a tree service dump 2 loads here earlier this year)

What is the consensus on putting litter in the run? I was thinking If I put down chips It might draw worms up for the chickens

I just about got the coop/run done. I got a few little odds and ends to wrap up but here it is....
Very nice set up! I bet your chickens love their new home. It's exciting -- we just finished ours too and last night was the first night for our 4 older girls. I notice you have wood chips under your poop board. Have you thought about Sweet PDZ. I tried it and it is amazing. So easy to clean up this morning.

We all survived the first night in the new coop. The girls did have some trouble getting up on the roast bars. Was a bit confused as where to go. My HB left them some art work in the PDZ last night and this morning they left us their own drawing.

They are a bit upset this morning as we have locked them out of the old coop ( the two are attached to the same run ). Plus it really raining here and normally they would go in the bottom open part of the old coop to get out of the rain. I want them to get use to the new coop. We are going to use the older one as a time out place. It's a 4x4 coop with a 4x8 open run under it. (started out as a tractor that didn't work like we thought it would).
Waiting now to see if they will use the nest boxes. Totally different than they had before. :)

We like to put some straw in the run, the poop stick to it nicely, especially under the roosts. But it's nice to have soil on the bottom, the birds can bathe in it and use it for grit.

Very nice set up! I bet your chickens love their new home. It's exciting -- we just finished ours too and last night was the first night for our 4 older girls. I notice you have wood chips under your poop board. Have you thought about Sweet PDZ. I tried it and it is amazing. So easy to clean up this morning.
I think I will keep the wood chips, they are free...

I went down to check on them last night and they were all huddled up together not even on the roosting bar. I don't think they are even using it. There is no poop on it hardly at all. And this morning I looked and they had a lot where I saw them last. It was a little chilly, mid 40s, I guess they were just staying warm

We all survived the first night in the new coop. The girls did have some trouble getting up on the roast bars...

Man! If I was a chicken, I wouldn't want to use a "roast" bar either! LOL The coop is awesome, and like a lot of humans, some chickens just don't like change... even if it is for the better. I'm sure after a week or so they will fully adjust and be right at home.
D.gif
highfive.gif

I think I will keep the wood chips, they are free...

I went down to check on them last night and they were all huddled up together not even on the roosting bar. I don't think they are even using it. There is no poop on it hardly at all. And this morning I looked and they had a lot where I saw them last. It was a little chilly, mid 40s, I guess they were just staying warm
Beautiful job on the coop! looks more like a "mother in law visiting" apartment
duc.gif
hide.gif
. From the pictures, your chickens look to still be pretty young. When mine were that age and first put in the coop, they did the same thing yours did. After a week or two, I would go in at roost time and place a few up on the roost and in short order, they all figured it out. As they get a little bigger, they'll be able to share heat side-by-side instead of all piled in in a ball on the floor.

edit: oh, one other thing, I'm completely with you on wood chips (free) in the run and a side advantage is deep litter that will make you some of the best garden dirt you could ever want over time!

Last edited:
Winds roared again today. But before i gave up,i managed one piece of demon wire (not fun on a calm day...add wind and ugh), and it's not shown in the photo. i trimmed the door for the run, and painted some more trimwork.

Then the wind won, i decided to climb on the tractor for the rest of the day and till the oat field and plant, add 10 cubic yards of compost to the garden for later tilling, and make buttermilk biscuits to go with our honey mustard chicken dinner.

That's all the energy i could find for the day.

I'm poofed, sunburned, and windburned.

Back
Top Bottom