post your chicken coop pictures here!

Nipple waterers are wonderful for keeping drinking water clean. I only have 3 chickens but between them and the wild birds I got tired of dirty poops and weeds kicked into the water. My girls free-range and since there's only 3 of them I got two Brite Tap Rubbermaid portable nipple waterers from www.chickenwaterers.com - I can move them around to keep in shade in the yard as the seasonal sun changes directions. The water stays so clean and insulated cool inside the containers. Ice cubes in summer is an added touch for really hot days. And if I needed to I can strap or hang the coolers inside the coop. I have two Brite Taps just as an added backup should one ever leak out (not likely just good sense).

I agree that the nipple waterers seem to be the best way to do it...I dont wanna have to clean water bowls out multiple times a day because I work to much for that and even though my wife is a stay at home mom she has 3 boys to deal with so having to constantly check the water bowls is too much...My plan is to build a small platform for this 35gal drum to sit on just outside the coop and have two pvc lines with 5 nipples on each line...one running through the wall of the coop and strapped against the wall on the inside and the other line strapped on the wall of the coop on the outside...this way they can have water both inside and out...Planning on building a extended roof overhang off the coop to cover the drinking area on the outside to keep it shaded as well...I have a million ideas and so little time! haha...this is EXACTLY why I just went ahead and bought a coop instead of building...I can manage little projects one by one...but trying to build anything extensive is just too time consuming!

Very nicely done for a first timer builder:)! How many chicken do you have in there?
smile.png
just six atm :) babys growing out in the tractor :) otherwise I refuse to count if I dont count it's not to many right lol?

That coop is in farm country, look to the right. I don't think it would matter if the coop were 200' from the woodshed. If there are rats that want to go to the coop, they will. Best to secure the food in strong metal cans with lids and if rats ARE a problem, maybe only feed the chickens when they are locked up in the rat proof areas.

I would suggest replacing the hook on the door with something predator proof though. Even a good wind will pop that door open. Happens to the doors on my barn. Besides a thumb latch, there is a 2x3 bolted (through the center) into the left side door that rotates over the other door (which is held closed at the top by a hook on the inside). The board is prevented from pivoting by a LONG hook connected to the left side door and running across the top of the board to an eye screw in the end that is over the right side door. But a good wind will rattle the doors enough that the hook comes out and the board rotates (even though I have to push on the right side door to pivot it closed) and the thumb latch pops somewhere in the process. The board is tight enough that the paint is rubbed off the right side door. But those winds (Santa Ana power without the heat) sometimes let the chickens out as early in the morning as they want, not that they mind one bit!

I will respectfully disagree
wink.png
-- a woodpile that close to a chicken coop is inviting a nice covered nesting area for many critters including rats who love dark secluded quiet places to raise families. True -- rats are invasive critters anywhere but why provide them convenient sheltered proximity to a coop? As previously state JMHO.

The moisture packs might be nice for moisture control but not an answer to ammonia ventilation.  Curious chickens might peck and break open moisture packs unless they are mounted high out of reach of their beaks - chickens will shred and just about eat ANYTHING.

Whatever you use for ventilation cover the holes with 1/2" hardwire to keep out small wildlife and wild birds.  Ventilation should not blow wind onto roosting hens - chickens can cuddle for warmth in the cold but they can't get out of drafts.

You sound like a worrier like me!  I love the care and thought you are putting into your coop!

I was thinking that this morning! I know there isn't a ton of moisture from that pack I put in but that isn't the same as the ventilation. I only have two vents the first is the one at the bottom of the coop shown in my first photo this is the second.

It's near the top but I think the wire is too large so I'll put another layer of wire there. The holes near the bottom are for little wooden slide doors to collect eggs. They need repairing. I don't want to make it too drafty but dont know if those two vents will keep the coop free of gasses. The way it's looking I might have just three hens now. They're getting older and some look like they might be roos.

I worry a lot! I want to make sure that the are not cramped, that their area is secure and that they are happy and healthy. I don't want to cause any deaths or illness due to my inexperience. But I really enjoy having and caring for my little ones. You've taught me a ton so I am very grateful!

[/URL]
Bought mine at Tractor Supply and assembled it. Good for starting out with 4 hens. Will eventually custom build a bigger coop and run (already drawing plans) and add more chickens next year. Love all the fancy, over the top chicken mansions! Too cool!

If you don't add more chickens this coop will do fine if it is eventually put INSIDE a larger covered run. Chickens only use coops to sleep or lay eggs but be advised the smaller coops are easily attacked by stray mutts or clever raccoons because the wood is not very secure on these smaller models. Love the boulder barrier at the perimeter base of the coop.

Back
Top Bottom