post your chicken coop pictures here!

They take less room than ramps and the chickens love to climb on them. Makes getting down off the perch fun and easy and most importantly, safe. They used to fly into the walls trying to get down.

Havent seen one since i was a kid and i used to live on a farm with hunting dogs and the weasels we had were about the size of a fox squirel. Dogs used to tree them on power poles all the time. Been in Michigan 70 years and never saw one the size of a mouse. They are related to the ferret and wolvarine.

You are right about their penchant for killing for fun. They will go through a chicken coop and kill every one. Only seen it once but it was a mess.
Just because you don't see them, doesn't mean they aren't there.

Consider yourself fortunate that your local coyote and raccoon populations don't come around during the day. Where I'm at, they can be found out and hunting in broad daylight. No such thing as nighttime only around here. I've had coon attacks at 10:00 in the morning, 5 hours after sunrise; coyotes trying to take birds at 2:00 in the afternoon.

Mine dont range so there is no temptation and my, used to be rural property, is now surrounded by subdivisions with people moving about. We used to have them at the edge of our yard at night and they could be heard howling around midnight most nights but we never see them. My son lived in GA in a trailer park and they used to have babies under his trailer. There is no longer any restriction to hunting and killing them in Michigan. When i was a kid you never heard any mention of them. We thought they only lived in deserts because they were a feature of most cowboy movies.

Consider yourself fortunate that your local coyote and raccoon populations don't come around during the day. Where I'm at, they can be found out and hunting in broad daylight. No such thing as nighttime only around here. I've had coon attacks at 10:00 in the morning, 5 hours after sunrise; coyotes trying to take birds at 2:00 in the afternoon.

Got rid of my guns years ago but if i ever experience something like that ill revert to my neighborhood vigilante persona. Fortunately lawmakers are wise enough to allow the killing of protected species if they are causing damage. Im a firm believer that wild animals are fine in the wild but have no place on my property and i used to enforce that with a vengance. I still spray for bugs and poison anything i can that scurries around getting into my stuff. This year for the first time in years i have shrews. Ill be going after them shortly. Both my adjacent neighbors trap moles and chipmonks so i dont have much trouble with them. One neighbor said he trapped over 20 chipmonks in one season.

My rear neighbor had so many groundhogs he had to grade his field before he could drive the tractor on it. That is why the codes require rat walls on buildings. Groundhogs can dig huge tunnels.

Havent seen one since i was a kid and i used to live on a farm with hunting dogs and the weasels we had were about the size of a fox squirel. Dogs used to tree them on power poles all the time. Been in Michigan 70 years and never saw one the size of a mouse. They are related to the ferret and wolvarine.

There are three species of weasels in Michigan, you clearly saw one of the two larger varieties that being the short-tailed or the long tailed they are much larger than the least...

As I said previous the least weasel is rarely seen in the wild, due to it's size but remember not being seen does not equate to not being there...

This is an adult male least weasel, the male is about 1.5 times the size of the female...

Here is another adult least...

They only weigh 1-2 oz as adults, there is not much to the little critters but they can take out an entire chicken coop in a blink...

If you read the page you will see their nesting burrow hole is only 1" round, thus the reason 1" chicken wire isn't going to slow them down, it's front door sized to them...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Least_weasel

Got rid of my guns years ago but if i ever experience something like that ill revert to my neighborhood vigilante persona. Fortunately lawmakers are wise enough to allow the killing of protected species if they are causing damage. Im a firm believer that wild animals are fine in the wild but have no place on my property and i used to enforce that with a vengance. I still spray for bugs and poison anything i can that scurries around getting into my stuff. This year for the first time in years i have shrews. Ill be going after them shortly. Both my adjacent neighbors trap moles and chipmonks so i dont have much trouble with them. One neighbor said he trapped over 20 chipmonks in one season.

My rear neighbor had so many groundhogs he had to grade his field before he could drive the tractor on it. That is why the codes require rat walls on buildings. Groundhogs can dig huge tunnels.

Shrews are good critters. They are insectivors. They eat the grubs that destroy lawns and gardens. Same with moles. Plus the digging activity arrates the soil. They do more good than harm.

MeepBeep, good luck getting the coyote. We too have the occasional day time one here. Glad my husband has his hunting license when one gets to be a pest. Typically the guys get after them over winter. Think they had 5 last winter just from our area close to home.

Just an FYI... Best deals I could find on hardware cloth is at Amazon. I bought a 48" x50' roll of 1/2" hardware cloth for $57.91 and free shipping with Prime. They have great deals on other widths and lengths also.

http://www.amazon.com/Gilbert-Benne...1463965345&sr=8-1&keywords=1+2+hardware+cloth

Good to know. We have a screen manufacturing company with a warehouse about 1.5 hours away from us. They had 48" x 100' rolls for $92! If they ever hike their prices, we'll have to check out amazon. But I like the idea of helping local companies too.

Here is what we have in pa but I haven't seen any but my uncle had ducks a weasel came out in the middle of the day and grabbed one of he ducks by the neck and killed it. Poor thing but now my cousin has them and they don't even go in there house that they gave them and nothing got them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom