post your chicken coop pictures here!

Run framing began today. I am ready for this project to be done.
th.gif

The quest for completion continues......
Love the idea of the privacy fence for the end. I may have to plan a new build down the road.

Ok, maybe nipple waterers are more efficient than hanging drinkers but they arent perfect. I got a puddle under the drinker when all 22 were trying to drink. There was enough dripping from the missed drops to generate a puddle on the concrete floor. Probably not more than a cup of water but never saw it before. I think it was because so many were trying to drink in a short time the water didnt ecaporate and so formed a puddle. There are no leakers and the water level is down about a gallon in one day so far which is about right. Its amazing how big a puddle a little water can make when it spreads out to a thin layer. Had me worried but felt better after checking the level :)

Would you believe i can hear the racket of their pecking the nipples from the middle of the barn?

We just got our nipple water system up and running today. I read that you should take out any other water set ups so that they will use the nipples. I hope that was right because i feel so guilty taking out their old water bottle, but the nipple system holds so much more and will be so much cleaner.

We just got our nipple water system up and running today. I read that you should take out any other water set ups so that they will use the nipples. I hope that was right because i feel so guilty taking out their old water bottle, but the nipple system holds so much more and will be so much cleaner.

Yes, water nipples are a convenience for us, chickens will use the 'open' watering devices that are more convenient for them if given the choice...

Ok, maybe nipple waterers are more efficient than hanging drinkers but they arent perfect. I got a puddle under the drinker when all 22 were trying to drink. There was enough dripping from the missed drops to generate a puddle on the concrete floor. Probably not more than a cup of water but never saw it before. I think it was because so many were trying to drink in a short time the water didnt ecaporate and so formed a puddle. There are no leakers and the water level is down about a gallon in one day so far which is about right. Its amazing how big a puddle a little water can make when it spreads out to a thin layer. Had me worried but felt better after checking the level :)

Would you believe i can hear the racket of their pecking the nipples from the middle of the barn?

We're new to the Chicken thing, but had the same concern about the nipples leaking and leaving us with damp bedding.

We came across the Beakup by beak time.

Basically a nipple in a cup... Added bonus @ShellAndSteph, in teaching them to drink as you can just fill the cups up, as they drink the water, they activate the nipple and get more.

The cup also comes off for easy cleaning.

I was amazed how quickly mine caught on. Less than a day and they were all drinking from it. Even the turkeys would squat down under the pipe and drink with their heads all twisted until i got the horizontal ones installed. Now the turkeys drink from the horizontal ones as do the larger chickens. I didnt trust it to be sufficient so left some drinkers for a few days but they all used the nipples like they were born doing it so keep an eye on them for a few days but i domt think you need to worry :)

Back
Top Bottom