post your chicken coop pictures here!

Yes when it gets cold out up by the rafters I put insulation in some of them. To help keep so,e of he heat in with the heat light and still let some air flow and days it gets a little warmer I open the windows up some also
Oops, my bad. I meant to be quoting @The brenners regarding their coop. What's your normal low range of temperatures in the winter, Roada Red?

Many thanks for your feedbacks magic storm, the poppster, perchie.girl, Roada Red, junebuggena ;)

For ventilation, everything is open! The advantage of wood is that it respires...
Our coop is made of cedar without any treatment. Cedar is highly water resistant for water jet cleaning. But the aspect would change without a stain or painting...
perchie.girl, plywood could be used too but it's less "good looking"

Not nearly enough ventilation. Ventilation needs to be constant, all day, and all night, all year long. A single opening will not provide adequate air exchange.

Not nearly enough ventilation. Ventilation needs to be constant, all day, and all night, all year long. A single opening will not provide adequate air exchange.

Yep, our chickens seemed to like it. But, you're true that we've done testing during winter. Maybe few holes would improve ventilation for the summer.

Many thanks for your feedbacks magic storm, the poppster, perchie.girl, Roada Red, junebuggena ;) For ventilation, everything is open! The advantage of wood is that it respires... Our coop is made of cedar without any treatment. Cedar is highly water resistant for water jet cleaning. But the aspect would change without a stain or painting... perchie.girl, plywood could be used too but it's less "good looking"
I would think that cedar wood would give off the same toxic fumes as cedar shavings?? Which are toxic to small animals and birds... Am I wrong?

Oops, my bad.  I meant to be quoting @The brenners
 regarding their coop.  What's your normal low range of temperatures in the winter, Roada Red?

Um this year it was maybe 20 degrees as our normal temp in the winter and some nights it did get down in the teens so I turned to heat light on and since I have sand on the coop floor I wouldn't have to worry about the straw and stuff catching on fire and to keep the wall protected I put a peice of tin foil on the wall closest to the light.

Many thanks for your feedbacks magic storm, the poppster, perchie.girl, Roada Red, junebuggena ;)

For ventilation, everything is open! The advantage of wood is that it respires...
Our coop is made of cedar without any treatment. Cedar is highly water resistant for water jet cleaning. But the aspect would change without a stain or painting...
perchie.girl, plywood could be used too but it's less "good looking"

I am doubly impressed..... I love the esthetics of hexagonal construction.

Others are speaking about ventilation. The ideal is to have positive flow from bottom to top to allow for humidity to constantly be flushed out. This is most imporant during winter.... Here in hot climates probably important year round. but we build differently here for the most part.

The reason for good air flow is to reudce the moisture build up inside the coop during those times when the weather is in-climate. condensation on the wood therefore moisture in and around the chickens can aid in allowing them to get frost bite.

I suspect your coop wont have those issues. Or if it does will be easy to remedy within the esthetics of the design.

There is an article about ventilation floating about here... I believe @Latestarter may have it in a link at the bottom in his signature. If Not I can dig it up if you want....

My question for the existing design is mechanical. How do you seal off or divert rain water that will hit that roof.... Keeping it out of the coop.

Another consideration is about roosting. Ideally roosts should be higher than the nests to encourage the hens to roost rather than sleep in the nest. This keeps the eggs clean.... chickens poo all night long unless they are broody and sitting on eggs to be hatched. From the pictures and the animation it would be a simple matter of raising the roost up for to five inches.

It could even be done as an adjustable bar. with lynch pins or simple carriage bolts and wing nuts.

deb

edited to add:

Found the article and yes at the bottom it has foot notes.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...-go-out-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop

Last edited:
Quote:
You know I learned that right here.... lots of good stuff spread out over a Bizzilian pages. I dont work with wood I build with steel when I need to use wood my pea brain treats it like steel. so you will find plywood wired to the walls of chainlink for wind protection.....
gig.gif

deb

Back
Top Bottom