post your chicken coop pictures here!

New Member but we have been lurking for some time now. Just about have our coop finished. Just a few small tweaks left. We have 12 hens and a rooster. 4 nesting boxes, horizontal waterer, and a hanging bucket feeder (thank you BYC for the ideas). We have a pelletized limestone floor. All the screened areas of the coop have metal panels that go over them for the winter. We added the fans as the temps and heat indexes have been brutal this summer. We used dog run panels and a suspended sun shade for our run. I am planning an automatic Ador for our door soon. I have the fans and lights on automatic voice control using the Amazon Echo. We can turn them on or off from the house using our voice. I plan on integrating the door and heat into the Echo too soon. We can also operate all these items from our smartphones from anywhere in the world. Just thought I would post a few photos and get your feedback.
Thanks
Jeff & Faith

New Member but we have been lurking for some time now. Just about have our coop finished. Just a few small tweaks left. We have 12 hens and a rooster. 4 nesting boxes, horizontal waterer, and a hanging bucket feeder (thank you BYC for the ideas). We have a pelletized limestone floor. All the screened areas of the coop have metal panels that go over them for the winter. We added the fans as the temps and heat indexes have been brutal this summer. We used dog run panels and a suspended sun shade for our run. I am planning an automatic Ador for our door soon. I have the fans and lights on automatic voice control using the Amazon Echo. We can turn them on or off from the house using our voice. I plan on integrating the door and heat into the Echo too soon. We can also operate all these items from our smartphones from anywhere in the world. Just thought I would post a few photos and get your feedback.
Thanks
Jeff & Faith
Incredible job! I love the idea of using Amazon Echo.
I'm not sure where on BYC's that I saw this, but you can attach (duct tape) a furnace fan to the intake side of those box fans to catch some of the dust and prolong their life. A 20 inch x 20 inch filter works for mine.
Well done!!!!

Great idea using the furnace filters. Next on my list. The Echo is working out great. Finding all kinds of uses. We have lots of our lighting connected and the shopping lists are handy. It's really spooky how well it works.

Great idea using the furnace filters. Next on my list. The Echo is working out great. Finding all kinds of uses. We have lots of our lighting connected and the shopping lists are handy. It's really spooky how well it works.

Great job on your coop and run! One thing that worries me is the run is open on top, if you can cover it with fence please. Hawks are horrible and yes been there had it happen. Also do you have a dig barrier on the bottom of your panels? (Fence or hardware cloth 18inches out from the panel bottom to keep predators from digging under) That has saved us from Fox and raccoon being trapped in my run as well.

We free range at times but have not had any hawk issues so far. The sun shade covers 90% of the run. There are 4 areas with about 12-18" of open space. If a hawk got in there I don't think it could fly out. As for the hardware cloth around the parameter of the run, we designed so the panels can be moved around in different configurations for fresh grass. While our run is not predator safe, our coop is. The girls are let out at around 8am and they are in and locked in the coop at dusk. We have 3 dogs and I am fairly certain that no harmful predators can get close to the run during daylight hours and I think a predator would have a difficult time getting in the coop. We have metal siding about 18" deep around the bottom of the coop. I appreciate the ideas and suggestions. If you have any others please share.

Update on the coop and run build I have the rafters all done now on the hen house and run. I need to add the perlins for the run and I have some parts on order for the run to complete the roof for the run. I am going to start roofing the hen house and putting some siding up next.

Mike

Update on the coop and run build I have the rafters all done now on the hen house and run. I need to add the perlins for the run and I have some parts on order for the run to complete the roof for the run. I am going to start roofing the hen house and putting some siding up next.

Mike

pop.gif
caf.gif

We free range at times but have not had any hawk issues so far. The sun shade covers 90% of the run. There are 4 areas with about 12-18" of open space. If a hawk got in there I don't think it could fly out. As for the hardware cloth around the parameter of the run, we designed so the panels can be moved around in different configurations for fresh grass. While our run is not predator safe, our coop is. The girls are let out at around 8am and they are in and locked in the coop at dusk. We have 3 dogs and I am fairly certain that no harmful predators can get close to the run during daylight hours and I think a predator would have a difficult time getting in the coop. We have metal siding about 18" deep around the bottom of the coop. I appreciate the ideas and suggestions. If you have any others please share.

Ah, I see now. You move it for fresh foraging. Very cool, I cannot,telephone poles used for my run.we turn ours out in the yard but watch them due to the hawk nest behind our property. The metal around your coop is great too, we have just used 1x2 spaced fencing so the air and mice can move better.

Back
Top Bottom