post your chicken coop pictures here!

Wow these coops are fantastic! My aussie coop seems a little plain in comparison
smile.png

Keeping the girls safe from area predators, shade, and providing lots of space always keeps them happy! Plan on free-ranging them a bit each day? Otherwise provide a perch, tree stump, child's table, a bench, a dust-bath area, plastic chair, a doghouse, or a couple potted plants/dwarf trees, etc, as things for them to keep from getting bored. We found our first 4x6 penned 2 chickens so active that after a month we had to free-range them -- but with lots of places to hide/snooze during the day. So far in 51/2 yrs we haven't lost a hen to the Cooper's Hawks. Love your big green property! We're going into our 6th-yr State drought and there's fire season warnings in effect!

Keeping the girls safe from area predators, shade, and providing lots of space always keeps them happy! Plan on free-ranging them a bit each day? Otherwise provide a perch, tree stump, child's table, a bench, a dust-bath area, plastic chair, a doghouse, or a couple potted plants/dwarf trees, etc, as things for them to keep from getting bored. We found our first 4x6 penned 2 chickens so active that after a month we had to free-range them -- but with lots of places to hide/snooze during the day. So far in 5[SUP]1/2[/SUP] yrs we haven't lost a hen to the Cooper's Hawks. Love your big green property! We're going into our 6[SUP]th[/SUP]-yr State drought and there's fire season warnings in effect!
Yes the fenced off top right corner is exclusively for the girls. We only got them 2 days ago so keeping them locked up for a few more days so they're a little more comfy in their surroundings. Our only predators are our dogs - greyhounds so the coop is made from a chain link wire dog run. We also have large eagles so the coop is fully enclosed. We will keep the dogs inside when they are in the chook paddock in the afternoons for extra security :)

Yes the fenced off top right corner is exclusively for the girls. We only got them 2 days ago so keeping them locked up for a few more days so they're a little more comfy in their surroundings. Our only predators are our dogs - greyhounds so the coop is made from a chain link wire dog run. We also have large eagles so the coop is fully enclosed. We will keep the dogs inside when they are in the chook paddock in the afternoons for extra security
smile.png

I love the space you have! Your backyard is the sum total of my front, backyard, small cottage, and garage! Hawks can be troublesome -- I noticed our Cooper's don't go after our hens if our girls are in a doghouse, under a shelter, next to a fence, under a bush, etc, even though he can see them. I don't think hawks like on-the-ground confrontations. I think they prefer an open space to swoop with talons onto their running prey. I have so many shelters around the yard our girls don't have far to go from one shelter to the next -- they pick their favorite spot to snooze/hide from any raptors and the wild birds sound the hawk alert just as much as the chickens do.

TJ.... you sure? I think it's football season, and isn't the world series right around the corner? Not to mention basketball and hockey firing up. OH, I forgot, hunting season is getting rolling too! Work around the yard will he? Hmmmm yeah...
fl.gif
definitely need some of those crossed fingers! Hope he gets some work accomplished!
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope you all have good weather! We're still sitting in 100+ temps here!!!
Two days ago we were sitting at 90F. Today we're barely getting into the 70's.

But, we're in the longest drought that we've had in a while here in humid(?) south Alabama. Matter of fact, with the current forecast we will have been without rain for well over a month...the first time that has happend in...a year?...two years?....10 years? It seems that 'bama is on cycle for 10 year droughts, more or less. I know that west side of the country has been under the gun for several years, but the rainfall there is normally much less than it is in the southeast part of the country. Lots of vegetation browning heavily down here. But, as a friend often says...it is what it is. :) Wish the best for everyone!!!

And TJ...the forecast looks great, there shouldn't be any issues with it other than being a bit dusty. ;)

Ed

Back
Top Bottom