POST your chickens and describe them!

So out of my batch of fifteen I am growing I have four I can describe.

PXL_20210706_142129751.jpg
PXL_20210706_224019432.jpg

Petunia (above) and Nancy (below) are the sweet ones who just want to be with the people. They quickly climb onto our hands when the brooder is open, and will quietly chirp wanting to be let out if the brooder is closed.

PXL_20210629_152249196.jpg
This is Cassius, so named because his eyebrows reminded me of the eyebrows of the actor David Hemmings, who played Cassius in the movie Gladiator. His imperial name is fitting as he is only 3 weeks old but already commanding the flock with his rooster attitude (can't wait until I am proven wrong about this now that I have claimed it publicly).

PXL_20210706_221922939.jpg
Then there Bugs. Bugs is named Bugs because we somehow had like a billion flies in our house this weekend and Bugs ended up eating Bugs' weight in those bugs. Always the first to the gate to see if I have a treat, and always the first to go find something better to do when I don't.

'Broody' the broody chicken... She is a Golden Comet (so a production breed) But goes broody ALL THE TIME. I gave her chicks once.. She is such a good Mom. Has survived and saved her chicks from multiple fox and raccoon attacks. I love this little lady. Even though she is not even a year old...
Broody Mom.jpg
Broody 1.JPG
Broody Mum.jpg

Maribel(light brahma)- confident, sweet, but not overly friendly
Betty(WTB)- always on high alert, exceptionally friendly, peace keeper
Prue(OE)- overly spastic, nosey, friendly
Piper(welsummer)- very friendly, extremely talkative, smart
Phoebe(Blue orpington)- very shy, standoffish, mellow
Officer: do you have a license to drive this vehicle?
Chicken: Bakah?

View attachment 2749542
This is Ginger, she’s a Speckled Sussex. Super sweet and calm, definitely can get riled up though! Very curious too. @Little Chickadee :th:love I have been trying so hard so get SSx EE but nothing! Can’t wait to see what that little one looks like all grown up❤

That makes two of us! I have wanted a speckled sussex and yours is beautiful! This little ones wings are growing crazy fast. Much faster than her 1/2 siblings. Maybe it's a sussex trait? Crazy active!

My Seramas!
80FD6B9B-00F9-4BF5-8FF2-82557CD8A0EB.jpeg

Snowbell:
1AB2B6D5-C49F-4657-91BB-415D48D80AEB.jpeg
Soft innocent baby boi who adores cuddles and affection. Also tries fighting the sun’s influence, but fails every time and melts into a puddle. However he is the brightest of the two cockerels, always first to try new things and picks up on things quickly. He has two hens named Betty and Boo.

Jeremy:
EAF19981-298F-4A7A-9534-0204895A7886.jpeg
Somewhat more aloof, “stop, you are embarrassing me” sorta boy. Still enjoys cuddles in private away from the spying eyes of the hens... He is a bit of a dunce though, taking three times as long to copy what he sees Snowbell do and usually avoids new things until he sees someone else interact with it. He and Dolly are inseparable... Mostly because he cannot escape her clutches! 😆

Dolly:
8255408E-EE32-46FA-81C3-C8105447FAA0.jpeg

Squishable, lazy ball of a hen. Dolly happens to be the largest of the flock and quite beautiful with her sheeny blue/green feathers. Though a layabout who loves her naps and to melt in the sun. Dolly is also very dominant and quite jealous. She hates seeing Jeremy flirt with other hens, chasing them away and glares Jeremy down as if she is about to bite his head off.

Betty:
75C24081-5B83-4414-B995-6DEAEB87EE42.jpeg

A beautiful, posh, polite and sweet bab. Betty is one of Snowbell’s two hens, a gentle gal with a gentle cockerel, they both often rely on Boo for the muscle. Betty is a bit of a clean freak and preens herself often, likely due to her plumage showing dirt more than the darker plumed chooks.

Boo. Destroyer of fingers:
EDDAEA95-3E68-47D8-A69C-C10AD2F4EABC.jpeg

You may hold her. You may feed her. She may even perch upon you and nap on your hand like a sweet little chickadoo... But do not pet her. She may be the smallest of the flock, but she is a Tyrannosaurus rex in disguise! While Betty and Snowbell are sweet and mellow, Boo will defend both with a vengeance, Boo sees being pet as demeaning and will show no mercy upon such insolence.

My Seramas!

Snowbell:
Soft innocent baby boi who adores cuddles and affection. Also tries fighting the sun’s influence, but fails every time and melts into a puddle. However he is the brightest of the two cockerels, always first to try new things and picks up on things quickly. He has two hens named Betty and Boo.

Jeremy:
Somewhat more aloof, “stop, you are embarrassing me” sorta boy. Still enjoys cuddles in private away from the spying eyes of the hens... He is a bit of a dunce though, taking three times as long to copy what he sees Snowbell do and usually avoids new things until he sees someone else interact with it. He and Dolly are inseparable... Mostly because he cannot escape her clutches! 😆

Dolly:
View attachment 2752319
Squishable, lazy ball of a hen. Dolly happens to be the largest of the flock and quite beautiful with her sheeny blue/green feathers. Though a layabout who loves her naps and to melt in the sun. Dolly is also very dominant and quite jealous. She hates seeing Jeremy flirt with other hens, chasing them away and glares Jeremy down as if she is about to bite his head off.

Betty:
View attachment 2752322
A beautiful, posh, polite and sweet bab. Betty is one of Snowbell’s two hens, a gentle gal with a gentle cockerel, they both often rely on Boo for the muscle. Betty is a bit of a clean freak and preens herself often, likely due to her plumage showing dirt more than the darker plumed chooks.

Boo. Destroyer of fingers:
View attachment 2752331
You may hold her. You may feed her. She may even perch upon you and nap on your hand like a sweet little chickadoo... But do not pet her. She may be the smallest of the flock, but she is a Tyrannosaurus rex in disguise! While Betty and Snowbell are sweet and mellow, Boo will defend both with a vengeance, Boo sees being pet as demeaning and will show no mercy upon such insolence.
OMG I love seramas... I wish I had them!

OMG I love seramas... I wish I had them!

They are right little characters, extremely docile as well for their size as I had thought they be a bit skittish... They remind me of chihuahuas with little dog syndrome as they act like regular sized chooks. 😆
Only real cons about them is that they can’t really free roam outside a pen without supervision due to the predator risk. They also need protection from the cold due to being a lightly feathered chicken in a constant molt.

Boo is an odd one as you can pick her up and hold her like a hotdog bun without her caring, she will even eat while held like that (had some fun using her as a grass trimmer Flintstones style), but bites you if you try to pet her.
4B774DFC-C171-4680-9869-E521ED84C286.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom