Post your exotic/domestic duck aviary/pool pics

Ya that's crazy its getting super close. It interesting to look back and see all that's been done. The pond is a long way from being "finished" in my mind but the ducks are just happy when there's water to play in. I'm always gonna find something to tweak on it or fix I'm sure.
Now about this cake......
Attimus
Chocolate_decadence_by_IMntHRimEVRYWHER1.jpg
@attimus Hope you don't mind I already had a slice.
wink.png

Last edited:
Well, I don't have a big, elaborate aviary - I'm in college, living with my mom, so I've built all of my pens to be transportable, with the idea that when I get my own place, all I'll have to do is rent a BIG trailer, get a few strong guys to help me, and move all the duck pens with me! /img/smilies/smile.png

Here's my favorite design so far - it still needed to be painted and shingled in the picture, and you can see that I hadn't hinged the little triangular door on yet. At this point, I HAVE painted it, but I still haven't shingled it - I just have two tarps to throw over the top when it rains. It's 8' long by 6' wide overall, and around 4' tall at the peak. So far, I've built two of these: one houses 6 Call ducks, and one houses 6 Bantam Cochin chickens, and I'm working on another that will house 4 Runner ducks. /img/smilies/smile.png

July2010107.jpg

Amazing enclosure! I have fallen in love with it and plan on building one just like it! Can you possibly explain how you made it? How do you clean it out? How do you get the eggs out of the enclosure? ( that is if you have any females haha) Please help me out as I need to build this quite soon! Thank you!

I'll go measure it. I want to say 3x5'. It's a 40 gallon tub i got at Tractorsupply.

I'll edit my post in a few minutes.

edit:

Ok, it's 52"x 30" or 2.5 feet x 4.25 feet

Not sure if i mentioned my aviary dimensions, but it's 5.5' wide x 13' lenghtwise x 7' tall

The netting technically makes the ceiling closer to 6'.

Last edited:
What ducks are tough but nice and are smart to escape foxes and coyotes

I love my Rouen ducks. They are lookalikes to Mallards, but bigger (7-9 pounds). There are two types: Exhibition and Production. You want Production Rouens, with no deep keel. They are instinctual, nice, QUIET birds that will hatch their own ducklings, find their own food, and can't fly- but can flap a few feet. Mine are always on alert, even as adolescents, and they always stop eating and quacking when a bird flys by or my dog bursts out of the bush. They lay 100-190 eggs per year.

Are they nice ????
I love my Rouen ducks. They are lookalikes to Mallards, but bigger (7-9 pounds). There are two types: Exhibition and Production. You want Production Rouens, with no deep keel. They are instinctual, nice, QUIET birds that will hatch their own ducklings, find their own food, and can't fly- but can flap a few feet. Mine are always on alert, even as adolescents, and they always stop eating and quacking when a bird flys by or my dog bursts out of the bush. They lay 100-190 eggs per year.

Are they nice ????

Oh yes! I love them. They are so tame. I like my SaxonyxRouens better, but my Rouens eat out of my hand. They're also very pretty and calm, as well as quiet. If you handle them frequently they will become very tame.
Here's a picture. The silver ones are the SaxonyxRouens, and they are my favorite, but I love my Rouens too! :love

Finally "upgraded" the ducks today. The kiddie pool they have been in was REALLY small and though they could float - sort of - they couldn't do anything else. We put a drain in our large kiddie pool, with a gate valve, and popped it in the corner of the run. There's enough water in there for them on one side (it is purposely not level for easy drainage of water) but still safe enough for the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom