Post Your First Egg of 2016!!!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by KsKingBee, Jan 29, 2016.

1. barkerg

barkerg Songster

Jun 28, 2015
    Salado, Texas
    So true about contamination and if not controlled with regular cleaning incubators fester up and fast.

Gerald Barker

2. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Crowing

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    I usually go the whole way through incubator or peahen. Except I'm just a small farm for now. I might, probably will change my methods once I start getting more peafowl.

3. MinxFox

MinxFox Crowing

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    I am the same as Birdrain. I would use laying hens because I have heard how effective they are, but I am not into raising chickens. I don't have any and I don't want any. [​IMG] I like seeing them at the local poultry show and feeding them but they just aren't my cup of coffee.

The house dog lies around a lot maybe she can cover some eggs. [​IMG]

4. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Crowing

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Hahaha! Also the breed of chickens I have none are brooders. I have Black Australorps and none of them are broody. I just let the peahen keep them if I can't put any in my incubator. This year though I will have a lot of eggs, having 4 hens that will be laying.

5. MinxFox

MinxFox Crowing

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    I have four hens that will be laying as well. [​IMG] You will certainly get plenty of eggs from four hens.

6. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Crowing

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    IB, White, Spalding, IB BS are what I got for now. Might be getting more but I have to sell some.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I got a couple about two weeks ago.

-Kathy

8. barkerg

barkerg Songster

Jun 28, 2015
    Salado, Texas
    I keep a small flock (15 hens, 2 roosters) of wheatens and orange quill gamefowl just for brooding purposes. A good gamehen is worth its weight in gold when it comes to dependability.

Gerald Barker

9. Congrats Kathy! Is that the normal timing for you living in the desert? (I assume that lower Ca. is desert...)

10. I had good luck using DWs BCMs last year, well I guess they did have a few problems. Like not going back to the same nest box, that may have cost me a few eggs. Then the hens would squabble and break a few eggs with two of them crammed in the same nest. And then when I didn't pull the chicks soon enough the other hens would attack the chicks. Then there was the time the hens got cocci...

Maybe I should stick with the incubator after all... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by