Post Your First Egg of 2016!!!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by KsKingBee, Jan 29, 2016.

1. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    How about this one?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Kathy

2. barkerg

barkerg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2015
    Salado, Texas
    X2, depending on candeling method you should start seeing blood veins at approx 5 days for peas and at 7 days there should be no doubt.

Gerald Barker

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    This is a Muscovy embryo at about day 7

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Kathy

4. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Muscovies incubation period about 30 days or is it 28 days like other ducks? The embryo stages of a duck and peafowl are similar. Or at least you would think since the incubation is the same time period.

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Muscovies incubation period about 30 days or is it 28 days like other ducks? The embryo stages of a duck and peafowl are similar. Or at least you would think since the incubation is the same time period.
    35-37 days.

-Kathy

6. Birdrain92

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    I don't think so. Once my duck starts laying I'll crack an egg open and post a picture. The white spot in an infertile egg is called Blastodisc and fertile egg it will have white around it and it's called Blastoderm. Easy way to keep them straight in my opinion. Blastoderm is means fertile because the suffix -derm means skin. That spot will develop into a chick and chicks have skin.
    Thank you. I think that all embryos develop at 7 days and then how they develop from the 7 days to hatch varies from species to species. I could be wrong.

7. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    I got my first egg of the season yesterday! It was under the roost. My Mom ate it today and she said it looked fertile. On one hand it feels like I waited forever for this breeding season to start, and on the other hand it feels like just yesterday last year's chicks were actually little chicks.

8. Argus

Argus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2015
    Northeast Ohio
    Found TWO eggs Monday evening. Hadn't even been looking because it's so early.

9. Birdrain92

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Just to help people out. This is an infertile chicken egg. Don't mind the brownie mix.
    [​IMG] It's the tiny white dot. Not the shine on the right side of the egg. Sorry my camera can't focus on it.

[​IMG]

10. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Thank you Birdrain you have inspired me to go check and see if we have any brownie mix in the house. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by